Any decent cheap keyboard out there for occasional use?

iGirl

• Members

I'm a retired pro, but put all that away years ago - I've owned played and performed with almost all of the classic synths as well as piano, Clavinet, Fender Rhodes, Hammond etc. along the way.

The last synth I had I gave to my sons. K2000 and tons of rack stuff. I liked the K2000's Fatar action. 10+ years later I'm looking to add a desktop keyboard to do some composition. It's not serious so I don't want to spend a ton of money.

I actually bought (online) a M-Audio Keystudio 49i with internal piano sound., USB MIDI, and a USB Audio I/O. It seemed to be a clever thing to do, but the action is horrific. Super cheap plastic, with very high tension springs on it. It's going back.

I also decided I was running out of keys at 49 - so 63 is probably the way to go.

Now I'm starting to think that under $300 all I'm going to get new, is junk like the M-Audio thing. So now I'm looking at used as well. K2000s were plentiful and cheap some time back, but now they've vanished or I would just buy another one. I still have not seen as powerful of a synth engine to best it.

Any other ideas for playability on the cheap? Something that has a really decent pro action (not necessarily weighted). Internal sounds or controller features are not priority, but only a bonus, as is USB-MIDI....but a MIDI out is pretty important. I just can't handle the Radio Shack/M-Audio keyboards though. What are they selling to these kids???? lol

Thanks in advance for ideas!

• Members

OK first of all synths jump from 49 keys to 61 keys for the most part. Second for something 61 keys you will need to up your price for new. Third and what I think you are asking? Yes you can find more used synths for $300US+. For you desk that could lessen you choices. Do you have a computer?

• Members

I still see K2000's pretty regularly on Craigslist for around $250-$300. K2500's and K2600's have become a bit rarer, though.

And you're right, there is nothing for $300 that comes close to what a K2000 can do.

If you're not in a big city, you might want to comb Craigslist in the nearest metropolitan area and take a day trip when a K2000 pops up. I wouldn't buy one off of Ebay, since it would likely be destroyed in transit.

You might also want to ask your son if he's still using the K2000 you gave him. Maybe he's done with it and can give it back. :)

• Members

OK first of all synths jump from 49 keys to 61 keys for the most part. Second for something 61 keys you will need to up your price for new. Third and what I think you are asking? Yes you can find more used synths for $300US+. For you desk that could lessen you choices. Do you have a computer?

Thanks much - yea sorry I mistyped 63 - meant to say 49 wasn't cutting it - 61 was what I would like to find... used. I realize the NEW low end 61s are all going to likely be the same junk as M-Audio unless I'm mistaken.

It doesn't have to be exactly "desktop" but yes, I mentioned USB-MIDI, and the primary use is going to be as a DAW controller... some stand alone function again, is great - but if I have to give all that up to get playability, then so be it!

Another thing really funky about the M-Audio 49i internal piano sound - the higher up one played (notes) the quieter it got. The low end notes were loud OTOH. The sound itself was just OK - about what one would expect on the cheap.

• Members

I still see K2000's pretty regularly on Craigslist for around $250-$300. K2500's and K2600's have become a bit rarer, though...

That would be great - to find one. Sadly though - I moved from CA to WV back in March! Guess I just need to be a lot more patient and keep and eye out on CL. I know how fragile the K2000 can be if not packed/shipped exactly right... so while eBay might be an option - it's not the first choice. Chances of getting mine back from my son are zero. LOL He took it with him to Berklee and now is back in CA. It's fully loaded too. Sampling, memory HDD and both sound blocks.

I'm also open to something much simpler however....as long as the action itself is playable. One can always add a K200R/K2500R later.

Thanks!

• Members

I know I sound like a broken record, but for what you are looking to do:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alesis-QS-7-1-keyboard-QS-synthesizer-QS7-1-/120820994467?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item1c217e11a3

This one claims "lightly used". If so, the synth action is really good. And with 635 Programs/400 Mixes + expansion PCMCIA slots, you have almost every sound/instrument covered, and pretty well, also.

