PRS Swamp Ash Special

isvoid

• Members

I've played the original SAS and its a fantastic, versatile player. The SD is a great clean twangy additon, but I'd ditch the McCartys and get more SD's in there. The neck is maple and just like the CE'S, sounds good with high mids.

• Members

One of the best guitars PRS produces, IMO. The ash and maple combined with the short scale give the guitar a real slinky feel and a snappy tone.

I was really gassing for one last year in the vintage natural burst, but couldn't justify spending that much cash on an axe at the time.

I would love one in the future though. They're so damn SEXY!!

sas69.jpg

• Members

I've played the original SAS and its a fantastic, versatile player. The SD is a great clean twangy additon, but I'd ditch the McCartys and get more SD's in there. The neck is maple and just like the CE'S, sounds good with high mids.

+1 to all of that.

-Attila

• Members

Hey -- thanks for the quick feedback you guys! Love the finish on the pic you posted TDV. I'm not familiar with the McCarty pups. I'm principally play classic rock to 80's glam (Dire Straits to Skynard to Aerosmith, Autograph, Cinderella, Journey, Head Pins, Rainbow, Toto, The Tubes, VH, White Snake). What alternate versatile SD pup might you folks recommend for the bridge? Articulate yet gainy? Thanks!

• Members

I bought my SAS about a year ago I guess. I already have a McCarty, and I built myself a strat, cuz I needed big crunchy dirt guitar as well as a nice clean chimey guitar. While I still play the strat quite a bit, I rarely if ever play my McCarty anymore. I pull the trusty ol' SAS out and have all the crunchiness I need, and can split, then pull up the SD single coil for nice cleans too. The McCarty pickups are a pretty dark sounding pickup, especially in my McCarty, but in the SAS they are pretty crisp, obviously the maple neck and the swamp ash are responsible. I love my SAS, and am actually at the point where I think I may just sell the McCarty and my Vetta combo and buy either a nice acoustic electric, or some type of tube fender combo, deluxe, vibrolux, vibroverb etc or maybe both.

DVC00012.jpg

• Members

I already have the McCarty which of course has the wide fat, but have had a few CE's one wide thin and one wide fat. I also put my strat together with a Warmoth boatneck contour which is VERY thick, but also very stable, which I like. I actually prefer the wide fat anymore, and the flame on my neck is UNBELIEVABLE throughout, people freak when they see it. But, I am not a shredder, and actually not much of a lead player at all anyways. I personally think they're one helluva guitar for the money. I wouldnt part with mine.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I'm still gassing for one of these. I thought I'd wait a month or two but it hasn't gone away!

When I play my LP, I find myself thinking, well, if this were a Swamp Ash right now...

It's like I'm cheating on my wife.

But that Swamper I tried really had a lot of tone(s).

I suppose the Hiland and the DGT are getting all the attention now, though. Anyone here compared the SAS with the other two?

• Members

I have not played the newer ones but the ones I have played in the past ar e my favorite PRS. I owned 2 custom 24s in the past but, the necks and Maple fretboards on these feel faster and I liked the tones better in the Swamp Ash. I think they are only bolt on necks but these models I think are the most underrated PRS out there. Great guitar.

• Members
Great post, thanks almighty! How do you find the wide fat neck?

Damn, I'm really gassin' for this bastard.

The wide fat neck is only slightly larger than the neck on my SRV Strat. I just picked up a Custom 22. Excellent guitar, although I'm not sure I'm sold on the PuPs.

• Members

I had one of the older (99?) SAS back in the day- it was my first high end guit and I sold it b/c I wanted a singlecut :cry: It was a great guitar and I miss it- it had a killer flamed neck on it too. I bought it new for 1200 :eek:

As for tone, the pickups were very vintage sounding, but the guitar was "snappy" due to the woods I guess. Very nice guit- I would not mind owning another, that's for sure.

• Members

Oh, yeah, the 513 takes the middle pup thing to another extreme.

(A pricey extreme, but I bet it's nice. What's your take on it?)

I like the middle pup sound options. Even my Tele's got a middle Strat pup -- and boy there are enough Tele fanatics out there who think that's sacrilege.

"the red is {censored}ing hideous."

I'm not big on red guitars myself but I did like the cherry red SAS in the store.

• Members

Oh, yeah, the 513 takes the middle pup thing to another extreme.

(A pricey extreme, but I bet it's nice. What's your take on it?)

I like the middle pup sound options. Even my Tele's got a middle Strat pup -- and boy there are enough Tele fanatics out there who think that's sacrilege.

"the red is {censored}ing hideous."

I'm not big on red guitars myself but I did like the cherry red SAS in the store.

The pickups are pretty cool. i find myself only using the classic hum settings and the out of phase sounds there are very cool. the guitar overall is pretty dark so the strat sounds are just decent to me and the ultra settings are only good all the way front and all the way back (for a more scooped type sound). The most amazing thing about the guitar is the smoothness of the neck. Sometimes the middle pickup gets in the way but it's not too bad. Great guitar imo.

Archived