Music production on Linux

ElectricPuppy

• Members

Not stsrictly keyboards or synths, but I know this level of stuff is on par with you guys, so...

Is anyone here doing music production on a Linux system? I have a System76 Pangolin laptop with Ubuntu on it that I'm thinking about goofing around with for music stuff. This would be a completely ITB setup, no external gear.

I'm mostly looking for just broad advice:

1) Is this a acceptable system for this use?

2) If not, how hard is it to make the system audio-worthy?

3) What software would you recommend (i.e. DAW/sequencer, soft-synths, etc.)?

Thanks! :wave:

• Members

Gotcha.
:thu:
Thanks.

It's not really my intention to abandon ship from my Windows/Sonar setup, but I'd like to have something to mess with on my laptop, and since it's Ubuntu and not Windows, I'm exploring my options.

So... no one else? Am I all alone here?
:D

You may want to try out Ubuntu Studio. Just know that there's no LiveCD of it and you have to install it on a spare partition. It simplifies things quite a bit by packaging most of the stuff you need to make music in Linux.

I've done quite a bit of writing about audio production in Linux, but I'll be the first to admit it's still not like working in Windows or OS X. A lot of stuff is in pieces and not integrated in the best way possible.

Another thing is that most audio software written for Linux is written by Linux nerds who will give you 5000 options to set, but won't think about basic workflow and how the UI affects it. ;-)

-- N

• Members

I use Linux a lot. In fact, I used it for about a year on gigs, running my own drum machine software. But I had to switch to Win7 about a year ago when I bought a MOTU Ultralite Mk3 interface, as there aren't working drivers for Linux. That's the achilles heel of Linux for audio use. High-end audio hardware is not well-supported. So, you have to make sure the audio hardware you want to use is supported. USB MIDI devices shouldn't be a problem. If a device doesn't need its own driver for Windows/MAC, then it should also work on Linux. But digital audio hardware support is sketchy. The best audio cards, supported by Linux, are RME products. The M-audio PCI cards like the 1010 or Audiophile (which I have) work too. But most of the other support is either low-end audio cards (like motherboard audio) or discontinued products such as the Roland UA101.

I hate Ubuntu. It's a buggy distro, and the company behind it is very bad. For just starting out, you'll want to use Linux Mint instead. (And the guy who makes Mint is also one of the developers working on Linux's audio system). If you get into Linux and want to persue it further after learning how to use it, you'll probably end up with Debian. That's where most Ubuntu users go when they get tired of dealing with Ubuntu/Canonical's crap. (I'm using Linux Mint's Debian edition right now. But as a newbie, you may prefer the Gnome version).

Is natallica Dave Phillips?

Archived