Emperor/Isahn gear?

book_of_lies777

• Members

I was listening to the "Prometheus" CD by Emperor last night and was really loving the punchy HEAVY guitar tones - does anyone know what kind of gear Isahn and company used back in the day? I know Isahn has an Ibanez endorsement nowadays, but I can't find any gear info from the earlier years for these true legends of black metal.

thanks in advance!

• Members

For Prometheus, Ihsahn apparently used the Digitech 2120 for the rhythm guitar tracks. The pod has been used for post-emperor projects, such as his latest solo album and I guess some stuff done with peccatum.

Other albums, such as the masterpiece, Athems to the Welkin at Dusk, were recorded with an 80 watt Peavey Bandit; yes that's right, a Peavey Bandit. I know because I've talked to Samoth's wife about this.

Post anthems is kinda tricky. For Exquilibrium they used Marshall stacks, what kind, I don't know. Either JCM 800 2203, or JCM 900 4100. On the live DVD they are using Marshall JCM 800 2203. They must have gotten their distortion from either the digitech preamp, or an ADA MP-1 which Ihsahn claims to have used in the past.

For guitars, mainly Jackson Dinky's for Ihsahn, the early bolt-on versions (Duncan Design pickups from the pics I've seen); for Samoth, mainly Jackson RR-1s, probably with a JB in the bridge.

This is all I know.

• Members

For Prometheus, Ihsahn apparently used the Digitech 2120 for the rhythm guitar tracks. The pod has been used for post-emperor projects, such as his latest solo album and I guess some stuff done with peccatum.

Other albums, such as the masterpiece, Athems to the Welkin at Dusk, were recorded with an 80 watt Peavey Bandit; yes that's right, a Peavey Bandit. I know because I've talked to Samoth's wife about this.

Post anthems is kinda tricky. For Exquilibrium they used Marshall stacks, what kind, I don't know. Either JCM 800 2203, or JCM 900 4100. On the live DVD they are using Marshall JCM 800 2203. They must have gotten their distortion from either the digitech preamp, or an ADA MP-1 which Ihsahn claims to have used in the past.

For guitars, mainly Jackson Dinky's for Ihsahn, the early bolt-on versions (Duncan Design pickups from the pics I've seen); for Samoth, mainly Jackson RR-1s, probably with a JB in the bridge.

This is all I know.

wow! thanks so much!

• Members

I was listening to the "Prometheus" CD by Emperor last night and was really loving the punchy HEAVY guitar tones - does anyone know what kind of gear Isahn and company used back in the day? I know Isahn has an Ibanez endorsement nowadays, but I can't find any gear info from the earlier years for these true legends of black metal.

thanks in advance!

In terms of guitars, he used Fender Strats in the very beginning, then some B.C. Rich Ironbirds, Jackson Soloists after that, and he's been using Ibanez since Prometheus. He was also always a big Marshall guy, but he's been using ENGL's lately.

• Members

TBH you can replicate the Isahn tone pretty easily. Just a decent amp with reverb, lose the lows and keep the mids and highs.

You can hear who does what on Emperor. Sammoth usually does the more prominent rhythm parts and has a fairly scooped sound. Isahn's is a weaker tone, more for overtones, melody and hooks.

• Members

I remember in an 'Equilibrium'-era Terrorizer interview that they were raving on about running 2120s into Marshall amps. Not sure which. The last gig they played in London was ENGL amps all the way.

As a side note, I recently got hold of the tab book to review. It's been scored by Ihsahn and he's broken the guitar parts down into what he and Samoth played on the records. Quite interesting really, it can sometimes be hard to transcribe those earlier records throught the murky production.

• Members

Isahn plays most of the Prometheus stuff on a Ibanez 7 string. All the other stuf f is played on a Jackson soloist type of guitar, probably a Dinky since it isn't neck-thru. Samoth uses most of his Emperor gear in his other band Zyklon as well.

• Members

OOOHHHH Equilibrium!? AH right! Yes, that was digtech 2120s into Marshall JCMs. Don't know which ones, but I'm pretty sure you can get it with pretty much anything. The 2120 is a nice little box. I must actually dig mine out again, not used it in years.

Sammoth has used 5150s for a LONG time.

The London show about 5-6 years ago (in which Emperial Live Ceramony was recorded), it was again all marshalls. Possibly sommat running into them, but their tour staff said that most of the gear that they played was rented, save their guitars and a few fx boxes. I would assume given the sporadic touring patterns of Emperor that it would be mostly rented gear. Its not uncommon and in honesty, I doubt emperor are that big enough a band to have loadsa spare gear in various parts of the globe Metallica style.

In a nutshell.

If you're looking for a dead-ring Samoth sound "Black Wizards"'esq, then get yourself a modern high gain head. 5150, Powerball, Mesa Rec... anything that can get a pretty decent scooped gained out sound.

If you want a perfect Isahn sound, get a JCM2000 TSL100, whack the reverb on to full and off you go! Its pretty much perfect for the job!

I know, this was why I bought one the second time round - and why I'm thinking about it again!

Jon

• 4 months later...
  • Members

The tab book is fantastic. I had no idea they were using such weird chords, even on the older albums. They always had an interesting sense of harmony, and the tab really helps me to understand it. I hope someone convinces Trey Azagthoth to write a similar book.

Years ago, I asked Tyr (touring bassist during '99) what they used, and he confirmed that it was the 2120 and a Marshall. I used to email Faust when he was still in prison, but he couldn't remember what pedals they used on Nightside Eclipse (he said they had many pedals, but not being a guitar player, he couldn't remember). Prometheus also features the 7-string, of course.

• Members

I know Samoth's been using Engl Powerballs for quite some time..

Zyklon's gear was stolen 31. may 2007. Among the stuff in the stolen gear alert ad is two Engl Powerballs, one Marshall 9100, one JMP-1 and a bunch of marshall jcm800 / 900 cabs.

Archived