Commodore 64 is back!

girevik

• Members

It uses Atom processors, might as well just by a netbook for less. Also, for the price that they're asking, a mac mini blows it away. It's cool that they're releasing these, but they're overpriced for what they are and everyone knows that if you want to make music, you need to wait for them to release the new Amigas. :)

• Members

It's cool that they're releasing these, but they're overpriced for what they are and everyone knows that if you want to make music, you need to wait for them to release the new Amigas.
:)

The new "Amigas" are just middle-of-the-road HTPCs. :(

• Members

The new "Amigas" are just middle-of-the-road HTPCs.
:(

The thing that really amazed me about those Amigas is that they're marketing them as home entertainment center computers, yet the case alone has 3 80mm fans. Add on the graphics card and CPU cooling fans and there is no way I would ever want to use that as a media center computer. They should really be looking into innovative passive cooling designs instead of making a "pretty" case and filling it full of off the shelf components. I can't imagine that Commodore is all that quiet either.

• Members

It uses Atom processors, might as well just by a netbook for less. Also, for the price that they're asking, a mac mini blows it away. It's cool that they're releasing these, but they're overpriced for what they are and everyone knows that if you want to make music, you need to wait for them to release the new Amigas.
:)

The mighty Korg Kronos runs on Atom processors, so I wouldn't view Atoms as a negative. $595 for a C64 is less than $699 for a Mac Mini, no?

• Members

Wow... So it wasn't an April's fools joke?

No SID chip?

Even though I've never never touched let alone played a single C64 game I've been fascinated by the sound the SID chip makes for ages. Luckily I do own a Sidstation but it would be nice with a 8580 (or even a new revision) chip to make music with, too.

And why is the Amiga 2000 larger than the 3000, btw?

I do see a use for this device, though. If it weren't for the fact that I already have an Asus EEE and if I didn't use my TV for, well, watching TV while I use my EEE, this would've been a great thing. Actually...what's the price? Can't find it on their site.

• Members

The mighty Korg Kronos doesn't have to run windows in order to run virtual synths.

$595 gets you a Commodore 64 with an Atom dual core 1.8 GHz cpu, 2 gigs of ram, a 160 gig HD and no mention of an optical drive. At that price there is no way that that is an SSD either. $699 gets you a Mac Mini with a 2.4 GHz core 2 duo cpu, 2 gigs of faster ram and a 320 gig HD. Now by no means am I saying that Macs are cheap, but if this Commodore is in Mac Mini price territory with lower grade specs then I can guarantee you that there are cheaper versions of the same hardware as this Commodore if not faster for less money. Also, the Commodore only comes with Ubuntu, if you want to (legally) run Windows, add another +/- $100 to that depending on the version of windows you want to use.

Not my idea of a good deal and who knows how the chipsets they picked are going to work with audio interfaces.

• Members

Too bad only Apples will run OSX.

This would be an attractive option for a "kids" computer. Brings me back to the good old days when I was eight and I had an Atari 800xl with the big old floppy disks. Man I wish I could play Mastertronic's "Ninja" on my MacMini.

[video=youtube;ab0yR01O-n0]

• Members

They're praying on our fond memories of the past. This new Commodore 64 is the Jupiter 80 of the computer world.

At least it's not made by Roland so we can't declare it a failure just yet. Soon I imagine though...

• Members

Ah, it does not have a solid state drive. Oh well.

Easy enough to crack it open and replace it if you really wanted to. I've already upgraded my 2006 MacMini with a 7200 RPM Hitachi HD (and a 2.33Ghz Core 2 Duo up from a 1.5Ghz Core Solo). I've been wanting to replace the Hitachi with a 40GB SSD from OWC. They're like $100 and supposedly give you much better performance.

• Members

You can put any drive you want in the $250 barebones model. I'm considering this - really disappointed its not a real C64 with SID chips - but it looks so cool!

also Apple doesn't want you doing it but you can put MacOS on many PCs by doing a hackintosh. It even works on netbooks (not well on mine apparently)

Archived