RIP Steve Jobs

• Members

Jobs was about marketing, determination, ideas, and eventually communication and operating as an effective celebrity. His fame rests on brilliant electrical (and other) engineers and computer scientists. There is only one name on this patent, and it is not "Steve Jobs". I am not trying to dis on Jobs, but I am more than tired of the infatuation with "designers" that has been generated among manager and executive types by the recent success of Apple products. Those products are filled and enabled by technology, physics, materials, programming, human-computer interface design, etc. by engineers and scientists. Everything from the finish on the exterior surfaces to the elector-mechanical guts to software and signal processing to display to tuning the click sound of an icon to match the way your body responds to the interface has been developed by scientists and engineers, and we should not forget that.

• Members
Jobs was about marketing, determination, ideas, and eventually communication and operating as an effective celebrity. His fame rests on brilliant electrical (and other) engineers and computer scientists. There is only one name on
this patent
, and it is not "Steve Jobs". I am not trying to dis on Jobs, but I am more than tired of the infatuation with "designers" that has been generated among manager and executive types by the recent success of Apple products. Those products are filled and enabled by technology, physics, materials, programming, human-computer interface design, etc. by engineers and scientists. Everything from the finish on the exterior surfaces to the elector-mechanical guts to software and signal processing to display to tuning the click sound of an icon to match the way your body responds to the interface has been developed by scientists and engineers, and we should not forget that.

:thu::thu:

• Members

I would think Jobs was the idea man who came up with concepts and then asked the engineers and designers to make them become a reality.

For instance when JFKennedy declared we will put a man on the moon, technology was created to fulfill that challenge. Both sides deserve credit on a project. Jobs was like the lead singer in the band who gets all the credit and chicks while the keyboard guy...well.....:lol:

• Members

that's true, but it's the cult of celebrity that stinks. if he were a suit wearing, desk flying project manager / ceo like the rest of corporate america, apple wouldn't sell. it's a lifestyle brand like diesel or gucci, plain and simple.

they don't sell anything you can't get from someone else for cheaper and with more options. tablets with gorilla glass come in at half the price of the ipad, and they have stores at malls now to repairs the glass of apple products.

same thing with my {censored} 120$ diesel watch with the broken glass. who the {censored} puts GLASS on a 120$ watch when you can have a shatter / scratch proof crystal on a 20$ casio?!

last time i ever spend my money on a "luxury' item... crap ask my dad how much his old E3 mercedes used to cost to fix every time it broke down..which was often and he no longer has the car.

• Members

if he were a suit wearing, desk flying project manager / ceo like the rest of corporate america, apple wouldn't sell. it's a lifestyle brand like diesel or gucci, plain and simple.

they don't sell anything you can't get from someone else for cheaper and with more options.

That's stirring the pot. The mention of PC vs. MAC was merely a hair away and it was certainly jumped on.

Let's keep this about appreciation of a guy who enriched the lives of many of us here, specifically since the platform he helped design has been the go-to platform for music creation for decades.

• Members

I currently have a Jobs phrase as my siggie at work:

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something else". -Steve Jobs

And it's true, and it's not even a new concept. It's been said before that if Edison had made a marketing survey before deciding to build the light bulb, people would have responded with "I don't think I need that, imagine all the work putting the wires to every house! Just make us a longer-lasting, brighter-burning candle" and that's what we'd have today.

So yeah you have to be a bit of a prick and ignore people's feelings if you want to be truly innovative. It's valid for arts as well - I wonder how many f**ks Dali gave about people who thought his art wasn't commercial enough or that he would be soon forgotten for being too weird. Dali is, of course, a hero of mine when it comes to art.

Having said all that, the only Apple product I own (a Shuffle) was given to me, I haven't paid for any of their stuff. But my Android phone sure is a copy of an Apple design...

So, while I don't spend money on Apple, I still think Jobs deserves the recognition he is getting, and deserves the money he's made in the industry. All of which, of course, now doesn't matter much anymore...

• Members

although I agree with you in whole, there's also a thin line between innovating and artificially creating markets. I had a dell palm pilot thingy years ago before an ipod touch was invented, let alone an mp3 player, which I also had from another company. putting icons on a screen in a grid format is nothing new..

Not to get into a whole thing here, i just dont see how innovation plays into it. he took what was already on the market and well, marketed the hell out of it by making it flashy and expensive. :idk: OSX was bought from Xerox.. Jobbs said himself that apple was an industrial design firm, and frankly I can respect that as an honest statement.

• Members

Dennis Ritchie died the other day. Now if you were to ask me who invented more, and who contributed more to the computers that we use today, I would say Ritchie in an instant.

What language do people write iPhone apps in? Objective-C. What's Microsoft Windows written in? C++. What did Ritchie invent? C.

Now OS X...that's a Unix-style OS isn't it? And Linux. What did Ritchie help invent? Unix.

If you think Jobs invented anything truly inspiring, consider that he used technologies invented by another guy in order to do any invention at all. I think this has an analogy in music too.

Archived