Why would my amp blow a HT Fuse???

Norton666

• Members

This weekend, 2 minutes or so into soundcheck, my Superlead went dead. I checked it out and it was the HT Fuse, which im assuming means high temp fuse. Correct? Why would this fuse have blown? Is it something I should have checked out, or just replace the fuse and keep a rollin?

• Members

Sometimes it's just a simple, one-time arc in one of the power tubes.

Replace the fuse (with the correct rating, of course) and see what happens.

If your power tubes are very new or very old this could be the culprit.

If it blows again it's time to take it to an Amp Tech. If you keep replacing the the fuse too often you'll fry either yourself or whichever part is acting up, which will cost even more at the Amp Tech's.

It could also be the Rectifier tube - try replacing it.

• Members

The tubes are probably a year or so old. They are Groove Tubes 6550s. I replaced the fuse today and the amp seemed to work ok. High Tension makes more sense than High Temp. Thanks for the correction. The Ohms setting was correct, and it is a Marshall, so it has a solid state rectifier I believe.

• Members

The tubes are probably a year or so old. They are Groove Tubes 6550s. I replaced the fuse today and the amp seemed to work ok. High Tension makes more sense than High Temp. Thanks for the correction. The Ohms setting was correct, and it is a Marshall, so it has a solid state rectifier I believe.

If you've been playing it regularly at moderately loud volumes (is there any other way to play a super lead? ;)), the power tubes are probably due for a change.

• Members

Can't a power surge cause that?

Thats what apparently took out my Vox's HT Fuse...

That was my first thought when it happened. We were playing a club that the entire stage and PA(which was only a powered mixer) was being ran off of one extension cord. It could be I have never paid attention before, but the amp gets REALLY hot. The vent on the top of the amp will damn near burn ya if ya touch right after you been jammin on it. Is that normal?

Archived