Ibanez V7 / V8 pickups really that bad?

monkeysuit

• Members

Originally posted by monkeysuit

I've fallen in love with that new MTM2 Mick Thomson signature guitar that comes with the V7/V8 setup.

Now everywhere i read something about that setup its like:

wow, awesome guitar but i had to swap pickups with dimarzios,emgs....

are they really that bad?

Well, I played many years with my RG507 which has V7 & V8 pups and I bought a RGT3020FM w. Paf pros a few months ago. There's a huge difference in the sound on those. I like DiMarzios a lot more.

• Members

I found the bridge pickup sounded thin and the neck pickup sounded muddy and both had poor definition.

I replaced the ones in my 1989 RG550 with a Seymour Duncan Original Parallel Axis Trembucker and a SD '59 Model. Much better sound. Neither of them are high gain pickups.

• Members

thanks for the opinions. looks like i should put some money aside to get at least a new bridge humbucker if i decide to get the guitar.

still i wonder why ibanez puts such pickups in a slipknot signature guitar, i mean who would play mainly low/med gain stuff with it....

• Members

I dont see a problem with them. The V7 is a fairly nice pickup. I've put numerous pickups in my RG570 and I'm back to my V7/V8's because they happen to work better for most applications I need, especially once the "omg omg my guitar now has upgraded pickups yeah!!!!" phase wears off. They worked much nicer than the Jazz/JB thats for sure. I had various dimarzios in there as well, but either switched those to other guitars or sold them, they worked better than the stock ones, I'll stick another set in there in the near future.... but thats just because of personal preference. I find the stock ones entirely useable.

• Members

The V7 and V8 do not match the quality of the Japanese Ibanez RGs. They are low quality pickups. The older V1 and V2s were far better in the tone department. Even better were the QM1 and QM2 prestige pickups -- they were incredible pickups.

• Members

Originally posted by SBlack

The V7 and V8 do not match the quality of the Japanese Ibanez RGs. They are low quality pickups. The older V1 and V2s were far better in the tone department. Even better were the QM1 and QM2 prestige pickups -- they were incredible pickups.

+1 I've got a set of stock Ibanez pups in my old 1985 proline that aren't going anywhere. They are great sounding pups.

cybill-04.jpg

• Members

I've got pairs of all the old Ibanez pickups in their original wired pickguard configurations:

V8 & V7 & single

V2 & V1 & single

non-marked PAFs & single in original RG550s

PM with offer if anyone wants any of these? Again, they come wired to the original pickguard, switch, knobs, etc.

• 13 years later...
  • Members

Many years later ... I'd like to add that I replaced the V pickups in my 1996 Ibanez 550 LTD soon after I purchased it for Dimarzio XN II & PAF pro.  Very happy with and despite the V pick-ups aren"t bad, I am thinking that they don't match the quality of the guitars that carry them. I gives me the strong idea Ibanez has put them in their cheaper guitars AND in more expensive series knowing - and supporting - that they would be replaced by pickups of personal choice. 

Eric

• 2 years later...
  • Members
On 1/1/2007 at 9:21 AM, Alchemist said:

I dont see a problem with them. The V7 is a fairly nice pickup. I've put numerous pickups in my RG570 and I'm back to my V7/V8's because they happen to work better for most applications I need, especially once the "omg omg my guitar now has upgraded pickups yeah!!!!" phase wears off. They worked much nicer than the Jazz/JB thats for sure. I had various dimarzios in there as well, but either switched those to other guitars or sold them, they worked better than the stock ones, I'll stick another set in there in the near future.... but thats just because of personal preference. I find the stock ones entirely useable.

I play a RG550 with the v7 v8 and generally speaking I think they're Ok all around pickups, designed with versatility in mind, but I also find they don't keep up well with some high gain amps, lo-fi sort of, and same for clean sounds depending on what amp may sound a bit dull.