what amps did skid row used to use

RaceU4her

• Members

Scotti Hill:

ADA MP-1 preamp into a Rivera power section. 2 4x12 cabinets, one greenback loaded the other standard JCM800 cabinet. Multitude of screamer pedals, usually a standard Tube Screamer, his koa charvel with replacement neck and his soloists. Occasionally took on the Kramers and Fenders of the world, but 90% of the time was jackson soloist or charvel. Duncan JB bridge pickups.

Snake

ADA MP-1 preamp into poweramp - varied between a Rivera's power section and a JCM800 2203 power section. Cleans provided by a second stock Rivera head. 2xJCM800 cabinets, stock. Standard fair of distortion pedals and later on a Marshall JMP-1 was apparently in the loop somewhere, however haven't been able to find this out for certain. Various Jackson tele guitars, custom ESP Eclipse with a floyd and occasionally the odd Wolfgang. Duncan Distortion pickups in the alder guitars, Dimarzio Super D's in the ESP.

Currently, they're largely Line6 abusers. Shame, their old sound ruled major ass!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

video's gone now, NBC don't like their stuff air without their consent:cry:

I've seen it before though, and they sounded awsome during that performance. I also loved the metal mother goose rhymes sketch on that episode with Sebastian and G.E. Smith (the SNL band leader/guitarist) dressed up as Slash. That was hilarious:D.

• Members

How do you use these? Buy a separate power amp?

Yes, in a nutshell. You can either go for something like the Marshall EL34100, but I didn't really like mine with the MP1 or the Triaxis. The Mesa Strategy is definately my number 1 power amp. I loved mine to bits. I have heard good things about the VHT power amp too.

BUT, if you have a head with an FX loop, just chuck its output into your FX return socket. That's how I operated mine most of the time through my Laney VH100r. Sounded absolutely fine.

The MP1 is a nice unit, just don't expect that tone right out the box. Remember, this thing loves Ibanez tubescreamers and its the best thing in the world for it. Avoid the SD-1 for this one, but the TS is a great edition. Stock, though, it is a bit -lacking-

Jon

• Members

Yes, in a nutshell. You can either go for something like the Marshall EL34100, but I didn't really like mine with the MP1 or the Triaxis. The Mesa Strategy is definately my number 1 power amp. I loved mine to bits. I have heard good things about the VHT power amp too.

BUT, if you have a head with an FX loop, just chuck its output into your FX return socket. That's how I operated mine most of the time through my Laney VH100r. Sounded absolutely fine.

The MP1 is a nice unit, just don't expect that tone right out the box. Remember, this thing loves Ibanez tubescreamers and its the best thing in the world for it. Avoid the SD-1 for this one, but the TS is a great edition. Stock, though, it is a bit -lacking-

Jon

+1. I believe Extreme recorded an album with the ADA MP-1 going into a McIntosh SS amp (very high end audiophile amp for those that don't know; $$$$). When I had an MP-1, I used it going into a Peavey Classic 50/50 or into a Marshall 1959SLP 100 watt (though the front end like a distortion pedal). Sounded okay. I had a cheapo rackmount graphic EQ that I got with it that I ran behind it and it sounded better. I didn't tweak it much and it probably was in need of tubes but it wasn't bad sounding for the $125 I paid. Some of them now are fetching too much but that's what the market is I guess.

• Members

I understand Trace does some pre-modded ones at Voodoo. Never tried them out myself. My mate has a TSL100 he had Trace do his stock mod on. I have to say it sounds god damned amazing! It cost him a fair amount to do but it was DEFINATELY worth it! Its probably the very amplifier that myself and a few other buddies of mine always compare against when amp shopping.

So in terms of that, I'm sure Trace's MP-1 premodded ones would do just the job.

Anyone own one, out of interest?

Oh and has anyone got old Skid Row {censored}, like live bootleg concerts and junk they fancy trading?

Archived