Korg Kronos: ARPS & Plug-In Implementation

Palaver

• Members

Hello,

I apologize if this is written clearly on the forum somewhere, but I've been unable to find anything regarding my inquiry:

Does anyone on here have any experience with the Kronos? How does the plug-in work within a DAW? Can there be seperate instances, or does it work like the Virus TI series (one plugin window controls up to 16 complex patches at a time)? I am hoping Korg write/present more about this. I've done some searches but have been unable to answer my question. Can anyone provide any handy links?

I know there's regular ARPS in some of the synth modules, but is there a way to avoid the Karma engine? I think the Karma function is neat and all, but a normal, programmable ARP is a 'must-have' for me. Can I still do simple stuff, or does Korg (on the Kronos) limit its simple arps to just certain synth engines?

Thanks in advance, and any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Phil

• Members

Is it really a plug-in or just a plug-in editor? I do not think that it is like Access Virus that it can function as a AU or VST synth plug-in but I am not sure?

One thing I know for sure, is that the Kronos has audio thru USB. It can also act as an interface. This is outlined in the brochure. I'm just really keen to see how it behaves within the DAW environment.

Cheers,

Phil

• Members

1. The Plug-In hasn't been released yet so without having the ability to use it, I'd hate to speak to what it can and can't do. I believe there are specs out there on what it's supposed to do.

2. Arps: Some engines have their own BASIC arps. KARMA has basic arps built in. But there's no easily programmable arps on the Kronos that work across any/all engines. You have to buy the KARMA software which will allow you to create any customized arp pattern you want. Stephen Kay stated he gave Korg the code to allow arp creation on the synth itself without a computer and Korg have failed to implement it in all these years. I haven't bought the KARMA software for my M3 or Kronos but I hear it freaking amazing.

KorgForums and Karma-Labs both have great forums. I highly suggest going to Karma-Labs first since you can ask specific questions about KARMA, the KRONOS, or anything and have a good chance of it getting answered as well as freaking amazing responses/support from Stephen himself. He's about as approachable and professional as you can get.

• Members

That
really
sucks. First time I've heard this.

:mad:

if it makes you feel any better, I posted this same thing a few months ago and I don't believe the Korg reps on the forums had heard it either. I pointed them to the link on Karma-Labs where Stephen had stated it and they were very cool about it. So it seems to be a decision above the "commoners" at Korg. They weren't even aware. Maybe it's part of the NEXT update to Karma (assuming there will be an update)?

• Members

Hey guys,

I really appreciated the answers. So, as of today, you cannot even route the audio through USB? So, I guess the audio interface is not operational yet, either?

I'm really hoping Korg make all of this available soon, and I hope they get it correct! I'll hunt around on the Korg forums link that someone posted above. Maybe, a release date or projected date can be found in there?

It just boggles my mind that they haven't implemented a simple ARP as a global feature. The other thing that really irks me about Korg are the lack of octave switches. Yes, I know you can assign octave shifts in the switches, etc., but it's still stupid (IMO). It's almost like forgetting to build a car without indicators. Korg seem to be getting really good at making easy workflows extremely difficult.

However, my 'beef(s)' aside, I'm definitely interested in this board!

My dream board would be a Kronos without the sequencer, with the pads from the M3, and OCTAVE switches in the middle of the damn board beneath the screen!

Cheers,

Phil

• Members

Hey guys,

I really appreciated the answers. So, as of today, you cannot even route the audio through USB? So, I guess the audio interface is not operational yet, either?

I'm really hoping Korg make all of this available soon, and I hope they get it correct! I'll hunt around on the Korg forums link that someone posted above. Maybe, a release date or projected date can be found in there?

It just boggles my mind that they haven't implemented a simple ARP as a global feature. The other thing that really irks me about Korg are the lack of octave switches. Yes, I know you can assign octave shifts in the switches, etc., but it's still stupid (IMO). It's almost like forgetting to build a car without indicators. Korg seem to be getting really good at making easy workflows extremely difficult.

However, my 'beef(s)' aside, I'm definitely interested in this board!

My dream board would be a Kronos without the sequencer, with the pads from the M3, and OCTAVE switches in the middle of the damn board beneath the screen!

Cheers,

Phil

Make sure you check out the details of what the 1.5 upgrade brings (you won't need the M3 for pads - you'll be able to use the nanoPAD). It fixes almost all of the issues I potentially had with the Kronos. I'm pretty sure you can route audio through USB now though. One of the reasons I bought the 88 key was so I didn't have to worry about octave switches. :)

I believe the date for the 1.5 update is October http://www.korg.co.uk/products/workstations/kronos/ws_kronos_system_v15.php:

KORG KRONOS MUSIC WORKSTATION SYSTEM VERSION 1.5

Free update adds more space for new sounds, USB MIDI input, plus software editing

KRONOS v 1.5 makes Korg

• Members

Thanks for all of the information. You've been hugely helpful. Even still, it's substantially more money to buy the 88-key version over the others (especially, the 61-key). It's just a glaring omission on Korg's part, and it's frustrating. The nanoPAD update is VERY clever. I'm glad they got this covered. The digital screen pads are neat, but not smart in practical theory... I'm glad this has been addressed.

Thanks again, for all your help, and I look forward to demoing the board.

Cheers,

PB

Make sure you check out the details of what the 1.5 upgrade brings (you won't need the M3 for pads - you'll be able to use the nanoPAD). It fixes almost all of the issues I potentially had with the Kronos. I'm pretty sure you can route audio through USB now though. One of the reasons I bought the 88 key was so I didn't have to worry about octave switches. :)

I believe the date for the 1.5 update is October http://www.korg.co.uk/products/workstations/kronos/ws_kronos_system_v15.php:

KORG KRONOS MUSIC WORKSTATION SYSTEM VERSION 1.5

Free update adds more space for new sounds, USB MIDI input, plus software editing

KRONOS v 1.5 makes Korg

• Members

Maybe it's part of the NEXT update to Karma (assuming there will be an update)?

Karma 3 is being developed for the Motif XS/XF (software only, ala Triton). Stephen claims Korg passed on it for Kronos (probably a lot more to that story). The K3 software is overdue, it was schedule for last April but is still in development :(

Archived