Looking for an affordable, portable synth(Microkorg-ish)

• Members

I make electronic music, most of it is a bit different from what gets made in the local scene, it's more quirky, synth popish, videogameish etc.

I make most my stuff with VSTs, Soundfonts, Samples etc.

One of my problems with synthesis is that it seems that most in the way of sounds has been done. Subtractive synthesis can only do so much. You have FM Synthesis, which can be great for some things, it seems a shame it's not used anymore, but it can sound cheesy as all heck so I can understand why.

I have a Microkorg at the moment. Before I mostly relied on ROMplers & VSTs + controllers. I like having the one unit with sounds. A lot of the sounds on the Microkorg actually impress me, they sound big, warm and thick compared to some VSTs and analogue modelers I've heard. However, I can also see what other people say, it sounds "cartoony". It's also a bit overexposed as a synth.

A lot of the sounds in my music are derived from using various samples used as instruments(in Trackers etc.). A lot are taken from Analogue & FM Synths, some are a bit more unique. I tend to use a lot of world instruments too, some of them can sound quite surreal in the right context. A ROMpler with analogue synth capabilities can be quite useful like this as you can combine acoustic instrument samples with synth ones, I made some interesting sounds like this before.

Of course, using VSTs with an MIDI controller can be the easiest way and doesn't cost anything, but I want something Solid for gigging. I run loops off my laptop and don't want to rely on it anymore than that(even considered getting a sampler). It can also be awkward switching between VSTs, etc., whereas in a good synth you can easily combine many different kinds of sounds.

I'm not sure what I want, I've been looking at the Microkorg XL, the increased Polyphony is good, the acoustic waveforms could be useful too(though not so much for emulating those instruments). The Vocoder is better too - that's something I will actually use, though I'm thinking about getting one of the EHX units(don't know which yet).

The lack of reverb on the XL really irritates me. I imagine playing around with the delays might get close though.

There's the Alesis & Akai mini synths, though they seem even more focused on Analogue sounds, the MKs have some digital ones too at least. I've considered the R3 but I've heard the build quality isn't great, if I'm paying more than the XL I'd want decent build quality, and it's bigger too. The MK is just right for my desk - I could take a slightly larger synth. 37 keys has generally been enough, a 49 key mini synth would be interesting too. Also considered the Microstation.

My main options are:

1) Keep the MK, and find some kind of Desktop module

2) Sell the MK, get an MK-XL(and pair it with an external FX unit)

3) Sell the MK, get a Microstation(Might not have any room - cramped for space)

4) Some other synth I haven't heard of.

• Members

It looks neat, and I checked it out yesterday when it was mentioned, but way out of my price range. The Microkorg is a little pricey for what it is in some ways considering what you can get for a bit more around the $600 mark(a {censored}ton of great synths) so really I'm looking for something around the same price but better for what I do.

Also, I'm looking for something small and portable. I'm likely going to be carrying a Guitar and effects around too. I don't necessarily need anything complicated, in fact that might be a bad idea. Just something similar to the Microkorg but with a different vibe. The XL is winning out so far.

• Members

As an alternative, what about a 49 key controller or synth and rack modules? External effects are always going to be nice to have. You could even get an older rackmount workstation and not use the laptop anymore at all.

The MicroKorgs have a nice sound, I have an MS2000BR, but they're just getting too common anymore. Every indie band seems to have one if not more. Have you considered a blofeld? I'm not sure what your budget is.

• Members

As an alternative, what about a 49 key controller or synth and rack modules? External effects are always going to be nice to have. You could even get an older rackmount workstation and not use the laptop anymore at all.

The MicroKorgs have a nice sound, I have an MS2000BR, but they're just getting too common anymore. Every indie band seems to have one if not more. Have you considered a blofeld? I'm not sure what your budget is.

Yep, exactly. It's getting worn a bit thin.

