What's a good way to permanently darken a rosewood fretboard?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

Well, I got my new guitar today. and everything seems good and looks good, except the fretboard looks very faded/dry... and is a very light color, and I think it looks kinda ugly. I was wondering if there is anyway I can permanently color/stain it a darker brown color? and if so, what would I use? anybody know?

help me out :wave:

• Members

Light mineral oil is the best thing for fretboards if they're dry. It also darkens them, like spit on the sidewalk. You can dye it, but it's tougher then you think, the stuff stains everything, including fingers and inlays.

• Members

Light mineral oil is the best thing for fretboards if they're dry. It also darkens them, like spit on the sidewalk. You can dye it, but it's tougher then you think, the stuff stains everything, including fingers and inlays.

Nah...it doesn't stain inlays unless you leave it a long time and it's pretty easy. The only thing you have to be careful about is getting it on the binding. It does love to stick to that.

• Members

i condition my freboard (and my guitar, as it's a satin finish) every 2 months or so.

*shrug* i'm also kind of anal about my gear.

This is not the best thing for the frets. Over oiling can cause the frets to become loose or un-glued. :eek:

edit... i saw someone else posted this..

• Members

well, i didn't know that. :] i'll take it easy on the conditioning then. :]

has anyone tried using lard on their fretboard? my old guitar tech (before he moved to vancouver) swore by this. just take a bit, and rub it in with a toothbrush.

• Members

Man someone really should edit this thread because some kid is going to destroy a $1800 guitar neck with some of these posts.

If the board looks dry you have better things to do than play GC with your guitar's looks.

Oil that board.

"better things to do than play GC with your guitar's looks"...?

excuse me? GC?

anyways, I think you guys are not understanding. it isn't just a little light looking... it's {censored}ing almost white looking in some places. it came from las vegas so I'm guessing it was very dry there and nobody took care of it. it looks way lighter than any rosewood board ever should..... looks like {censored}.... the guitar itself plays great and sounds great and the body and everything else looks good, so I'd really like to get the fretboard looking and feeling better, so I can keep the guitar, heh...

I think it's too far gone to just oil it a bit and have the problem solved... it may help bring back some moisture, but I do want it to darken up a lot too, so that's why I'm asking about how to permanently darken it...

• Members

Josh -

Go get some lemon oil or other fretboard conditioner, and condition the fretboard. Don't worry about dying it or anything else. Sounds like a bad case of dry rosewood, and little bit of conditioning should bring it back to life.

• Members

"better things to do than play GC with your guitar's looks"...?

excuse me? GC?

anyways, I think you guys are not understanding. it isn't just a little light looking... it's {censored}ing almost white looking in some places. it came from las vegas so I'm guessing it was very dry there and nobody took care of it. it looks way lighter than any rosewood board ever should..... looks like {censored}.... the gutiar itself plays great and sounds great and the body and everything else looks good, so I'd really like to get the fretboard looking and feeling better, so I can keep the guitar, heh...

I think it's too far gone to just get a little oiling done.. it may help bring back moistening it, but I do want it to darken a little too, so that's why I'm asking about how to permanently darken it...

Oopsssss

I meant GQ...sorry.

Go oil that fretboard.

• Members

Josh -

Go get some lemon oil or other fretboard conditioner, and condition the fretboard. Don't worry about dying it or anything else. Sounds like a bad case of dry rosewood, and little bit of conditioning should bring it back to life.

alright, I'll try that first I guess. got a link to a particular one you recommend?

Archived