Using Reverb Send as FX loop on Deluxe Reverb

j_nition

• Members

Anyone heard of doing this? I came across this while doing a google search but still have some questions:

".... The reverb circuit is in a parallel

loop style setup. If you hook a male-RCA->dual-female-RCAs y-cord

to the reverb driver output (marked "reverb input") you'll get a

nice effects send out of the deal, provided you have the appropriate

RCA->1/4" adapter cord. Same deal on the reverb return (or leave

the return unhooked if you want to use just the digital reverb/

FX...) and then the reverb knob is now an "effects" knob. Don't

unhook the reverb tank from the driver side unless you have a 8-15

ohm/5-10W load resistor to replace it. The reverb driver is a small

tube power amp using both halves of a 12AT7 in a parallel single-

ended configuration. It is transformer coupled, and _will_ blow up

if not loaded with something approaching the correct load."

So according to this do you have to splice into reverb tank's wires with effects before (or after) it to return it to the amp?

• Members

Translation (I think):

Tap into both the Reverb input and output leads with Y cables and use them as effects loop send & receive. Level of loop will be controled by reverb knob. I guess if you just spliced into the reverb "loop" like that you would probably still pass a reverb signal alongside any effects you put in the loop. (unless you disconnected the reverb tank altogether and replaced it with a 8-15ohm / 5-10W load).

Makes sense, in theory at least. I haven't tried that trick but I know you can do some strange things with that reverb path. One I HAVE tried is running the reverb tank's ouput jack to the input of Channel 1 with your guitar plugged into Channel 2. Channel 1's volume now becomes the reverb level control and channel 1's tone controls now shape which frequencies are emphasized with reverb. Kind of cool if you haven't tried it before, makes the reverb a lot more versatile.

• Members

If you are running effects in front of the amp you are effecting the entire gain stage of the amp... an fx loop would allow you to insert Delay and modulation effects after the Preamp gain stages and before the power section. This would allow you to drive the preamp tubes with an OD, distortion, or boost in front of the amp and still have your mod effects be tube buffered before going into the power section.

To my ears the sound of digital delay in front and a loop is 100% different.

• Members

If you are running effects in front of the amp you are effecting the entire gain stage of the amp... an fx loop would allow you to insert Delay and modulation effects after the Preamp gain stages and before the power section. This would allow you to drive the preamp tubes with an OD, distortion, or boost in front of the amp and still have your mod effects be tube buffered before going into the power section.

To my ears the sound of digital delay in front and a loop is 100% different.

That makes sense if you're talking about an amp with a lot of preamp gain. The Deluxe Reverb absolutely does NOT fall into that category...

If you wanted to run time-based effects (ie. delays/modulation) into, let's say, a Mesa/Boogie, you put those effects through the loop so that they're not affected by all that fizzy preamp gain. The Deluxe Reverb stays clean until those 6V6's start to breakup...

The difference between running your effects out front and running them through whatever effects loop you can conjure up would be so minute, you'll kick yourself for wasting even a second of your time thinking about it. I won't even bring up what a pain the extra cable runs would be...

You're running dirt pedals out front? Make sure your time-based effects are behind them in the chain--it's that simple. Your "gain stage" you refer to ARE the dirt pedals...

• Members

I supose I hear what your saying... The Deluxe isnt a preamp gain driven amp, True.

But theres a definite difference in the sound of delay behind a dirt box out front and the sound of delay in the loop behind the gain stages of a preamp section being driven by a dirt box out front.

so thats what I'm after... I want to add delay to the amp's tube tone, not just feed it a delayed guitar signal and amplify it on down the line.

• Members

so thats what I'm after... I want to add delay to the amp's tube tone, not just feed it a delayed guitar signal and amplify it on down the line.

I don't know, maybe I'll have to try it one day myself, but until then, my delays into my Twin Reverb are as clean as I'll ever need them. Hell, my delays in front of my Marshall are clean enough for most of my applications, and that's not very clean...

• Members

Made it happen.

My dd-20 sounds exactly how I wish it would sound...so much more crisp with increased presence. The regeneration on the analog and tape modes really comes to life now!

I also have found I can still make use of the reverb path by using a RCA "Y" cable on the return to create two loops.

The only drawback is the reverb is'nt as present. I'm now trying to sus out finding the right level to set the reverb knob which has now become my fx AND Reverb mix knob. Theres a point where noise becomes an issue and the reverb still isn't present enough but I'm confident I can sort it with some level tweaking on the dd-20.

It looks like this:

.....................................-->reverb tank in-->Tank out-->

Reverb out of Amp-->RCA Y............................................RCA Y---Back to Amp

.....................................-->delay pedal in-->Delay out-->

Pretty cool.

• Members

Thanks for the update.

I've got to say it's a new one on me. I wonder if the 'noise' you mention and reverb being 'not as present' might have to do with some type of phase cancellation going on by splitting the signal. That, or some drop in reverb driver level by trying to peel off half it's signal. A higher output reverb tube like a 12AX7 instead of a 12AT7 reverb driver? (please only try that at your own risk, I'm no tech by a long shot).

Archived