I have a 61 Key Controller already, and I like to use the MK as a Controller too. I don't have much room for the controller in my apartment, whereas the MK sees tons of use. But if I'm getting a separate module I have a pretty small budget. I wish there were cheap, functional modules in the same way you can pick up a Digitech Multi-FX to cover a lot of your guitar bases. Even one of the old Roland ROMplers released in Desktop format would be neat.

• Members

The Micro-X combined with the microSAMPLER would be a good combo. Micro-X has loads of acoustic and synth sounds that are simple to tweak and edit, then you can bounce loops out of your DAW into the microSAMPLER and create sequences for live use. Both could fit in a backpack.

• Members

$200? won't find much in that range. Def not the XL. MAYBE a Micron. You'll need to up your budget by at least twice that amount.

200 is for a module to use with my MK. If I'm replacing the Microkorg(i.e. selling it) obviously it's at least twice that.

Also, I'm looking for 37 keys, or 49 minikeys tops. I don't find myself using more than 37 keys for synth stuff, most simple waveforms tend to fart out in the low end and be too thin in the high end.

• Members

The Venom is nice but it's far too large for me, and possibly too expensive. I need something small.

There are some nice Rack Modules in my price range, but I don't know about those. They tend to be large and heavy and not have the best interfaces(since they're older they obviously won't support USB editting either)

• Members

Well, by limiting yourself to something that is small, has a minimum of 37 keys, under $200 AND portable... there's really no stand alone instrument that exists with that criteria besides a MIDI controller for a laptop.

That's only for a module, modules don't have keys :/

No offense or anything but a lot of people aren't reading my posts...

If it's a synth replacing the MK, I'm looking for something in the same price range as the MKXL

• Members

That's only for a module, modules don't have keys :/

No offense or anything but a lot of people aren't reading my posts...

If it's a synth replacing the MK, I'm looking for something in the same price range as the MKXL

We are reading your post. You're saying you want something that has more than analog sounds, but it's hard to find something portable and within the right price that covers that.

I suggested a Micro-X and microSTATION combo. The Micro-X can operate on 16 MIDI channels at once, playing back 16 sounds, while the microSAMPLER operates on 2 MIDI channels and has a sequencer. If you're good with MIDI, you can set up all 57 keys to play a single sound on one unit, or split things in interesting ways. Both would total to about $650 if you found the right used priced on eBay. If you have $200 to spend and sold the mK, you wouldn't be too far off.

• Members

I am not quite sure what you really need but do I own both the Microstation and the Microsampler and they are a massive combo.

The Microstation is very small, smaller than the Venom and around the same width as the GAIA or the UltraNova but with a debth about the same as the Microkorg XL. The Microstation is a full fledged synth, rompler, workstation, with effects and a sequnecer, all in a minibox. The Mini keys on the Microstation even seem to be a bit better than the ones on my Microsampler which are in fact the same as the MKXL. The Microstation also has much richer an complexed sounds than the MKXL and can compete in all areas such a subtractive, VA, and FM. I will be honest though, it sounds like a workstation.

Now the sampler does the one the Microstation cannot, sample and it does it in a very cool way.

• Members

I like the sound and looks of the Ultranova best so far but it's a lot to pay for a monotimbral synth. Even my MK can layer sounds.

I don't know if I want a Workstation.

I may end up getting the MKXL for cost and portability, but really I'd like the Ultranova. The Gaia is kind of neat too with all it's knobs. I wish one of them had minikeys, it really cuts down on size and I don't mind them at all.

• Members

Fluttershy!

I know its too big but Venom is my current favorite though I don't own one yet. alternatively:

UltraNova

Gaia

MKXL

R3

Miniak

for modules:

MS2000r: upside is that you can buy two and chain them for more polyphony

Tetra

An200

Dx200

alternatively a small controller + NI Kore Player + Massive (or other NI synth)

• Members

Do you really need multitimbrality? If you need to split keyboard or hook up midi controller and play another sound with it, yes, then you do, but when it comes to layering sounds (that's what you said about the MK), you are using some serious complex sounds if you can't do them with 3osc/2fil/3lfo/6env synth with effects and good modulation possibilities.

Archived