How does a Marshall Super P.A. sound as a guitar amp?

skunky_funk

• Members

there are far better choices for a guitar amp than either of those amps. it doesn't really matter if j mascis uses one because most of his tone comes from his huge array of pedals anyway, and the man would sound {censored}ing awesome using a Smokey amp plugged into a toaster oven.

• Members

there are far better choices for a guitar amp than either of those amps. it doesn't really matter if j mascis uses one because most of his tone comes from his huge array of pedals anyway, and the man would sound {censored}ing awesome using a Smokey amp plugged into a toaster oven.

True that, I was just saying..

• Members

a few components and some intelligent rewiring. if you know how to do it, you can probably make something cool out of it. but if you're paying to have someone else do it, it's not worth it. it's not just moving a wire over or something.

• Members

i've heard one of J Mascis' Super P.A. 100W in person and we both agreed they are quieter than his superlead 100's. They were supposedly stock but quite a few parts had been replaced over the years, including the output tranny I believe. Above poster was correct - we blasted what else? - a BigMuff- it sounded like a Marshall should, I wouldn't say cleaner but a more focused tone. I believe the volume difference was more percieved volume and may not be correct, I had not heard any of his amps fully dimed. He got a deal on at least two of them and at one point they were his favorite amps. I haven't talked to him in a while and haven't seen the Super P.A.'s on tour w/ him since the mid 90's. I believe he even had a Purple one that was his favorite. Quite a few of his Marshalls were water/smoke damaged when his house caught on fire.

Archived