So Is Ableton Live REALLY DJ Software? Or Just a DAW Variation?

Anderton

• Members

When you look at something like Traktor or Torq, they obviously use a very different model that's based more on conventional DJing, whereas Ableton Live applies DJ thinking to more of a DAW concept...yet I sure see a lot of DJs using Live, or transitioning over to it.

Would you use Live or are you more into something like Traktor or Torq?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Traktor is really coming on strong for DJ software, no doubt about that. I've also heard that Avid is making a concerted effort to forge alliances with controller manufacturers to use their Torq software now that it's up to 2.0...should be interesting to watch the two companies battle it out.

• Members

Traktor is really coming on strong for DJ software, no doubt about that. I've also heard that Avid is making a concerted effort to forge alliances with controller manufacturers to use their Torq software now that it's up to 2.0...should be interesting to watch the two companies battle it out.

The really nice thing about Traktor Kontrol is 4 deck mode which lends itself well to the "slice and dice" style employed by most club DJs doing current tracks.

• Members

I run both Traktor (pro) and Live (Ver 6) and they are completely different animals, yet both are more than suitable for Djing (even though Live is a DAW first).

Craig, look at it this way - if you play other people's music (full songs), Traktor is much easier to mix and control instantly.

And if you want to construct your own music (in a live setting) using loops and adding fill instruments on multiple tracks, Live is much better. Then again I have used Live to construct perfect mixes using other people's music, just that you have to fiddle with it much more and have to plan way ahead.

Right now for DJ software, the only two players are Traktor & Serrato. Traktor has the advantage of using non NI hardware for I/O, where Rane's program doesn't have that level of flexibility. Seems like scratch guys (and hip hop) are more likely to use Serrato, club jocks playing house, techno or trance prefer Traktor...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

DAW variation. Live is a great addition to other software as it plays a very good middle ground but it isn't as good as Logic or Traktor for what they do IMO.

DJ's looking to get more into production or performance with the addition of their laptops should go for Serato, Traktor, or Torq first, then get Live and perhaps move to a more serious DAW like Logic, Sonar, or Cubase if you want more in production.

I did the opposite as I was going for production to DJing. (Digital Performer,Logic) - Live - Traktor.

Archived