Whats the best recorded amp tone you have ever heard and how was it created?

AMSnell

• Members

It's always for me been 2 SONGS more than albums, but they are as follows:

Sad Exchange by Finger Eleven

Just a great rock tone. James used a Fender Tele Plus into a Bogner Ecstacy 101b and Rick used a PRS swamp ash model into a Marshall JCM800 with a boost of some sort. That song has the best modern mainstream rock tone I've heard in a very long time.

Clean my wounds by Corrosion of Conformity

Probably the most laid back and yet mean sounding guitar tone I've ever heard. It's what I use as a frame of reference when I'm checking out amps. If it'll nail that sound I'm usually pretty pumped.
Pepper used an Esp Viper with a Tom Anderson H3 in the bridge into a Mesa Boogie .50 caliber + and Woody used an Esp Viper with an Invader in the bridge into a Mesa Dual Recto.

• Members

Pink Floyd - early tone (circa meddle) and 80s live tone... the early tone was hiwatts, fuzz, rotating speakers, and tape echo. The late tone was pretty much everything... way too much gear for me to comprehend.

Van Halen circa EVH I - Well, thats the big mystery in the world of guitar tone... but everyone is reasonably sure old Marshalls and the studio magic of Ted Templeton were involved.

AIC - Dirt (rhythm tone... lead tone is meh). Lots of tracks of various bogners and mesas.

Sleep - Dopesmoker - Cranked Matamps and Les Pauls.

• Members

Sad Exchange by Finger Eleven

Just a great rock tone. James used a Fender Tele Plus into a Bogner Ecstacy 101b and Rick used a PRS swamp ash model into a Marshall JCM800 with a boost of some sort. That song has the best modern mainstream rock tone I've heard in a very long time.

Props for that. James Black always gets great tone.

My favourite recorded tones are:

Incubus - New Skin (PRS Custom 22 into Mesa Triple Rectifier & Mesa Oversized cabinets)

Thrice - Weight of Glory (Gibson and Fenders into JCM 800s & Marshall and Mesa cabinets)

Foo Fighters - Breakout (Gibson Trini Lopez through a Vox AC-30)

• Members
Pink Floyd - early tone (circa meddle) and 80s live tone... the early tone was hiwatts, fuzz, rotating speakers, and tape echo. The late tone was pretty much everything... way too much gear for me to comprehend.

gilmour-94-diagram.jpg

gonna have to agree, mostly. mine is a '67 Strat, a Hiwatt DR103, a Hiwatt cab, a Binson Echorec, and a fuzz face. mics are really the only thing i have no idea bout, though. :cry:

• Members

Props for that. James Black always gets great tone.

My favourite recorded tones are:

Incubus - New Skin (PRS Custom 22 into Mesa Triple Rectifier & Mesa Oversized cabinets)

Thrice - Weight of Glory (Gibson and Fenders into JCM 800s & Marshall and Mesa cabinets)

Foo Fighters - Breakout (Gibson Trini Lopez through a Vox AC-30)

Yeah dude. James is actually a pretty big gear nerd like the rest of us. Songwriting wise he's pretty tits as well.

All your choices are pretty good as well, although on that foo album I'd have picked Stacked Actors.

• Members

Appetite for Destruction, easily. I have no idea what the gear was though.

Modded JCM800 which Slash got from some music store, and it happened to be one that George Lynch used.

For me, Led Zeppelin I with Jimmy's Supro Super 24

• Members

+1 on Tom Petty in particular Mike Campbell. I just love the production quality on almost all of the Petty records, clear and crisp yet warm, almost sounds like they are playing in your living room, also I really dig Who's Next (on vinyl) and most Lenny Kravitz recordings, mostly for thier warmth.

• Members
N*Flaymz - The Jester Race

It was created by wacking a bee hive with a guitar tuned to B, and recording the various reactions of the bees with Fredrik Nordstrom's patented innovation of using two mics to record one source at the same time.

Ah yes, the Nordstrom technique....:)

Archived