Yes, I know I sound like a fanboi, but it's just that all of these QS are so cheap on eBay, and there is so much bang for the buck. It's definitely a huge leap in quality over anything by M-Audio, in build quality, key action, and sound engine. Not to mention that you can split the keyboard 16 ways. :)

My somewhat messy desk (not my studio) a few minutes ago, with my spare QS7.1:

a1614563.jpg

Just to show that it is 'desktop-ready'.

• Members

That would be great - to find one. Sadly though - I moved from CA to WV back in March! Guess I just need to be a lot more patient and keep and eye out on CL. I know how fragile the K2000 can be if not packed/shipped exactly right... so while eBay might be an option - it's not the first choice. Chances of getting mine back from my son are zero. LOL He took it with him to Berklee and now is back in CA. It's fully loaded too. Sampling, memory HDD and both sound blocks.

I'm also open to something
much
simpler however....as long as the action itself is playable. One can always add a K200R/K2500R later.

Thanks!

Yeah, I was thinking "California" when I wrote that. West Virginia is another matter. I imagine the CL listings for synths are pretty sparse. If you're in the Eastern panhandle, you might find something in D.C. or Maryland.

For something simpler that still sounds great with a decent keybed and a LOT of useful sounds, you might also look at the Roland XP-30. I'll also second the Quadrasynth suggestion. I've never owned one, but I've played them a few times and they're well made and sound decent.

But I still think Kurzweil remains a strong front runner in that price range. I'll add that the K2500 is well worth the extra $200 or so over the price of a K2000 if you can swing it.

• Members

NP11 is the right price range for sure ha ha - but how's the ACTION? That's the worst part of the M-Audio and the reason I had to return it.

Spotted a couple potential used K2000s today.

As far as the Novation, $600 is out of the price range I'm seeking, and semi-weighted is probably OK, but a true synth action has more playability for a variety of styles.

It's actually pretty nice, much better than most of the semi weighted controllers I've played, it's pretty much the same as the other semi-weighted yamahas I think.

• Members

For synth action, a QS7 would be a great choice, and it has some decent sounds in it too.

For piano action, look for a used Casio CDP-100 or Privia piano. They're 88 hammer-action keys, the sound is remarkably good for the price, and small and light so you can swap keyboards out easily -- no need to leave it set up all the time. The action is a bit on the heavy side, so wouldn't be ideal for synth/organ parts. Or go for a new CDP-140 (or is it 130? something like that) which just replaced the CDP-100. The main difference is the CDP-100 had a MIDI connector whereas the new one has USB-Midi. For me that makes the old one far more useful, since MIDI-to-USB adaptor cables are so cheap now ($6 on ebay, and yes, they work). They only work one way, though, between keyboard and computer -- not between USB-MIDI keyboard and MIDI keyboard.

• Members

Your not going to get anything good at $300 new. And should allready know this if you used to play a lot in a band. You might get lucky and snag a nice used synth for $300-$400 though. Some of the 61 key Alesis. Korg, Emu/Ensoniq, & Yamaha synths that used to sell new for around $600 might be found in nice condition for $300-$400.

• Members

The K2000S I thought I was going to get fell out so I'm still looking. Probably have to wait until reality sinks in after the holidays and bills arrive - then more will come back on the market. lol

How about the Roland D5? It's seriously retro but then maybe the keyboard is not so springy.

The Yamaha NP11 is still interesting, but I've read some conflicting comments and not sure about the action on it. I do NOT want a piano action. A good soft/light FAST SYNTH action is what I hope to find - one you can do a glissando on and not make your fingers bleed (M-Audio/RadioShack toy keyboards). It's just really hard being in the middle of nowhere USA and not having tried any new keyboards since the 1990s. (EDIT- may be able to go see a NP11 at of all places Best Buy!)

Also ran across a Line 6 KB37 that looks interesting, but 37 keys? :-/

• Members

I went to try the NP11 today at Best Buy but all they had were sealed boxes. One has to actually buy it in order to try it out I guess. I suppose I could always unbox it in the parking lot, try it and return it on the spot if needed. lol It's $10 more than everywhere else (online) plus $10 more in tax, but maybe worth it to be able to try before you buy?

I saw the video where they highlight the feature that is most important - it has actual red felt. :facepalm:

Archived