GigMan About to SCALE DOWN from GIANT S90ES - News at 11...

GigMan

• Members

Ok - here's the deal, cats & kittens: :p

I wound up buying a new Yamaha MoX8 today (had the day off from work :thu:) and as well as a brand spankin' new Korg M3 - - Alto Music, Middletown, NY - - props to Chris in Keyboards there... best place around & best guy to deal with by far. I have 3 Guitar Wankers and 2 Sam SMASH stores all within about 50 min. of my house, yet I go 1.5 hrs. up to Alto Music to do my keyboard shopping.

For the MoX8, I got a nice new, lightweight slim Gator GK-88 Slim case. For the M3, I'm using the Gator GK61 semi-rigid case I already had been using for the Triton Le.

I wound up getting $900 trade-in value for the 3.5 yr old S90ES plus $125 for the Gator hard shell case - case cost me over $300 6 mos. ago (I only bought it 'cause the wheel on 1st case broke, when trying to lug the mammoth S90ES down a set of stone stairs coming out of a banquet hall), but hey - - it was convenient, I was already at the store & it was One Stop Shopping - no Craig's List or Fleabay involved, which I wouldn't have time for anyway :thu: Also got $175 for the 10 yr. old Triton Le, which was pretty beat up, actually cracked at the end piece - so I was happy to get it - - don't think I'd get much more than $200 - $250 on the open market, considering how banged up it is...

Also got 100 bucks for an SKB plastic roto mold 76 key case I had sitting around, not being used - was happy to get it. I had bought the roto mold case for my brief stint w/a Roland Fantom G7 - had returned the Fantom G7, 'cause the sounds did not cut thru a live band mix well at all - - but I'd never returned the case... that kind of case is very plasticky - I wouldn't recommend it unless you need a case that's square, flat and hard to pack other stuff on top of it, like piled up in a truck or whatever.

Actually the MoX8 won't get to me 'til next week - they were out of stock but will ship. I'll have to use my Roland RD300GX for wedding gig this wknd. - - not ideal but coupled w/the new Korg M3, I'll be able to hobble thru... :thu:

Btw - the acoustic PIANO sound in the MoX8 is VERY nice... did not get to try side-by-side w/S90ES & I'm sure the 90ES is the better one but this is really close and will do very nicely on live gigs, I'm sure I'll have no problem w/it at all. :cool:

Anyway, all in all, a very good day - have to go now, head about to explode (at the prospect of having to learn two brand new 'boards...) :eek::lol:

• Members

Congratulations on the new boards!

Thx - I'm looking forward to the "new era" - of my musical life, on stage (w/new sounds, hardware, technologies, etc...). :thu: Gig Man is now "New Rig Man" - :lol:

- - am NOT looking forward to new learning curves - but w/these two 'boards (MoX8 & M3), at least I'm already kind of familiar w/each manufacturer's paradigms & ways of doing things - Yamaha & Korg. :cool:

I did check out the Korg Kronos while trying out the M3 - very nice but I decided it's just a bit more than I need right now... Screen is absolutely beautiful though - almost worth the xtra money (over cost of an M3) for that alone, to able to see it all lit up on a dark stage - - - would be verrrrry nice. :thu:

• Members

Congrats to the max. Good overall rig and you already changed your sig! I am surprised that you let the TLE go after all the fussing and fuming about keeping it but if trading it helped you get your new rig then it served it's purpose.

Now let's talk about upgrading your Motion Sound KP-200s... wait, someone's at my front door... jeez, IT'S YOUR WIFE...:eek: SHE'S ARMED TO THE TEETH !!! Feet don't fail me now....

• Members

I am surprised that you let the TLE go after all the fussing and fuming about keeping it

The M3 should be able to pretty much duplicate its sounds. Though it might have been nice to have them both together for a day, to have the TLE there just as a reference for finding/creating new patches that filled the roles of the old. (Or maybe he did that while at the store!)

For recreating some Triton sounds on the M3, the first download on this page might help:

http://www.korgforums.com/support/m3.html

• Members

Now let's talk about upgrading your Motion Sound KP-200s... wait, someone's at my front door... jeez, IT'S YOUR WIFE...
:eek:
SHE'S ARMED TO THE TEETH !!! Feet don't fail me now....

Ha - that's frighteningly funny, as she was not happy to learn I bought two at once - what w/her planning a big ole' family vacation for us out to CA this year... but hey, when the time is right, it's right.

I'll have to wait on the kybd. amp upgrade to the Motion Sound KP500SN for a while though: most of my gigs these days I either am using in ear monitoring w/the Hearback system for the wedding band - or I am going straight into my mixer, then out to my QSC K10's or K12's - either for kybd. monitors or PA monitors & mains. - - so there' no true pressing need for a kybd. amp upgrade. I'm thinking next spring... :cool:

Anyway, this is too much typing & not enough playing - on my new Korg M3... so caio for now. ;)

• Members

The M3 should be able to pretty much duplicate its sounds. Though it might have been nice to have them both together for a day, to have the TLE there just as a reference for finding/creating new patches that filled the roles of the old. (Or maybe he did that while at the store!)

For recreating some Triton sounds on the M3, the first download on this page might help:

http://www.korgforums.com/support/m3.html

EXCELLENT - thx so much for that, is exactly what I will be looking for, how to find similar (or "converted") sounds from the TLE for use in the M3... much appreciated. :thu:

• Members

I REALLY liked the
Korg Kronos,
to be honest - the display is INCREDIBLE & certainly has powerful workstation features and choice sounds... but too rich for my blood, money-wise at this time. Plus I think some of the
Kronos
sounds are actually in the
M3
- yes??

Sort of. The M3's EDS engine is derived from the OASYS' HD-1, which survives in the Kronos. EDS retains a good number of HD-1 programs, and many of the samples. The difference is that the samples in the M3 are compressed and of nominally lower quality than the uncompressed samples in the OASYS/Kronos. (The M3 still sounds pretty darn good, though.)

And I believe that each HD-1 oscillator can address up to 8 multi-samples, while EDS is limited to 4. But the programming, modulation, and filtering options are otherwise the same.

Looking over the Kronos' preset list, I see a lot of familiar names. So a good number of the Kronos' sample-based sounds are on the M3 as well, just in compressed form.

Archived