E34L vs. KT77?

doomsdaymachine

• Members

KT77 will give you that and more

Here's what Bob had to say:

"Here is how the JJ EL34 family shapes up. The standard EL34 is just like the old European EL34's. These are a bit soft with a shallower low end and a smooth breakup with a nice crunch. A typical high quality EL34.

The JJ E34L's provide a deeper low end and are more aggressive and punchy than an EL34. The E34L is tighter with slightly more headroom and power with a more aggressive crunch. A great tube for rhythm and solo work.

The JJ KT77 is not quite a tight as the E34L but tighter than an EL34. The 77's have even a bit more low end extension than the E34L's and they have a nice sizzle in the top end that is not brittle. The clean tone is very fat and full and the crunch has more of a chunk to it and it's very punchy but not quite as aggressive as the E34L. A great tube for rhythm and solo work".

• Members

I have the KT77s in my DSL and couldn't be happier, however I have never tried the E34Ls. I think Craggin describes it well, except EL34 = crunch and the KT77 = crunchy thud. I have a 2x12 cab with Celestion Classic Lead 80s and the bass sounds great, nice full support for the mids and trebles. I also play with the depth button engaged and the bass to 4 and presence at 5. These are great for that hard rock sound, they aren't as tight as the EL34s but they are still tight enough for me. I would really like to hear a comparison of the two, maybe I will record something like that one of these days.

Cole

• Members

I think KT-77's would sound pretty good in a DSL. The DSL has alot of mids to begin with and could use some more lowend punch.

I've tried E34L's in my old DSL 50, didn't notice too much of a change, but it was a good change. Just a bit more head room and more clarity with a more solid lowend. I think KT-77s would be even more noticable. KT-77s are also more percussive sounding as well.

• Members

I've had both in the past. Different amps but the e34l's are a little more agressive sounding but the KT77's have more low end, smoother more complex mids and a softer top end. Out of the two I like the kt77s a lot better although i'm not much of a el34 variant guy in the first place.

• Members

In my QR, this is my quick take on it:

EL34's = Crunch

KT77's = Thud

Good way to put it.

I also thought that the E34Ls cut through better when doing fast rhythm work in my QR. The KT77s seem to have more growl in the lower-mids than the E34L, which has more emphasis in the upper-mids. I think the KT77s work really well in amps with a lot of preamp distortion, since they seem like a more 'open' sounding tube.

I recently tried an old quad of E34Ls in my QR after using KT77s for a while and I was pleasantly surprised. Either way, I think they are some of the best EL34 types availible.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived