Patch Help - Another One Bites the Dust (Queen)

• Members

I need to cook something up for that sound that fades in at the beginning - starting at 0:20 and "peaking" at 0:27.

[video=youtube;rY0WxgSXdEE]

Heard again at:

1:06-1:11

1:20-1:26

2:12-2:18

2:37-2:42

etc.

A bit of digging reveals that they used a lot of OB-X on that record. I do have the OP-X in my Receptor so I *should* be able to replicate something close (assuming it was used on that track).

However I also found this:

After the guitar stuff was recorded Freddie, John and Mack did the synth-sounds and effects. It's quite complicated to explain the synth-tracks, but I'll try it. I suppose that's all one track, but I'm not sure.
At 0:14 a effect fades in, which is a piano-tone played backwards
. This thing also happens at 1:01, 1:15, 2:31, 2:46 and 3:20. The effects that are following the backwards piano are cymbals that are filtered and treated and pitched higher.

In the middle part there are lots of synth-things. It starts with a low rumbling backwards piano, then there is a very tricky thing by Brian done with the two distorted guitars: he does a dive bomb with the bar and picks the strings in a special way that I can't explain. He uses a echo pedal for this. Then the synth plays a helicopter sound, doubled with a swept-pad and some filter and flutter effects, then the piano follows and finally there is a filter effect again. And at 3:00 you can hear a little richochet.

Welcome your thoughts and insights!

Thanks guys!

• Members

Take a piano sample and play it backwards. Do you have a sampler in your Muse Receptor? Otherwise, pick up an old Akai sampler or something along those lines.

I should be able to find a passable piano tone and record into the Mac using Audity and invert it. I will probably apply the effects on the Receptor.

Archived