Same price, would you chose a SH Vibrochamp or SF Bronco?

Pig Vomit

• Members

Personaly I like the vibro champ but their both probably the same price range. I've seen VC's go for a grand! Its kinda like tweed or blackface? Preference really. If you like tweed get the bronco, blackface (silver actually) get the champ

• Members

I just bought a silverface Vibro Champ last week for $300. While I was researching these amps online, I read about the Bronco and got the impression that it's the same amp. From what I read, Fender just changed the name to offer it as a set with a matching guitar. But I'm not an expert on this, and someone else might have more info. I love the Vibro Champ so far, but want to do some mods to get a bit more clean headroom out of it.

• Members

I just bought a silverface Vibro Champ last week for $300. While I was researching these amps online, I read about the Bronco and got the impression that it's the same amp. From what I read, Fender just changed the name to offer it as a set with a matching guitar. But I'm not an expert on this, and someone else might have more info. I love the Vibro Champ so far, but want to do some mods to get a bit more clean headroom out of it.

Correct. The SF Bronco is the same as a Silverface Vibrochamp that was rebadged and package with the Bronco student guitars.

1968_fender_bronco_amplifier_b1.jpg

As to clean headroom. What do you want? It's a practice amp, and its 6 watt rating it actually peak, it's more like 2-3 watts RMS. But...

Make sure you filter caps have been replaced, if they never have they'll need to be, and you'll get a little more headroom and tighter bass in return.

Drop an efficient ceramic speaker in there (the stock alnico was never a great speaker). The WeberVST

You'll be tempted to drop a larger rectifier tube or power tube in there. The power transformer will handle a 5V4 recto and a 6L6GC, but the small output transformer will prevent you from getting much more output from it. I don't recommend it. Though the 5V4 will cut some of the sag.

The fact is, with all of these mods, the difference is slight. If you are 99% there already and just need a tiny push to get over the top volume-wose, one or more of these should help. But no one is ever 99% of the way there. I'll make the assumption are you are wanting Princeton Reverb output from a Champ, because that seems to be the way it always goes, but it ain't gonna happen.

• Members

Correct. The SF Bronco is the same as a

Though the 5V4 will cut some of the sag.

Sorry, but both of the amps are true class A, not marketing class A, so neither one of them will sag. :thu:

I think there's a page on aiken amplification or amptone on this.

• Members

Sorry, but both of the amps are true class A, not marketing class A, so neither one of them will sag.
:thu:

I think there's a page on aiken amplification or amptone on this.

Champs sag, Champs are famous for a nice bluesy sag. Being Class A and Single-Ended does nothing to negate the fact that they are tube rectified. When you slam that amp with a strong signal, and the highly-inefficient 5Y3 can't keep up with the power demand, and there will be a momentary power drop before the 5Y3 ramps up to where it needs to be. That's sag. A 5V4 will tighten up the sag some and offer higher plate voltages at all times and still keep current draw safe for the power transformer and voltages safe for the 6V6GT.

• Members

Champs sag, Champs are famous for a nice bluesy sag. Being Class A and Single-Ended does nothing to negate the fact that they are tube rectified. When you slam that amp with a strong signal, and the highly-inefficient 5Y3 can't keep up with the power demand, and there will be a momentary power drop before the 5Y3 ramps up to where it needs to be. That's sag. A 5V4 will tighten up the sag some and offer higher plate voltages at all times and still keep current draw safe for the power transformer and voltages safe for the 6V6GT.

Actually, believe it or not, that's impossible. You see, a tube in class A operation will always be drawing 100% power at all times, whether or not there is a "strong signal" present or it's at idle. There is literally no way to get power supply sag with a class A power stage.

Please stop spreading false information. :wave:

Archived