Rant: Sonar X1 + M-Audio Axiom = fail

• Members

:(

So yeah, I'm getting my desktop DAW together for a while, and all keyboards are packed away in storage. Good planning on my part, no? Anywho, I buzz on down to Geetar Centre for some Instant Gratification ™ AKA a new controller.

I poke at the selection and I'm thinking, "OK, this is going to be my third attempt at finding a controller I like. Don't mess this up." I settle on an M-AUDIO Axiom, because:

A) It seems to be built like a tank.

B) The keys don't feel nearly as cheap as the others.

C) 61 keys, yo!

D) It's not an Edirol (stubby clunky keys), or a Novation (impenetrable mapping software), my previous choices.

E) Gus Lozada. :thu::wave:

I bring it home and hook it up. No problems. Now, how do I get these control working in Sonar...?

Hm. There's no mapping available in Sonar for this thing. Hit the web... Anyone have a preset map for the Axiom? Nope. Oh, look at all the horror stories... "have to set up every control by hand" is a common theme. I buzz over to the Avid site and look for info on how to use it with Sonar.... None. Nada. Zip.

So I dig into how Sonar does it's control mapping and I'm confronted with some seriously detailed and seriously obtuse information. Many words devoted to assign this, assign that, mode this, mode that, NRPN's, etc.... brain overload.

But, look here: "Do you have an A-PRO series controller? Just plug it in and it'll work."

Well, {censored}. :cry:

Clearly I should have done some homework first before letting my GAS drive me to GC. I've got no inclination to spend days getting this thing setup in Sonar, so back in the box it goes and back to GC.

Sigh. :(

I blame both Cakewalk and Avid for this. Cakewalk's controller mapping mechanics is far from easy to understand or use. The Axiom is clearly geared towards Pro Tools, and even seems to provide some setups for Cubase and Live, but Sonar is persona non grata. Tsk, tsk.

tl;dr: Don't get an Axiom if you use Sonar and want it to "just work".

The Axiom is clearly geared towards Pro Tools, and even seems to provide some setups for Cubase and Live, but Sonar is persona non grata. Tsk, tsk.

tl;dr: Don't get an Axiom if you use Sonar and want it to "just work".

... or in other words: RTFM :lol:

No, really, sorry, Pup. I am not sure why we do not include SONAR in the DAW profiles. IT CAN BE PROGRAMMED, THOUGH. But with a lot of effort and then, in the end you do not use the AXIOM's full set of features.

(P.S. Next time, ask the mexican first!!! )

• Members

Mr. Puppy - you need to venture into the outside world more! My Pro Review of the Axiom had an extensive discussion about the Sonar issue. There are some people who were about to buy the unit but didn't after reading the review. OTOH there were people who weren't going to buy the Axiom, but did after reading the review :)

IIRC there was some way to get the Axiom to work with Sonar that wasn't too difficult. If I get a chance to set it up, I'll see if I have any recommendations.

• Members

Thanks, but I've already returned the Axiom and now I have an Roland A-800Pro on its way. That's about as plug-n-play as it gets with Sonar, I think.

It's my own fault, this is what I get for letting GAS drive me to impulse purchasing.

Derp. :lol:

Also, Gus, TFM wouldn't have done me much good unless they had one tethered to the unit on the sales floor. The sales weenie probably didn't know, either, and I DID mention to him several times that I was a Sonar user.

Anyway, I'll let y'all know how I get along with the A-800PRO when it arrives.

• Members

You'll like the A-800 Pro, it's pretty slick...I had one here for a couple months while doing the "Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop" videos. IIRC correctly it has dual MIDI outs that you can assign to different functions, don't let that trip you up.

To anyone who DOES want to use Axiom with Sonar, I think what I did was use it as an ACT controller.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I read this thread with dismay because I really don't like those Roland keybeds either.

But I got a deal on a new Oxygen61 Gen3 that I couldn't pass up.

maudiooxygen61blue.jpg

so...

challenge-150x150.jpg

I read this whole thread (M-Audio Axiom 49 MIDI Keyboard/Control Surface Pro Review), wherein Dr. Anderton says "ACT works with anything", but didn't tell me exactly how to do it. But I like this controller much better than the Roland one, (especially for the money), so I stubbornly dove into the virtual innards for two or three hours. And I've got it all mapped into a preset now, except the 9th slider, which seems destined to be forever treated as a vestigial noodly apendage by SONAR. Maybe it'll map to VB3 if I ever get that.

And even though I now have the transport controls mapped to the controller, I STILL habitually reach for the qwerty shortcuts.

:facepalm:

• Members

Wow I didn't realize that Roland makes controllers (derp). I guess it is not a surprise that their controller are plug-and-play with Sonar though.

You guys don't like the Novation controllers? Are the keys weird for you or something? I have an old X-station that is pretty nice but is small and one of the Zero SLmkII's that is really nice for the price.

• Members

I like the looks, feel, layout and quality of the Novation Impulse, but it didn't go home with me because it was $400 and the Oxy was on sale for $130. For $270, I can find a few hours to wrangle midi maps. And I really do like the keybed. For the price point, it's very nice.

Archived