KT66, KT77 and KT88...what are the differences?

rockappalla

• Members

KT66, I have in my amp, it was EL34 to begin with, all it took was a visit to the tech and he adjusted the bias, I will NEVER use EL34's again. The KT66 is very '3d' beautiful and glassy sounding, I have the Shunguangs in, and the difference in tone is TO ME!! night and day. My tech says the 88's are even better.

• Members

how different are the KT88 and 6550s?

I think it depends on the brand, but the way I understand it in the electroharmonix line:

6550 = wider range sound, really big, clean, and loud

KT-88 = a little more focused, maybe not as bright OR bassy.

I could be wrong, but I think 6550's utilize the more power on tap than the KT-88. I could be wrong.

:confused:

I've only used 6550's, I love 'em.

• Members

yeah I have 6550s now.. I am looking for a retube as my powertubes started to make pops and crackles! :( oh well I bought it used and the tubes are there for llike 6 years..and I crank the shit out of it so..:p

• Members

yeah I have 6550s now.. I am looking for a retube as my powertubes started to make pops and crackles!
:(
oh well I bought it used and the tubes are there for llike 6 years..and I crank the shit out of it so..
:p

I had crackle in my 2150. It turned out to be a bad $.29 resistor operating at an off-value.

of course, it took $200 in labour to find it.

• Members

here's my take:

kt66 has different tone and about the same output as 6l6 about 50watts a pair

kt77 has different tone and about the same output as el34 about 50watts a pair

kt88/6550 is a different animal, look for a little over 80 watts a pair. aside from the tonal differences between tube models (and individual tubes, really), you get more clean headroom when using kt88/6550's. so, if you like power amp saturation, don't go with them. also, make sure that the tubes you want to switch to will physically fit...kt66/kt88/6550 have huge bottles, with the kt88/6550'd being larger.

on a side note, i have a matched pair of GT kt66 HP tubes that i can't use anymore. they've got about 25 hours combined playing time and burn in. for some reason, GT discontinued these...i guess i should put them up for sale in the classifieds...

Archived