Frenzel Twin Plexi

russ_guitarboy

• Members

Has anyone ever played a Twin Plexi by Frenzel. Does it actually pull off both Fender Twin and Marshall Plexi? If it does it is the holy grail of rock and roll. Of course it would be nice to have something that also did AC-30 and Mesa Dual Rec tones but that's almost impossible without discreet amps. This amp sounds like it would be killer for classic rock. Any experienced players who are familiar with Frenzel out there? Anyone play this specific model? Anyone know how a Frenzel power amp reacts to an attenuator? I'm deciding whether to buy a 50 watt version of this amp. Thanks.

• Members

The font change didn't show on my computer. I hope it made you feel cool and grownup to call me a fag or a moron because of my font size. If there are any intelligent people who can help me out I'd really appreciate that. Thanks. The amp can be seen at

From his description as to how he does it, there is no way you're going to get an authentic sounding Plexi or Twin, but it does look like a really cool mesh of features. On paper, there seems to me a pretty solid chance what you'll have is a pretty unique sounding amp with some nice vintage flavor to the tone...

• Members

I know it's ugly as sin. I asked him if he could arrange the faceplate more like a normal amp and he got flustered and said something about how he has built thousands of amps, so I could take it or leave it. I'm still leaning towards taking it.

I would like a reverb, a half power switch and a footswitchable solo boost but he said he couldn't do that either. It is cheap though, especially for a point to point wired amp. I figured if I really love it that I could save up for those mods and put it in a different chassis with an attractive front panel at the same time.

I've never seen a bad review of any of the other amps he's built. I've just never read anything about this particular one.

I really want the seperate tone stacks. I also want to be able to do everything from sparkly clean to mid gain Marshally crunch tones. Do you think this amp can pull it off? Is the Fender power amp important for getting that sparkling clean goodness? If I put 6L6s or 6V6s in it would it sound like a Fender power amp? I know that Marshall basically stole and changed this design. How was the preamp tweaking more extensive than the Frenzel website describes? Any other amp for anywhere near this price range that can pull of the tones I'm looking for? (Don't you dare say a Hot Rod Deluxe.:p )

• Members

I would love to hear both clips and any experiences. Thanks for anything you can give me. There are gut pics on a different page. They look very solid.

A friend of mine is bringing his by this weekend to mess around. I'm going to get some clips of him playing it in different configurations and then post them here the following Monday.

• Members

A friend of mine is bringing his by this weekend to mess around. I'm going to get some clips of him playing it in different configurations and then post them here the following Monday.

Make sure you turn it up loud enough for me to hear, I'm only a few blocks away. :wave:

• Members

Make sure you turn it up loud enough for me to hear, I'm only a few blocks away.
:wave:

Actually we'll be in Bluff Springs, but I'll turn it up loud anyway! ;)

As for cabs, I don't know if dude is going to bring his cabs or not, but I'm thinking he might. If he doesn't then we'll be testing them through the only cabs I have available:

- Krank 412 (Eminence V12 Legend)

- Mesa Recto Standard 412 (Celestion Vintage 30)

- Carvin 412 (Carvin BR12)

If he brings his cabs, then ad a Peavey 412 (Sheffield) and Rivera 412 (v30) to that list. I don't know anyone with a decent Marshall cabinet, I {censored} you not.

• Members

I know it's ugly as sin. I asked him if he could arrange the faceplate more like a normal amp and he got flustered and said something about how he has built thousands of amps, so I could take it or leave it. I'm still leaning towards taking it.

I would like a reverb, a half power switch and a footswitchable solo boost but he said he couldn't do that either. It is cheap though, especially for a point to point wired amp. I figured if I really love it that I could save up for those mods and put it in a different chassis with an attractive front panel at the same time.

I've never seen a bad review of any of the other amps he's built. I've just never read anything about this particular one.

I really want the seperate tone stacks. I also want to be able to do everything from sparkly clean to mid gain Marshally crunch tones. Do you think this amp can pull it off? Is the Fender power amp important for getting that sparkling clean goodness? If I put 6L6s or 6V6s in it would it sound like a Fender power amp? I know that Marshall basically stole and changed this design. How was the preamp tweaking more extensive than the Frenzel website describes? Any other amp for anywhere near this price range that can pull of the tones I'm looking for? (Don't you dare say a Hot Rod Deluxe.
:p
)

Look into a Heritage Colonial.

• Members

Thanks for the lead on a similar amp. The Colonial looks way better. On the other hand, it has only one tone stack and only one input, so you can't a/b the channels. It's also about twice the money. Here in Canada they quoted me $2249 Canadian. I'm sure it sounds great, but I can't part with that much cash without having exactly the features I want. Actually I don't have that much cash to part with! Thanks anyway. Anyone else with an amp suggestion (under $1500) that will acheive everything from Fender clean through to Plexi crunch?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived