Can you carry a 4x12 by yourself?

barneyc4

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How do you move a 4x12 around? For example, loading it on the van/suv/truck?

Do you do it yourself or ALWAYS ask for help?

Anyone take a 4x12 upstairs?

If you can't lift that cab, then you are either under 14 years old or a weak excuse of a man. They are generally udner 100lbs, and every man on the planet should be able to lift their own weight, I imagine you weigh over 100lbs?

If you're talking about carrying one down the streen a few blocks without rolling it on casters, then no. Don't do that.

• Members

A 4x12 isn't too tough to carry around. If it's a Marshall, totally easy. They're what, 80 pounds and not too big? I could carry mine around without a problem. The only 4x12 I had an issue with was the Bogner 4x12 I owned for a short while. I guess the dimensions were just a little two stretched out for my frame, because grabbing both handles and carrying it was a bitch on my lower back.

Now I'll just stick to occasionally moving around my Mark IV 1x12 with an EVM in its roadcase. :lol:

• Members

Yes I can and do it often. obviously I have band mates, but it seems everytime I'm ready to load it, they aren't around. So instead of being a little bitch and waiting for the help I just get it over with. But on my job I easily have to lift awkward things that weigh well over 100 lbs on a daily basis practically. Its all relative.

• Members
LMAO!!! absolutely!!!

I used to carry 2 of them(at the same time) up and down 3 flights of stairs in an apartment that I lived in. Carrying them down wasnt bad but carrying them up burnned my quads like a bitch at the end, it was like a set of heavy squats

2 at the same time, up 3 flights of stairs...? Is that one in each hand or somehow wrapping your arms around both at once? :confused:

• Members

how the hell do you guys WALK with 4x12's? How do you life them up a flight of stairs by yourselves without going step by step? I dont get it.

I think it depends on your height. I was able to move a 4x12 up and down a flight of stairs without much of an issue, but I was able to hold it high enough that it wasn't impeding my ability to go up and down stairs. It was a Marshall cabinet and not some OS Recto or Bogner 4x12, though.

• Members

My girlfriend got really drunk at one of my gigs. When I was tearing down my rig, she suddenly picked up my 1960, JOGGED over to my car, and hoisted it up into the back.

She's 5'10", 140 lbs., and wears size 0 jeans. If she can do it, so can you :cop: .... And if you can't, I guess just get drunk and try again :thu:

• Members

lol im 5'10 210lbs and built like a brick {censored}house....like i said I dont get it.

Maybe you need to add the 4x12 clean and press to your workout regimen. I'd start with a 5x5 with an empty cab, then start adding speakers until you can get to four EV-12Ls. Deload to a 2x12 for a week after your first month.

:o

• Members
How do you move a 4x12 around? For example, loading it on the van/suv/truck?

Do you do it yourself or ALWAYS ask for help?

Anyone take a 4x12 upstairs?

My studio is upstairs in a loft above a print shop. Not only are the stairs narrow, but they're also really steep. Moving our gear (especially the Ampeg 8x10) up and down the stairs is always a risky proposition. :eek:

• Members

Just one yeah. We used to have to tote 4 4x12's around. Was part of the image but nobody noticed how many were mic'd. We played full stacks babaayy yeaaah

My back is f'd from all that he man lifting {censored} of PA's and big cabs (teh 80's had refrigerator sized PA's..... not that unmanly {censored} you see now :lol: ). Should have listened to my doc 15 years ago and always had a helper before lifting awkward weighted items like cabs.

It's not the weight aspect, it's the lack of balance when moving them by yourself that {censored}s your back up. Today we always lift guitar and PA cabs with more than one person and make sure the weight is never tilted. Do that, and it feels like you are lifting 10 lbs instead of an imbalanced 90 lbs.

• Members

I always asked for help if it was around. It usually travelled in the van. Gigs around town always sucked cuz I loaded into/out of my Honda Civic hatchback at both the beginning and end of the night. I happily switched back to combo amps in the early '90s. Never looked back. However, if you've never had one you owe yourself the experience. Sonically they're a lot of fun.

• Members

My Bogner 4X12 is definitely heavier than a 1960 but I can move it myself no problem. Bandmates usually help me if they're around but honestly I've got a system of how I load/unload my car and I'm fast at it, it's usually faster if I just do it myself :lol: You do have to be smart about lifting properly though, you can hurt your back if you're not for sure.

Archived