Reccomend a good cab for a 5150

deldgeetar

• Members

I got a good deal on a 5150 today ($500)! The amp is awesome, though it's not in my hands just yet. The dude agreed to take $100 down and give him the other $400 in a week or so. Good {censored}.:thu: I am wondering what a good cab for this head would be. I tried out the amp through a Marshall 1960A he had, and it sounded good at lower volumes but terrible up loud. He told me the 5150 had damaged the cab. Now, he also had his Resonance and Bass on 10 and the amp was turned up halfway. Apparently this was his normal band practice setting.:freak: Was the crappy sound up loud due to his ridiculous settings wearing out the cab, or does a 1960A not handle a 5150 well? I readjusted the settings and had the EQ and gain at 5 before playing it. Also, apparently this head was originally owned by the guitarist from "Between the Buried and Me" and the current owner bought it off him at a show in Sacramento. Go figure.:idea:

• Members

A marshall cab is fine, just not one with g12t75's or any from the budget line. They sound a bit better in an x with vintage 30's. A v30 loaded cab will sound good with it and so will a greenback loaded cab. I also like the relic 30's with it, much better then the g12t75's. For a greenback loaded marshall cab I prefer the 1960tv with the 5150 over the standard size cab

• Members

Some folks say that V30s accentuate the nasal character of the midrange on the Peavey, is this true? Also, I'm not a big V30 fan myself. I think they sound very gritty and grainy when you stand in front of them. I liked the EV 200 watt in my Mark IIC+ and VHT P50E's but there's no way I could afford a VHT cab.:mad:

• Members

"I think they sound very gritty and grainy when you stand in front of them." that depends on the amp, I use v30 cabs with my mesa's and they sound great(framus 30 watt version), they were good with my 5150, much better then the g12t75's but not as good as greenbacks or relic 30's. "accentuate the nasal character of the midrange on the Peavey" I find that to be true to a degree with peavey amps. That mid honk dose not stand out as much in a mix. The v30 brings out the honk but the g12t75 brings out the fizz. Try the relic 30's, they seem to be a perfect match for the 5150 and xxx. They are darker speakers and don't have the v30 mid hump or the g12t75 fizz. Tight lows, smooth mids and highs. I believe the mode 4 has the same speakers in it with a different name but I am not 100% sure, I know it dose not use standard v30's. They are not that expensive, build quality is as good as the more expensive lines, they are not cheap junk like the rocket 50. They are discontinued, so if you see a set get them. I would have never thought to try them but I got a good deal on them. I loaded my 1960a with them and was floored at how much better they sounded then the g12t75's.:thu:

• Members

Some folks say that V30s accentuate the nasal character of the midrange on the Peavey, is this true? Also, I'm not a big V30 fan myself. I think they sound very gritty and grainy when you stand in front of them. I liked the EV 200 watt in my Mark IIC+ and VHT P50E's but there's no way I could afford a VHT cab.
:mad:

I have had a recto cab with 30's and it did for sure accentuate the mids. Did not care for it as much as some others. However the same speakers (vintage 30) in a soldano cab was fat and warm but still let the highs through. The 5150 cabs imo are very good with the head. Still, of all the cabs I have had, the soldano 4x12 with soldano speakers sounded the best to me.

• Members

the bottom line is that no matter what cab he uses, it's still a 5150. it's a tone vacuum no matter what.

Dude thats not cool man. Dude just got a 5150 head and he is excited. He doesn't need you to pop his bubble.

Dan

• Members

The cab I always thought worked well with a 5150 was a Framus Dragon cab. Backed when I played 5150's, that was my favorite cab I tried them through.

I never really liked a Marshall 1960A with the 5150. The G12T-75's sound too boomy and harsh with the 5150, IMO.

• Members

i liked mine with a 1960a ok, but wasn't my favorite

i LOVE it with my x patterened splawn cabs, or a good v30 loaded cab...i don't like the marshall cabs with v30's because they tend to be brighter than most; something like a mesa, splawn, or orange cab wth v30's sounds awesome with a 5150 tho

that head works pretty well with most any cab tho, it's not as picky as some amps i've played

BTW...whether you prefer the rhythm or lead channel for your main tone will make a pretty big difference with what cabs work best IMO, i like to switch between the two but i'm starting to prefer the rhythm channel

• 12 years later...
  • Members

I have a 1960 a with g12t-75's and it sounds super far and chunky with my block letter 5150.. just have to cut a bit of treble. Other good thing is since they're a bit mid scooped you can really pour the kids on if u need

Archived