someone NAILING "No woman, no cry" on organ

suitandtieguy

• Members

most people who know me know that i resent Marley's dominance of reggae. that does not mean that i haven't listened to this song a hundred times out of love, nor that i can't appreciate someone NAILING this organ part, which i believe is pretty tricky if you want to follow the live version note-for-note like this guy did. my hat is seriously off at this guy.

this one goes out to that jerk in Flagstaff who was doing a crap job of this song on the streetcorner and told me there was no good reggae other than Marley and Sublime. if you only worked half as hard as this guy you'd be on the road banking it with merch instead of busking it in Flagstaff like a broke trustafarian.

[video=youtube;QfT7bdRkfJQ]

• Members

I want one of those. hammond B3, you say? Hmmm. Have to check'em out...
;)

That's actually an A100, which is a B3 in a 'home style' case with built-in amp, speakers & reverb. They used to be a great bargain till everyone figured out that they sound and play exactly like a B3 (if you add the right kind of Leslie). When you find out how expensive the full sized genu-wine Hammond tonewheel/Leslie combo have become, you might look into one of the Hammond spinets, such as the M3, which is widely regarded (except by S&TG) as the best of that bunch. And don't forget the Leslie.

(spam: Hammond M3 with Model 225 Toob Amp Leslie, $600. $2600 shipped.)

:lol:

• Members

why would you resent Marleys dominance of reggae he's not done anything since 1980????? his music is really the backbone of everything. Roots and culture reggae is the toughest to play . I am seen plenty of musicians the can't touch marley Marley stuff. If that guy can bubble that will really be something.

• Members

why would you resent Marley's dominance of reggae he's not done anything since 1980????? his music is really the backbone of everything. Roots and culture reggae is the toughest to play . I am seen plenty of musicians the can't touch marley Marley stuff. If that guy can bubble that will really be something.

dude i love Marley.

what i resent is that fact that most people don't look past Marley when it comes to reggae, and the general ignorance in regard to reggae of the public allows a genre like "dubstep" with "wobble bass" to be popular while having nothing to do with actual dub or Jah Wobble.

i resent the fact that when you're playing a reggae gig in a college town for a bunch of entitled trustafarians you can't do anything other than play Marley covers or you get tomatoes thrown at you, and if you play "Simmer Down" they complain because they don't recognise it since it's not on Legend.

i resent idiots like that street musician in Flagstaff who was butchering "No Woman No Cry" on acoustic guitar, and when i asked him if he played any reggae tunes other than Marley he said "what's the point, it's all garbage but him and Sublime." and it's not like he's the only mouth-breathing idiot that thinks reggae starts with Marley and ends in Sublime and everything else is garbage.

i resent that jamaican music isn't more respected by american black music musicians. "trad ska" should be just as important a style to learn as "latin" or "ballad" to the working jazz musician, and reggae shouldn't be treated as a backwater genre.

i resent that reggae, dub, and ska lovers all can't come together in togetherness unless they are record collectors. the hard-core listeners love all this stuff ...

anyway, you say Marley is the backbone. Mento is the backbone. Mento came before ska, ska came before rocksteady, and rocksteady came before reggae. could you actually look Don Drummond or Ernest Ranglin in the face and tell them that Marley is the backbone of everything?

as far as wether this guy can bubble or not, i don't really care. he earned his stripes with this transcription.

i'm not trying to bust your chops here, i'm just explaining myself since you asked. you're one of the few people i communicate with regularly that loves jamaican music more than i do, and i know you understand what i'm talking about.

think about every time you've seen a bunch of dirty hippies at a jam band festival butcher a song you love and how angry it made you feel. (and in my case their bass player's girlfriend insinuated that my modular synthesiser was just a bunch of blinking lights for show and that i was just miming my completely improvised set.)

pardon me for posting interestingly for a change. i'll go back to being boring again.

• Members

Alright, disclosure: I'm not an organist, and know nearly nothing about reggae. But I've heard this "bubble" term before, and I THINK I know what it is, but I want to confirm. Can one of you fine gentlemen point me to a Youtube example that you think is the best example of bubbling?

Thanks.

:wave:

• Members

That's actually an A100, which is a B3 in a 'home style' case with built-in amp, speakers & reverb. They used to be a great bargain till everyone figured out that they sound and play exactly like a B3 (if you add the right kind of Leslie). When you find out how expensive the full sized genu-wine Hammond tonewheel/Leslie combo have become, you might look into one of the Hammond spinets, such as the M3, which is widely regarded (except by S&TG) as the best of that bunch. And don't forget the Leslie.

(spam: Hammond M3 with Model 225 Toob Amp Leslie, $600. $2600 shipped.)

:lol:

This weekend I opened up craigslist and a guy was giving away a beautiful condition hammond spinet. the ad was at the very top of the musical instruments category, whcih means it had been there maybe ten minutes. I called immediately. the guy answered and told me that someone was on their way out to look at it, but that he would call me if the guy didn't take it (did I mention he was giving it away?) obviously, I never heard back.

• Members

There's a lot I don't know about this genre, and I'll admit that there are some pretty cool and challenging keyboard parts in some reggae I've heard. But what's the big deal about bubbling? At the risk of incurring the wrath of those who discurr wrath, what's so hard about it? I learned to count "one-eeh-and-ah two-eeh-and-ah" in junior high school band class. It would seem fairly rudimentary, even after 'a foggy trip down the ganja river'.

• Members

what's the big deal about bubbling?

i can only answer this question from my own experience.

the reason i am not good at "bubbling" and the other associated styles of jamaican music and i had to "do my own thing" instead as a matter of necessity is because i've always been the bassist in the bands i've lead (always as organist.) when you take half of your body and devote it to playing bass you find you only have the right foot and the right hand left, and the right foot operates the volume pedal. that leaves the right hand. it's physically impossible to bubble with one hand, so i had to take a more simplistic approach.

when you have a big band full of devoted people it doesn't matter what genre it is, you're going to do a good job of it. if i'd ever been able to have a 5 piece band with 2 guitarists and a dedicated bass player i'd probably be much better at bubbling. however i've never been able to get more than a guitarist and a drummer to go along with my ideas, so i have to work from an organ jazz perspective. i'm not upset at this, because it's _highly_ efficient and more maneuverable than the Millennium Falcon.

anyway, as i was saying, i actually have a lot of respect for good bubbling because it's a support role and i generally have way more respect for good support roles than soloists, because support (bass, drums, chords) is where the vibe comes from and if the vibe is good you can get away with almost anything on top of it.

and as i said, i'm not good at bubbling because i've never had an opportunity to work on it. you might look at it and say "that's simple i can do that" but the reality is that it isn't true ... there _is_ a feel to it and while it looks like a bunch of rhythmic hocketing when it comes down to it there's more to it than that.

and yeah i wrote this in a text editor. whatever. despite this i'm sure i'm ramblingLOL

Archived