Sign in to follow this  
Chudanez

Was Listening to Machine Head's "Burn My Eyes" - 5150 content

Gotta love this album.

I've never been too fond of the 5150 sound for some reason (can't explain it), but i'm actually very tempted to get a 5150 now (*hint hint* i want to trade my Marshall TSL100 :p)

In the mix it sounds great, but as soon as there's a solo guitar bit with just the guitar, it just sounds mushy and overgainned as if they've just dimmed the gain.

Anyone else think this?

I thought this album was Dual Rectifiers? If so it's the coolest Recto tone I've ever heard.

I thought the 5150's came in after this album.

Originally posted by Chudanez

Gotta love this album.

I've never been too fond of the 5150 sound for some reason (can't explain it), but i'm actually very tempted to get a 5150 now (*hint hint* i want to trade my Marshall TSL100
:p
)

In the mix it sounds great, but as soon as there's a solo guitar bit with just the guitar, it just sounds mushy and overgainned as if they've just dimmed the gain.

Anyone else think this?

Take a listen to "Through The Ashes Of Empires". Tone is crushing.

Here's a track off of it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sz_lZmt1gRo&mode=related&search=

Originally posted by doomsdaymachine

Take a listen to "Through The Ashes Of Empires". Tone is crushing.

Here's a track off of it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sz_lZmt1gRo&mode=related&search=

That tone is a shit load more defined then Burn My Eyes (or at least my copy of the CD :p)

The Burn My Eyes tone just seems over gained at times and i wish they just turned it down and took out all that high end :p

Originally posted by nwright

THAT tone is the same 5150 and a Line 6 Flextone II HD for added low end.

why? do you really NEED any more low end than a 5150 alone can deliver? :freak:

Man I :love: Machinehead!

I can't believe nobody likes The Burning Red.

I like that album alot!

Another great thing about their sound is that they are tuned down to Z -

The result: heavier than Hell

Originally posted by Chudanez

Gotta love this album.

I've never been too fond of the 5150 sound for some reason (can't explain it), but i'm actually very tempted to get a 5150 now (*hint hint* i want to trade my Marshall TSL100
:p
)

Anyone else think this?

*Pulls out Deep Purple Machine Head and looks for Burn my Eyes song*

:confused:

Burn My Eyes was indeed a "block letter" 5150... it was boosted with an sd-1 and In my opinion is not only one of the better metal albums of that time , but is my favorite guitar tone of all time... Rob Flynn really seems to get his 5150's to scream... love that shit!:D

Burn my eyes is def my favorite along with Burning Red & Through The Ashes Of Empires, in which the production has obviously gotten tighter in the later. I also just got the In Flames DVD, and that is a KILLER 5150 tone. I was thinking about getting something different, but the more I hear and play them... it's a keeper! :thu:

Originally posted by zoean

Burn my eyes is def my favorite along with Burning Red & Through The Ashes Of Empires, in which the production has obviously gotten tighter in the later. I also just got the In Flames DVD, and that is a KILLER 5150 tone. I was thinking about getting something different, but the more I hear and play them... it's a keeper!
:thu:

Robb is a cool guy He just called me about a week ago to see if we were going to hang at the MH Show on April 1st in Lauderdale.

Originally posted by LowandLoudx97

Burn My Eyes was indeed a "block letter" 5150... it was boosted with an sd-1 and In my opinion is not only one of the better metal albums of that time , but is my favorite guitar tone of all time... Rob Flynn really seems to get his 5150's to scream... love that shit!
:D

Yes, one of the best metal albums and one of the reasons why I needed to have a 5150.

Rob used a cheap RG Ibanez with an EMG 81 in the bridge through a block letter 5150 boosting with an SD-1 on the rhythm channel, crunch engaged of course....

He presently boosts his 5150 with an Ibanez TS-9, Phil uses the SD-1.

What's his settings again, I remember someone posting them a while back.

Rob gets some amazing 5150 rhythm tones on a lot of the Machine Head discs. I think Burn My Eyes, TMTC and FTEAE are some of the best 5150 tones ever recorded. He tunes down to like B doesn`t he? Something crazy. I tried it once and couldn`t even touch the strings without everything going out of wack. Rob must have a soft touch.

Isn`t Rob still playing his origional 5150 through Marshall cabs and Phil is playing a 5150 II through marshall cabs. I think I read that somewhere. If so, that`s a killer combination for live tone.

I`m glad they have stuck with the 5150 because it works so well for them. I don`t understand why all these other classic 5150 bands have been jumping ship so much. Everything was so much nicer before KRANK started waving the cash around.

Eric

He has great tone, Its what made me get a 5150. And he tunes to drop B. I tune to drop B/A sometimes, It never gets mushy with 70 gage Boomers, Keeps it really deep and tight, And the EMGs are made for it.

I played 70s even tuned to D, They were A little tight but I love the thickness/tightness of them.

I still cant decide wether to tune To A or B on my Demo..

I love them both,, Maybe Ill do a couple songs in each or something.

Another brilliant 5150 tone:

Chimaira - Pass Out Of Existance

More and more from listening to my old albums i'm hearing 5150 tones crop up. I never really liked 5150s but i'm growing accustomed to that sound :p