Differences between the Marshall 8100 and VS100 valvestates

ZeroTolerance

• Members

ZeroTolerance good stuff

i have been looking at these amps my self. im instrested in trying one mainly because chuck used one for most of his years.

Let us know how it goes and what guitar you use to play through it (pick ups n shit)

cheers
:thu:

I definetly will. Right now I just have a Jackson DXMG which has the crappy EMG-Hz pickups in it. I'm looking at replacing them with the new active Mustaine pickups that came out a little while back. But yeah, I'm stoked to get it and hopefully it won't disappoint. I also noticed that a lot of the older 8100s are starting to have problems that seem unfixable with the volume/gain cutting in and out.

I talked to an amp tech about it and he said it could be a multitude of problems. And some have even reported that it's just flat out not fixable, which sucks. However, I have seen zero reports of this for the VS-100, so hopefully it should last a while. Although I may take it in at some point just to get a general service for it (clean out the dust, replace the 12ax7, etc).

• Members

Some kids. I can understand the amp not being a holy grail of classic Marshall tone, but people do gig and record with it. It's been featured in some great albums, because of its tight metal chug. Not because it sounds like a swarm of bees or something.

Yet another piece of equipment that gets looked at with a tilted up nose.

• Members

It's a good amp to fuck around with, but don't expect to play gigs with it. You'll soon want something, shall we say, 'better.'

Tone is what you make of it. If I like the tone it gives me, then wouldn't I want to use it? Because snobby guitarists will mock me from the audience? :rolleyes:

And if it doesn't sound as good as I think it will, I'll use it in my bedroom hooked up to a 1x12 ext cab I have sitting around. Either way, I'm happy with the outcome.

• Members

Okay, I've had it for a few days now so I suppose I'll give my official response ;)

This amp pretty much nails the "Symbolic" and "The Sound of Persevearance" tones by Death. It's actually really cool to play those songs on this amp, as it sounds just like the recording. However, there is a slight drawback with the gain. There's just not enough of it! I know, this sounds crazy considering it was good enough for Chuck, but I'll need to invest in a overdrive pedal just to push it just a wee bit more over the top to get the amount of sustain that I need. I may also invest in a EQ. The clean channel is suprisingly very accomdating to pretty much any style, be it blues, jazz, or anything else for that matter.

And now the part of the review that is destined to be quoted. I like this amp better than my Peavey 5150 2x12. Sure, the 5150 beats it in the amount of gain, but the VS actually has a better quality sounding gain. I only cranked the volume to about 5, which was still pretty loud. If I can find a way to boost the overdrive without coloring the tone on the VS, it may as well be my favorite amp so far. Not sure how this will hold up in a gig or in practices, but alone in my garage it sounded great even at pretty high volumes.

• Members

Okay, I've had it for a few days now so I suppose I'll give my official response
;)

This amp pretty much nails the "Symbolic" and "The Sound of Persevearance" tones by Death. It's actually really cool to play those songs on this amp, as it sounds just like the recording. However, there is a slight drawback with the gain. There's just not enough of it! I know, this sounds crazy considering it was good enough for Chuck, but I'll need to invest in a overdrive pedal just to push it just a wee bit more over the top to get the amount of sustain that I need. I may also invest in a EQ. The clean channel is suprisingly very accomdating to pretty much any style, be it blues, jazz, or anything else for that matter.

sounds like ill have to get one ;)

Chuck had a dimarzio x2n pickup(i think the highest output pickup on the market) to when using those amps so that might be why he was happy with the amount of gain.

• Members

The VS100 was also Tommy Victor's amp of choice to record Cleansing by Prong and that has an awesome heavy guitar sound. Maybe one of the best recordings for the sound of metal guitar in the entire 90's.

I wonder how there can't be enough gain. They really do have more than anyone could ever need.

I find the 8100 gets better classic rock tones. A little more "natural" sounding in the midrange. For heavy stuff they're about equal.

• Members

Looking at the schematics - these are very different designs. The VS circuits are simpler and more efficient.

From esperiance - the worst thing about the VS series are the speakers. Put the VS100 through decent speakers and it's a great and versatile amp.

• Members

Looking at the schematics - these are very different designs. The VS circuits are simpler and more efficient.

From esperiance - the worst thing about the VS series are the speakers. Put the VS100 through decent speakers and it's a great and versatile amp.

Indeed. I have a Peavey 4x12 cab hooked up to this thing and it sounds great. I should also have mentioned that my guitar has pretty crappy pickups, a pair of EMG hzs. I do plan on getting a set of actives placed in, whether it be EMG or those new Dave Mustaine ones that were just released.

• Members

Instead of starting a new thread, I may as well ask here.

Like I said, I think the gain could use just a bit of a boost to give me longer sustain. I have a JH-1 Jackhammer distortion pedal by Marshall that I could possibly use. I've heard of this term "boosting" around here but I'm not sure how it works. There's a "clean" boost from what I understand that is supposed to help the gain somehow. Will my pedal work for this and how should I go about trying it?

• Members

I had a VS100. Bought it brand new, and used it for 5 years. It was a fine amp. Not the best thing in the world, but it was decent enough. The gain was nowhere near "crushing" and absolutely needed an SD1 or something in front of it. Reliability was not an issue at all.

• Members

I'm inspired now to get a Maxon OD808 and try that in front of my 8100. It's a great amp for the price and I really did enjoy it, but as ZeroTolerance said it just needs a little bit more gain, even when I had the gain at 10 it just wasn't the same as when I run my JSX with the gain at 6. With my Ibanez RG7321 that amp sounded unbelieveable.

• Members

get a SD-1 or a TS-7 / TS-9 to go with your VS100 and it will bring the gain to anywhere you need it. Without really altering the tone.

You don't suppose the distortion pedal I have would work for that? It does have an OD and Dist. switch on it... as seen here:

dispenser.aspx?ObjectName=DSCN2774.jpg

It's the other option under "Mode". All you can see is "Dist" on that picture, but on the other side is OD which is probably similiar to that of an SD-1.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Instead of starting a new thread, I may as well ask here.

Like I said, I think the gain could use just a bit of a boost to give me longer sustain. I have a JH-1 Jackhammer distortion pedal by Marshall that I could possibly use. I've heard of this term "boosting" around here but I'm not sure how it works. There's a "clean" boost from what I understand that is supposed to help the gain somehow. Will my pedal work for this and how should I go about trying it?

Try placing the Jack hammer in front of the amp and setting the gain and volume to taste. Depending on how you set it it should add a little more dirt to the amp. I do this with a 808 clone, I also use a Bad Monkey in the loop as a volume boost with the level at noon and the gain at zero. A EQ in the loop should help also in shaping the tone of the distortion and a higher output pickups might get you the sound that you want out of it. I hope this helps.

Have fun with the amp!

• 11 years later...
  • Members

Hey zero tolerance I'm am owner and avid player I'm in a band called Napalmbats anyways, you are 100% right this amp nails symbolic identical to the recording and the secret to the gain issue is fuck an overdrive fuck an eq. Get the boss metal zone buyit new so you know no one has tweeted with it and changed parts on ya that's what you will find in the used metal zone market no 2 uses ones sound alike and yes I know every one is going to talk trash about the metal zone, sqrew them they are already going to talk trash about your vs100rh amp so what's the difference the metal zone in this case acctully kicks up the gain a shit load and it don't mess with the tone mine is dialed in so you can't tell the difference between my od2 channel and the pedal except the pedal really kicks it out, trust me bro she will scream like a champ. Everyone else is just jelious cause they paid 2 grand for an amp that the father of death metal didn't use.

Szin Napalm Napalmbats