Don't You forget about me

maarkr

• Members

Take Staccato Heaven and reduce the release time for all tones. If you wanna give it more punch, build a layer adding

"Juno Poly". I have a Sonic Cell but I believe the sound set is almost identical.

Hope that helps.

• Members

at the time of the recording Michael Macneils standard and favorite setup (dating from new gold dream) was Oberheim OB-XA and Jupiter 8. he started using OB-8 later.

can't say im dead sure which one, and i own both of these.. as both synths can produce something like it. but i tend to think its an OB-XA thru some chorus detuning, which was trademark sound of his. it has some gritt characteristic of CEM hardware used to build OBXA. neither sound like this out of the box, nor does OB-8. it has some outboard for sure.

that, and the fact that may mean absolutely nothing, or something, he does play OB-XA for that line in the original video for this single.

additionally, it sounds to me like it was layered, not just 2 vcos, but two sounds apart at octave. whether via OBXA dual layer function, or maybe it was JP8 and OBXA together. layering was often used in those times to get more volume and bigness.

how to achieve this in a Juno G accurately i dont know, i tried this long time ago on JD990, but digital edge always took the sound in another (interesting) direction. but

you can try detuned SAWs in two oscillators. set a slight mid fast pitch LFO only on the second oscillator. and then layer this with another of the same, but an octave higher. then put some subtle chorusing, with slower rate. add plate reverb.

and you need 12dB filter with slightly brassy shape so it opens fast, and slower decay... to get this wave on attack. but not ith too big intensity. filter fairly open , so when filter env kicks in, it hits max position. i hear no resonance used.

most trademark big poly sounds on OBXA are done this way... LFO only on VCO2 ;)

• Members

I asked Michael a couple of years ago what synth he used for the staccato chords on "Don't you" and his answer was "Jupiter-8". It may very well be a layered sound though because I know he liked to layer sounds.

While he can be seen with an OB-Xa in the original video for this song, he'd already switched to an OB-8 by late '83 or early '84. He also got a DX-7 as soon as it came out and you can hear it on the "Sparkle in the rain" album (rec. autumn '83) eg on "White Hot Day". Moreover, he still used the good 'ol Jup-4 by mid '84, at least live.

• Members

In regards to that video, what a very geeky fellow. I know it's a good cause, and I love good causes, they're great, I think they do a lot of good, but what a white pants wearing, hair do having, putting one leg up on the speaker guy.

"Hey, hey, hey!"

Hey what? Stop saying things. Uhhh... You know? Pshh. Never mind. I'm gonna go do push ups and listen to ministry.

• Members
In regards to that video, what a very geeky fellow. I know it's a good cause, and I love good causes, they're great, I think they do a lot of good, but what a white pants wearing, hair do having, putting one leg up on the speaker guy.

Hey, I resen ... I re ... I ... um, yeah, we pasty white geeky one leg on speaker (and can't dance) guys are LIKE THAT! Deal with it bub. BTW, can I borrow your date? Won't take long.

Archived