Dubstep... who's doing it?

ElectricPuppy

• Members

Yes, less dubstep but more like inspired by it... soundcloud set here:

What I really like doing is like the first track, more dubstep-inspired moody idm/glitchy ambient. No wobble monsters. Second one is a bit less so and its got a big hoover in it.

Personally I am a pretty big dubstep fan - though I'm also big on 80s/early 90s house/techno/harcore/jungle etc and dubstep was a bit weird to me at first.

I love your music! I wish the drums were just a bit beefier and that there was not so much reverb/delay on the synths, but otherwise really, really great!!!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks! I thought the drums were originally too big on the first track so I took them down a lot, will keep that in mind. thx!

Your welcome. Check out some Dubstep loops over at Sonicstate news. I thought they sounded pretty cool but maybe a bit overdone.

• Members

A few years ago i made some dub-step type tracks. It was fun but I lost interest especially with the emergence of the bro-step that somehow still dominates the bars and frat parties around here. I started getting tired of it when it's all I heard everywhere i went. Then seeing drunken college kids with dubstep t-shirts on yelling "dubstep" at the dj's I kind of lost my taste for the whole scene. Then last year highschool kids starting getting into it when Skrillex came on the scene, further debasing this once promising genre.

• Members

well all right, thanks :thu: see, I like lots of {censored}.

what makes me feel old is that all this so called rebellion is about nothing more than being sold the same experience over and over by corporations and media markets that have gotten in and lied to people and told them that the only way to be creative, hip, cool and misunderstood is by buying their products. this particular flavor of dubstep is just another drop in the mind control come as you are, leave as we rebuild you into a social conformity automoton bucket.

if mental independence , researching things you like, being aware of life in general, asking your own questions and making up your own informed decisions is old, outdated, antiquated and old cooterish... every one of you deserve to be strung up by your white earbuds or forced into a reeducation program where you'll be subjected to watching reruns of maude while listening to the sex pistols.

{censored} all of youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.........

grandpa.gif

my head hurts I need to go lie down.

• Members

A few years ago i made some dub-step type tracks. It was fun but I lost interest especially with the emergence of the bro-step that somehow still dominates the bars and frat parties around here. I started getting tired of it when it's all I heard everywhere i went. Then seeing drunken college kids with dubstep t-shirts on yelling "dubstep" at the dj's I kind of lost my taste for the whole scene. Then last year highschool kids starting getting into it when Skrillex came on the scene, further debasing this once promising genre.

Yes teenagers and young college kids are getting on my nerves more and more, as well as young pop/rock stars. My name is RAZZ and I'm a Grumpy Old Manaholic.

• Members

despite some of the technical and creative stuff done in dubstep, it still sounds watered down to me.

I keep coming back to a comment I saw once: "it sounds like the beginning of a drum & bass song". That's how I feel about it, like a drum & bass song that fails to really get going.

A guy on another forum I go to is really into it and keeps posting links to various artists. Some of it is OK. I suppose there's probably some good stuff outside the mainstream (like always), but I don't care enough to seek it out.

• Members

I keep coming back to a comment I saw once: "it sounds like the beginning of a drum & bass song". That's how I feel about it, like a drum & bass song that fails to really get going.

That's what I thought too at first. I was a big jungle and drum & bass fan going back to old hardcore, though I was kind of bored of d'n'b after 2000 or so. When I first heard dubstep, it was like all the bits of d'n'b songs without the beats and I wanted beats. Now I don't care, I get it.There's drumstep and idk drumcore, drumbahton, whatever now, idk.

• Members

@ U&I those beats are proper. lol proper-step

for me and my crew there was a weird post-dnb period where the basslines and other elements were married with hiphop, dub and experimental vibes liek way back in 2001. but after that dnb and jungle was basically a swear word for the whole 2000-2010 decade and music associated with it was usually shut off pretty fast.

started really following it around 2007-8 and nowadays some dub step is pretty dope but other stuff is just weak. skrillex emo ghey ish sux, bro-step & rusko is pretty hurting, etc. i once even read rusko apologizing about the current state of dubstep :facepalm:. but then there's guys like distance, sluggabed, etc that are awesome

being a total bass head i do love getting wasted at mega clubs and listening to sub-frequencies that makes me queasy and grind my teeth. the podcasts i listen to are generally really informative and help me separate the whead from the chaffe like electronic explorations, headphone commute and solipsistic nation.

just take idm as an example. people were doing really mind-blowing things in the beginning like coil, aphex twin, etc. but it quickly digressed into redundant cliches and a non-ironic parody of itself. same thing with everything cool i guess.

now we're all back to square 1 producers are already being branded as post-dubstep. all i do now is listen to lots of rap, rock and lots of experimental, avant-guard and neo classical music and just make whatever beats i'm inspired to make. the beat movement is cool and i'm kinda like them about not pigeonholing sound, etc

• Members

dj_pon_3_by_johnjoseco-d3bcjtc.jpg

Admit it: who here is actually a Brony?

I always liked the toys but the cartoons were pretty dire. (and I didn't know about the mess that was G3!) Friendship is Magic is great!

This dude did an original orchestral step tune based on the Discord episode, very cool:

[video=youtube;-jZBizrZs0o]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I actually prefer this to trance and rap.

What about THIS:

[video=youtube;g9Npdfx7DNE]

And I love the break at 3:00

If I could make a living doing this type of music, I would in a heart beat. Who am I kidding? If I could make a living making Dub Step Polka I would too.

-Mc

Archived