Is it bad to leave my digital piano on for extended periods of time?

ffud

• Members

Hey, random question.

I just got a yamaha p155 digital piano. I am primarily a guitar player and because I have tube amps I am naturally uncomfortable with leaving stuff on when I'm not using it. If I forget to turn off my piano and leave for several hours, is there anything wrong with that? There's no tubes to kill. Can I turn it on in the morning, forget about it all day and then turn it off before going to bed and not worry about it?

thanks

• Members

There are 2 school of thought. One is that turning electronics on and off is taxing on the switches and components. Two is that thing will wear out faster if you leave them on (LCD screens for example). Either way you are producing more heat and electricity by leaving things on all the time, with more possibility for wear as well. Internal battery life is the same either way these days. I am inclined to think that Keyboards are a little different than computers and should be turned off after being used for any length of time, at least at the end of the day. :)

• Members

Electronics tend to fail at either the very beginning or very end of their life. Leaving it on a lot when it is new will help burn it in, and will ensure that IF it decides to fail prematurely, it will do so during the warranty period.

I leave stuff on for days.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Keeping your piano on probably won't really hurt it, but many piano lifetimes are measured in total hours, and when you leave it on, you're slowly wearing out the electronics.

Actually, from what I've read, turning solid state electronics on and off puts more stress on the microchips than just leaving it on.

But I usually turn my keyboards off at night.

• Members

Actually, from what I've read, turning solid state electronics on and off puts more stress on the microchips than just leaving it on.

Maybe, but I think it would be negligible at worst. These companies test the heck out of everything to see how long they last, and to at least ensure that they will survive the warranty period. if you have a 'board acting up because you're simply turning it on/off, it's a manufacturer defect and needs to be repaired.

Save yourself some money and turn it off. if you habitually forget, get one of those wall outlet timers so it will turn off anything plugged into it, and you won't be running it all night long.

• 8 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

I'm a big fan of turning my keys off, mainly due to the LCD drain issue. But, I guess it depends on how long you're hoping keep your equipment. I'm not planning on making any changes to my rig for the rest of my life, 30+ years. I doubt I'll make it.  I think my current key rig has only seen a couple of changes over the last 12+ years.