SOMEBODY EDUCATE ME ON THE MARSHALL 3203 ARTIST HEAD.

MR MARCUS

• Members

I've never heard of this amp until now and I can't find any reviews. Has anybody ever played or owned one? Thanks.

I'm familiar with the 3203 and they are killer. Erik Rutan from Hate Eternal used to play them exclusively for a long time and recorded the 1st and 2nd Hate Eternal albums with them using an SD-1 in the front as a boost and later started using the Roccaforte Bastard pedal after I turned him on to them. I also hooked Erik up with Trace from VooDoo Amps and he did some minir mods on his amps while on tour by replacing the Transformers with 50 watt OEI's I berleve and also tweaked the low ed a bit. Even before the mods the amp sounded killer and for really kickass metal tones I would definitely suggest hittng the front with a boost.

Derek:cool:

• Members

There are plenty of reviews in the HC main page user reviews, under "3203 Artist" and "Artist 3203". Also check out the 4203 (combo version) for a modification to the Normal channel which I did to mine and helped it out a lot. Stopped it from distorting so easily. I like the amp but the Boost channels low end is pretty loose & flabby. I tend to always have a TS9 or Bad Monkey running first to tighten it up. But if you are using low output hums or single coils pickups it could be different, as I use high output humbuckers. I'm using a pair of THD Yellowjackets in mine now and it brings the amp down to 12 watts so i can get the Master volume up higher. With EL34's the amp gets loud real fast. Of course the trade off with the THD/EL84's is that the amp sounds a bit thinner due to the tubes.

• Members

I had one a while back, liked it alot it is infact solidstate in the pre-amp and tube in the power section, don't let this bother you if you like it though as it really is a great amp which can be had at a really great price.

Archived