Randall Pro tube 1000-- OWNERS Chime In

shegobblescock

• Members

I had an early '90s Randall Pro-Tube 1000 1-12 combo that I had to sell because my aching back could no longer take lifting it's 70 plus pounds up two flights of stairs on a semi-regular basis.Mine had a Celestion G12P-80 in place of the stock G12M-70 speaker.

The clean tones and great sounding tube driven reverb sat squarely in classic Fender territory,while the overdrive and distortion tones straddled the line between hot rodded vintage Marshall and the Mesa/Boogie MKII Series...with maybe a wiff of Soldano SLO thrown in for good measure.The thing had an aggressive topend,with snarling and throaty mids that could really cut through a loud band mix.Also,the bass response was fat and tight,especially through my friend's Marshall 4-12 cabinet.Surprisingly,the tones with the gain backed down gave up some nice fusion to gutsy blues/rock tones and textures.

One problem that my combo experienced was some tube rattle at higher volumes,so a head might be a wiser choice.While I really miss the amps many killer tones,my back thanks me on a daily basis for letting her go to a loving and deserving home.

Ed

• Members

- Curious on the difference between the version 1 and 2 though-- fill me in if you know-- thanks

I believe that the Pro-Tube II has the ability to blend the clean and overdrive channels.There is also a switch to cut power down to 1/3 of the amp's rated 55 watts rms.It also has a push/pull shift pot on the overdrive channel's Gain Contour control.Other than those features,I believe that the circuit is basically the same.I hope that helps.

Ed

• Members

I believe that the Pro-Tube II has the ability to blend the clean and overdrive channels.There is also a switch to cut power down to 1/3 of the amp's rated 55 watts rms.It also has a push/pull shift pot on the overdrive channel's Gain Contour control.Other than those features,I believe that the circuit is basically the same.I hope that helps.

Ed

Thanks for the info-- sounds like a sweet amp. I'm going to have to try one out if I can ever find one.:rawk:

• Members

Thanks for the info-- sounds like a sweet amp. I'm going to have to try one out if I can ever find one.
:rawk:

No problem...that's one of good things about forums such as this.Btw,try checking the Music Go Round website and simply put "Randall" in the search function.I've seen both the Pro-Tube 1000 and Pro-Tube 1000 II [in head and combo form] on there on a fairly regular basis,and usually at good prices.For what it's worth,I bought my exc+ condition Pro-Tube 1000 combo off Ebay for just $252.00...that was around four years ago.Good luck with your search.

Ed

• 2 years later...
  • Members

hey guys, i just purchased a Randall protube 1000 II Head. I just wanted to say that this amp is AWESOME! I own a Marshall jcm 2000, a Crate Blue VooDoo, and a Bugera 6260 all are great sounding amps. the Randall keeps up with them at 55 watts. All the other Heads i own are 100-120 watts. The Randall sounds amazing. I found this amp on Craigslist for $150. I really SCORED! this amp sounds good alone but i think it shines with a overdrive pedal (MXR GT-OD) but i like buckets and buckets of GAIN!

• 10 years later...
  • Members

I had the 50(55)W version and it was GRRrreat! 😍   Got stolen 😂I bought it on ebay for $350 about 15/20 years ago.  It had the two channels, and YES, Clean Channel beautiful and sweet; OD Channel a kick butt channel that could get outrageous or tamed somewhat, but always way more dirty than clean channel.  Had 1/3 Power Switch, Circuit Breaker (no fuse to carry spares of) and could be changed to 6L6 or EL34 Power Tubes, pretty sure mine had the 6L6's.  Rocked the house down in a big corrugated metal building on only 1/3 power!  My first foray into Tube Amps and no further to go in my humble opinion; played about 40 years, mostly acoustic (Martin D-18), then into Electrics around 1985 (Roland Jazz Chorus 55 that I still have and Ibanez  Road Star w/ Active Pups).  I played a American Strat (Highway 1 Nitro Finish, great sounding guitar btw) thru the Randall; pure bliss! 😍

If you see one for sale, BUY it.  You won't be disappointed.  Not the "Classic" Randall Tone (as I understand it).

Edited by Dave Dude
clarification

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I bought my Pro-Tube new in 88(?). It was an anniversary edition with Antique White Cover and I bought the matching 4x12 top stack cabinet to go with it (cabinet was stolen a few years ago. Still looking for it.) I still own and play the amp. It is everything others are posting about it. My Charvel 6A can snarl through it or play sweet clean sounds. Make sure you get a pedal to switch the channels. I had the version that could mix the two channels and the swappable tube types. It pushed the 4x12 cabinet with EASE and was actually so loud with it that I only used it a few times at large outdoor gigs. 35 years later it is still my only amp.