Accidentally ran my amp without a speaker for 2 minutes, resulting in a noisier amp..

channel_zero

• Members

now i hear a very distressing wirring hiss when i turn the volume up :(.

it won't go away unless i turn off the guitar's volume knob.

it was a really quiet amp about 30 minutes prior to this incident, working great. then i turned it off and had to relocate.

(and no it wasn't a problem of location, i double checked when i got home)

after relocating, i powered up the amp to "warm up the tubes" without realizing that the speaker wasn't pluged in. then i noticed it and paniced: my suspicions were right, i think i might have damaged something. something slightly smokey reached my nose when i leaned in.

so i know i've damaged something.

could you friednly folks please tell me what i've damaged??

output transistor/transformer, preamp tube, powertube, all the tubes, my entire amp circuitry (pray to god no), what??!?!Efdsjkhl;vxc,.

i know this has probably been discussed before, but i'm having trouble utilizing the search function for an answer.

thanks.

ps. i need my amp back in functioning condition by Saturday, so this is sort of an emergency!

• Members

Unless he had the volume and gain up, which would still send enough signal to the output transformer.

What kind of amp is it?

I'm not so sure about that, dude. I mean, most standbys ground the signal before it even gets to the input gain stage.

• Members

This past Friday I set up my Marshall DSL 100 rig... powered it up, left it on standby... and went off to the bathroom, washed my hands, got a drink, chatted with some people in the crowd......

Then I got back up the stage about 10 minutes later, plugged in my guitar and flipped the standby switch. I hit a few chords on the guitar and no sound.

I knew I was getting signal cause my effects rack signal indicator was showing good levels.... then I realized I forgot to plug the speaker in!!!

I was like, "OH {censored}!!!" I immediately turned the amp off, plugged in the speaker, powered it back up......

And it was fine. It worked fine the whole night, and the next night. So I don't think I did any damage to it.

That was a close call for sure!

• Members

i don't know any techs.

and i was sending quite a bit of signal through... i was strumming with guitar vol full, and preamp and master volume up pretty high, and i'd turned on standby. i was actually strumming and checking my pedal board for dead connections quite a bit until i realized it was my speaker unplugged.

so i must have been sending quite a bit of signal to the amp with no load....

...is it the output transformer that's been damaged then?

the amp is a Sovtek Mig 60

This past Friday I set up my Marshall DSL 100 rig... powered it up, left it on standby... and went off to the bathroom, washed my hands, got a drink, chatted with some people in the crowd......

Then I got back up the stage about 10 minutes later, plugged in my guitar and flipped the standby switch. I hit a few chords on the guitar and no sound.

I knew I was getting signal cause my effects rack signal indicator was showing good levels.... then I realized I forgot to plug the speaker in!!!

I was like, "OH {censored}!!!" I immediately turned the amp off, plugged in the speaker, powered it back up......

And it was fine. It worked fine the whole night, and the next night. So I don't think I did any damage to it.

That was a close call for sure!

how much were you strumming your guitar, thus creating lots of amplification, while your amp was unplugged?

i'm really concerned, because it's been atleast 24 hours, and the buzzing is still there....

any idea what's been damaged? i'd like to replace/repair it myself if i could.

• Members

how much were you strumming your guitar, thus creating lots of amplification, while your amp was unplugged?

i'm really concerned, because it's been atleast 24 hours, and the buzzing is still there....

any idea what's been damaged? i'd like to replace/repair it myself if i could.

I strummed an A chord 3 or 4 times. And the volume was on 3.

I don't know how close I came to causing damage... or I may have done some damage that will show up later on.

I know very little about what may have happened to your amp. You may have overheated your output transformer or maybe just damaged some of the power tubes.

Like I said... I don't know squat.

You'll just have to take it in and get it fixed.

• Members

Yeah this is the argument some make for wanting to go with and stay with Solid State amps. Of course that is why they have spent so muc h time and money making SS circuitry mimick tube sounds, because of the deadfish sounda lot of SS amps give. I guess its the question of whether or not you want good tone or ease of use and simplicity. I prefer tone, I spent nearly a decade screwing around with SolidState which is why when I built my system I was ddetermined to do so around a Tube amplifier. I hope everything is alright I think I may let it serve as a warning to me to keep buying 2x12 combos and setting them up on a 2x12 cabinet and in turn plug in a 4x12! That way I have the equivalent of a full stack, just broke up into more components!:wave: Hey, does anyone know how to code the jammin smiley?

• Members

thanks i aprreicate the advice. hopefully i won't have to go in and get it fixed, as i'm a broke student living paycheck to paycheck at the moment. i've heard amp tech services are very steep in costs.

if i can just find out exactly what's most likely screwed up, i could go find the part and replace it. i'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, those 3rd degree burns taught me well....

i was hoping that someone who makes amps would see this thread and respond... not that i don't appreciate the insight from others. everyone responding knows way more than i do. i've only owned a tube amp for about 2 weeks.

the damage i did was so easy. i'd be surprised if this is not a common accident.

at the moment i'm almost ready to assume that it's the output transformer that's damaged, based on the advice you're all giving. i'm nearly there, i just want more confirmation from the knowledgeable.

oh, and these are output transformers right?

otwiring.jpg

High_Voltage_Output_Transformer.jpg

• Members

You're {censored}ed. You'll be paying about $2000 to get it fixed to. Output transformers just skyrocketed in demand.

oh man that just made me really depressed.

i'm just going to disregard what you just said.

by the way, i realized i didn't mention this: the amp's not non-functional. just REALLY REALLY REAALLY noisy when i turn up the volume knob on my guitar. i can still hear the guitar, but barely, when i'm playing softly, the subtle cleans are about as loud as the noisy scratching static. and i can't use pedal boost in front of the amp anymore because of this out of control noise:(

• Members

I've done this a few times,accidentally turned on a tube amp with nothing connected, played my guitar, and got no sound. Maybe I just got lucky, or have always had really stout amps, but I've never damaged an amp this way. This was with my old Boogie Road King and my Soldano Decatone.

Archived