Can you carry a 4x12 by yourself?

barneyc4

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If I absolutely had to, I probably could, but damn, I sure don't want to. Especially my Mesa Roadready cab--that thing is just obscenely heavy. Actually I'm not so sure I could move that up a flight of stairs by myself. But that's one of the advantages of playing in a band: there's always a set of hands to help you out. I help my keyboardist carry his Yamaha Motif ES8, and he gives me a hand on one side of my cab.

• Members

I used to move my 5150 cab (100 pounds) up and down stairs all the time without any strength problems. However, I have a bad lower back and a few times I literally could not walk for several days after. I was in some harcore pain. Only happened if I was in a hurry and didn't use safe lifting technique.

• Members

Especially my Mesa Roadready cab--that thing is just obscenely heavy.

That brings up a very good point; there's a big difference in weight between a lot of 4x12s. I can move Marshalls around without a problem. I wouldn't even want to think about moving one of those armor-plated Mesas around; regular Mesa cabs are heavy enough as it is!

How much do Orange cabs weigh? The wood on those looks about two inches thick...

• Members

That brings up a very good point; there's a big difference in weight between a lot of 4x12s. I can move Marshalls around without a problem. I wouldn't even want to think about moving one of those armor-plated Mesas around; regular Mesa cabs are heavy enough as it is!

Yeah...I don't know if I could do that one solo. My other cab is a 5150 cab, which is sort of tricky to lift because it's pretty wide, but I have lifted it up into my van and on stages by myself. I've never tried hauling it up and down stairs solo...to be honest it'd be tough. When I got my first 4x12 (a particle board Hughes & Kettner with no casters) I did carry it down the alley from my van and up three flights of stairs to my apartment, though I was struggling by the end. So I guess maybe I do need to work out more, except that would take time away from making music, so {censored} it.

• Members

{censored} that. I'm 6ft 1 210lbs and I barely ever try to lift a 4x12 myself. A Marshall 1960 cab sure, but they don't count. They're {censored} cabs weighing in at like 70 pounds or something. Most GOOD 4x12's are around 95-105lbs...

It's not the weight, it's the awkward size of them. I always get someone to help I don't feel like busting my ass. Same thing with my drums, I pretty just don't do anything until people start worrying and then they start carrying in my {censored}. I'm a dick hahaha.

• Members

How much do Orange cabs weigh? The wood on those looks about two inches thick...

I rmember it being over 100 by a fair bit, can't remember exact though.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I'm 5'8", 145 lbs and 52 years old with an artificial hip (from too much exercise) and I have no problem lifting my Germino 4x12. It's all about proper technique. Squat low, keep your lower back straight, head up, lift with your legs and arms and let the cab slide along your knees instead of violating your lumbar arch. It helps your knees if you use a padded case. Sometimes I find that tilting it forward a little and rocking back in one smooth motoin as you life helps. OR, you can also elevate the cab first with a couple narrow footstools and THEN lift using the above technique. Makes it a lot easier.

GerminoFaustineMSR100.jpg

• Members

How do you move a 4x12 around? For example, loading it on the van/suv/truck?

Do you do it yourself or ALWAYS ask for help?

Anyone take a 4x12 upstairs?

In a van or pickup truck it's easy to do all by yourself. It's getting it in the {censored}ing car that's a killer. Also up the stairs - once you've got it grappled and off the ground going up or down stairs is no problem. It's the doors/doorways and the switchbacks on the stairs that kill me.

Archived