Nerine

• Members

Hi,

In January i will have saved about 1k to spend on a new amp.

I'm mainly playing rock to hard rock, not really any metal, but i do dabble sometimes. I want some nice mid gain tones and i want some higher gain tones for leads etc.

The amp must

1. If it has one channel, have an fx loop so i can boost the volume with a GE7

2. Reverb is not important but dont mind either way

3. Not be a Mesa or Peavey

4. Not be a TSL or DSL, i dont like them.

5. Currently looking at the THD Uni or BiValve, Orange Rockerverb 50, Soldano HR 50.

6. I really want something that will either complement my Mesa or blow it out of the water tonally so i can flog it and buy more amps.

7. Should i be looking at ENGL or Framus also?

8. Wattage isnt really important, I personally do not need more than 50 but whatever will do cos ill probably buy an attenuator if it is a loud 'un.

My Mesa just seems to be struggling to cut like i want it to and is beginning to lack in fluidity. My opinion of it is slowly waning, although i still really like it i feel that atm, the rockerverb will get me nearer to where i need to be. I think they sound a bit more old school which is the kinda sound i am after. The Mesa, no matter how i dial it just seems to sound too modern all the time.

Cheers.:thu:

• Members

If you want something different from your mesa, then I would look at a LaneyVH100R or the new multi-channel Marshall head.

The Laney is a better amp (IMO) than the Recto you have and its not expensive either. Save some money in the process and then get yourself some nice quality effects unit and you'll be set.

• Members

Thanks.

Im not into using effects that much tbh, i cant remeber the last time i used my MM4. I only use a bit of delay, boost and wah here and there.

i have heard the Laneys before and while i thought that they sounded good, i thought that they just seemed a bit dull and generic IMHO!

VHT's?

• Members

Originally posted by Nerine

Thanks.

Im not into using effects that much tbh, i cant remeber the last time i used my MM4. I only use a bit of delay, boost and wah here and there.

i have heard the Laneys before and while i thought that they sounded good, i thought that they just seemed a bit dull and generic IMHO!

VHT's?

mmm...ok....well, sure if you dont mind paying a fair bit, the VHT would be an excellent choice, although they are fairly modern sounding amps.

Some other suggestions:

Mesa Mark III (second hand)

Egnater TOL (second hand)

Or you could just get a cheap JCM 800 also used. Slap it with a stomp box, and you'll get great tone. Im still not convinced you need to break the bank.

• Members

lets see.

Engl invader is somewhat outside your price... i dont know how much the other engls cost.

Marshall JVM is 799 RRP so if you could get that cheaper in a shop youd have a bit of money spare for something else, cheap guitar perhaps?

the THD amps are supposed to be very good and lively anyway

they are the only amps i've looked in to with some detail.

• Members

Must admit, i quite like the Idea of an 800,

I have a feeling that they would cut real well and be aggresive as fuck!!! Real Rock like.

Maybe get An 800, AND a RV50 used!

Three heads would be pretty awesome, but would need more cabs!!:cry:

saw this though:love:

l_Marshall1987stack.JPG

• Members

Originally posted by Sick Michael

If you want something different from your mesa, then I would look at a LaneyVH100R or the new multi-channel Marshall head.

The Laney is a better amp (IMO) than the Recto you have and its not expensive either. Save some money in the process and then get yourself some nice quality effects unit and you'll be set.

I'd probably look at the tt for rock and hard rock. it's a nice amp.

I guess, what do you mean by rock and hard rock, nerine?

:thu:

Originally posted by Forbidden

Cornford Hurricane

ooh, +1!

little over though, at

• Members

If you like it rich, fat and a bit loose: Orange Rockerverb 50 or Bogner Shiva

If you like it punchy and tight: VHT Fifty/CL, Splawn Quickrod or Diezel Einstein

Just my suggestion, but in that range there is lots of choice. I like the tone of the Marshall Vintage Modern as well ... try as many as you can and just go for what feels best.

• Members

I would class hard rock as sort of sabbathy with a bit more gain, and rock a bit less but with a bit more mid range.

Played war pigs through a Rockerverb 50....

:eek::love::thu:

If you like a heavy midrange sound, how about adding a good treble booster or TS-808-type overdrive to push your Recto? I've had really good luck with both my HBE Germania and DigiTech Bad Monkey boosting my Tremoverb. Since the EQ on the Recto is post distortion, all you have to do is compensate for the up front pedal as need be. For instance, a treble booster adds lots of mids and highs, so I like to drop the gain, treble and mids, and increase the bass. My Germania makes my T-verb sound like it has EL-34s instead of 6L6s. :)

• Members

Must admit, i quite like the Idea of an 800,

I have a feeling that they would cut real well and be aggresive as fuck!!! Real Rock like.

Maybe get An 800, AND a RV50 used!

Three heads would be pretty awesome, but would need more cabs!!:cry:

saw this though:love:

l_Marshall1987stack.JPG

• Members

Originally posted by hal9000

If you like a heavy midrange sound, how about adding a good treble booster or TS-808-type overdrive to push your Recto? I've had really good luck with both my HBE Germania and DigiTech Bad Monkey boosting my Tremoverb. Since the EQ on the Recto is post distortion, all you have to do is compensate for the up front pedal as need be. For instance, a treble booster adds lots of mids and highs, so I like to drop the gain, treble and mids, and increase the bass. My Germania makes my T-verb sound like it has EL-34s instead of 6L6s.
:)

See Sig:thu:

Archived