Can you tell me about the Roland BC-30 Blues Cube amps?

Humbucker

• Members

These amps are no longer made by Roland, can you tell me what's your opinion on them?

I have a mid-80s 50W solid-state Marshall 5210 112 combo, not a bad amp but I might have a chance of getting a used BC-30 Blues Cube. Is it safe to assume that the Blues Cube would be a better amp?

I'm not looking for lots of features, just great tone. I'm pretty sure that the BC-30s clean tone is great but what about the crunch tone?

• Members

They have pretty good crunch tone for a solid state amp. I used to own one (but a 50 watt model). They are a bit warmer than most older SS amps. They take pedals reasonably well too If you plan on using it for live duty, you will probably want more than a thirty watt SS amp though...

• Members

Here's a pic of mine:

Guitar007.jpg

You are correct about the clean channel, luscious with p-90's or a humbucker backed off a bit. Great bluesy tones in there with some light crunch added in. The lead channel has a post and pre amp adjustment so you have a ton of options with distortion. It works fine for me but I'm not a serious metalhead by any stretch.

I mainly run my Zoom g2.1u through the clean channel for anything with distortion, that's more for convenience than lack of tone of behalf of the Cube. It does take pedals very well. I paid just under $150 off ebay, I think it's a great deal for a 1x12 with that sweet clean channel. The onboard distortion is just a bonus to me.

What kind of deal are you getting?

• Members

Update:

Buying this amp from this pawnshop, it would cost $242.00 USD (taxes-in).

I got to try out this BC-30 amp tonight and I find the crunch channel isn't all that great, keeping it at about mid-point helps IMHO.

I'm not sure if you could gig with this amp since it's only 30 watts(solid-state), not tube watts. Probably wouldn't keep up the drummer.

The clean channel is very nice, I could come very close to my Fender Twin's tone. This did impress me. This clean channel also sounds good when it's pushed to the point of breakup.

One thing that would seal the deal for me with this amp is if it had reverb, that would definately improve things. If I had the choice, I'd get rid of the "Crunch" channel and put reverb on this amp, now THAT would be really sweet!

If I ever see the larger BC-60 which comes with reverb, I think that I'd jump on it, as long as the price was right of course.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived