Crate 4x12

Mustaine-who?

• Members

O-k...need some advice here. I have a Crate 4x12 which probably has whatever Crate puts in them, as it flabs out when I really hammer it.

Would it be worthwhile tone wise to "cheap out" and replace the speakers with some good Celestions...or move along to say a used Boogie/Marshall 4x12 loaded with some decent speakers?

Tone wise I'm looking for big bottom, scooped to normals mids, cutting upper mids, and highs that aren't abrasive.

Your $.02???

• Members

Look at the wattage on the back. If it says 80 or 120 watts you need to get new speakers. If its 240 then you know you probably have vintage 30s. Most of the crate cabs with celestions will have a celestion emblem on the front though.

I used to have 2 Crate GS412 cabs and they were Sh#t. They had crap 20 watt speakers. Yeah, I was young.

• Members

I got a Crate slant 4x12 from a guy I used to work with, basically for free. One of his buddies had blown a speaker in his and he wanted me to fix it for him (replace the speaker). So I put in an Eminence GB12 I had sitting around and it matched up pretty well. I told him $50 for the speaker and my time, and he disappeared for a few months. He'd given me the green light to spend $100 so I thought I was doing him a favor. Finally he re-emerged and told me to just keep the cab.

Anyway, it was one of their cheaper cabs and yes, the stock speakers in there were St. Louis Music garbage. They would fart out if you looked at them funny. Also, the cab is 100% waferboard, even the speaker baffle. The materials used are just very low quality. That said, I currently have four greenbacks temporarily living in there (waiting for me to finish refurbing a '70s Marshall 4x12) and the cab sounds great! I'm running the Splawn into it and I've gotta say I'm almost afraid to move those speakers...what if they sound worse in the Marshall? :eek:

Archived