Which speaker wire to wire speakers in a 4x12?

Billy Irish

• Members

Got two 12in speakers in a 4x12 cabinet now and ready to wire in two more. But I realise I' not sure which wire to use.

Gotta be 2-conductor, of course, but does it have to be the red/black wire, or is that just for making the connections convenient/

24 guage wire sufficient, or will I need 18?

Thanks much.

• Members

Go to your local Wal-Mart, back to the car stereo display. They will have a spool of OFC (oxygen free copper) speaker wire in 14 ga. It`s basically the same thing as Monster Cable XP, but at 1/100th the price. It`s actually very nice wire. I`ve used it on tons of stuff including 4x12 and 2x12 cabs.

A 50ft. spool is less than $20.00 and works for anything high power.

Eric

• Members

16AWG is plenty good enough. I've done some with 12 and 14 but they're much harder to work with than 16 (especially 12! :eek:). I wired my home theater with 12AWG wire and my fingers were bleeding when I finished. I find that 16 AWG is the best balance of good sound/ease of use...anything bigger is past the point of diminishing returns IMO.

• Members
16AWG is plenty good enough. I've done some with 12 and 14 but they're much harder to work with than 16 (especially 12!
:eek:
). I wired my home theater with 12AWG wire and my fingers were bleeding when I finished. I find that 16 AWG is the best balance of good sound/ease of use...anything bigger is past the point of diminishing returns IMO.

Yes, especially when it ends up hampering one's ability to make great connections at terminals,etc. And lots of us in the sound end of things use 14 gauge for runs up to 40' with 1000+ watts passing through it.

Archived