Mg412 speaker info??

theAntihero

• Members

So i was browsing a pawn shop and came across a Marshall MG412 for 99 bucks and decided to take it home. Its actually decent sounding, not the best ive ever heard but still usable, and paired with my Crate gt500h ive got a 50 watt all tube half stack for a grand total of $230. You really cant beat that.

Anyway anyone got some specs on these speakers? I pulled off the back and was suprised to see possibly the smallest magnets ive ever seen on a guitar speaker, seriously i think that all 4 are smaller than the magnet on my Swamp Thang.

Thanks in advance

• Members

tlbonehead:

Funny that you mentioned small magnet Jensen's.

I picked up a 1956 Jensen 10V11 a few weeks back.

Sounds great in a 1 x 10 cab & a tube amp.

Steve

The cool thing is that they aren't quite as efficient as the larger magnet speakers so you can push your amp a little harder w/o getting insanely loud.

• Members

Actually with my low wattage tube amp, it does get fairly loud.

It also has a strange looking magnet structure?

I THINK it's an Alnico magnet, but I'm not sure?

It does not have the horse-shoe magnet structure, that many old Alnico speakers have.

The magnet structure is a 3 inch dome, with a smaller 1 inch dome on top.

Honest-to-God, it looks like the dome-section of the starship Enterprise.

Maybe I misread that manufacture date wrong?

That it's 2256.....not 1956.

Also the "Made on Mars" printed on the frame, has gotten me suspicious?

Steve :freak:

• Members

Actually with my low wattage tube amp, it does get fairly loud.

It also has a strange looking magnet structure?

I THINK it's an Alnico magnet, but I'm not sure?

It does not have the horse-shoe magnet structure, that many old Alnico speakers have.

The magnet structure is a 3 inch dome, with a smaller 1 inch dome on top.

Honest-to-God, it looks like the dome-section of the starship Enterprise.

Maybe I misread that manufacture date wrong?

That it's 2256.....not 1956.

Also the "Made on Mars" printed on the frame, has gotten me suspicious?

Steve
:freak:

You sure it isn't a new neo-mag model?

• Members

This Jensen is so old, it doesn't have terminals, it has solder points.

It has a 4 ohm rating, and is good for 15-20 watts max.

It came in the original Jensen box....which looks older than the 10 commandments.

Steve

• Members

they're craaaap

They're not quite craaaaap,they're one level above. Ive heard worse, and i ve definatly heard better.

they're Celestion G12-65MG's.

Wouldnt that mean that theyre rated at 65 watts each? The cab is rated at 120 so id guess that each speaker is good for 30 watts.

like the low end Crate cabs far better. They are OSB instead of particle board and the small magnet speakers sound pretty good. Kind of like some of the old small magnet Jensens.

I always found them be shrill(the Crate cabs), the MG at least can chug. To each his own..

The cool thing is that they aren't quite as efficient as the larger magnet speakers so you can push your amp a little harder w/o getting insanely loud.

Very good point, the amp im using it with, a EL84 Crate GT500h, id like to be able to turn up a bit more and im able to do it with this one. The only sucky thing is the Gt500h has a freakin load of treble, i run the treble off and usually have to turn down the tone control on my guitar as well

• Members

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Celestion-12-Guitar-amp-cabinet-Speaker-30-watts-nu_W0QQitemZ110125946838QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

e462_1.JPG

tinnny poopy magnets!! heard them before sound like turds nothing but highhhhhhhssssssssss when u walk in front of ittt you pretty much cut the sound offf

I pulled the back off and yes these are the ones that are in it. Dear god that magnet is small, i think my guitar pickups have bigger magnets:freak:

The cab doesnt have much hiss at all, maybe it was the amp that was playing thru it.

Archived