MXR Micro Amp.......best boost ever

troublehead

• Members

Got my Micro Amp today and I am extremely happy. Doesn't do a thing to my tone but add saturation and a bit of top end bite. No bass loss, no "wah-like" mid hump, no "tinny" qualities at all. In front of my dirty VHT with the single knob set at high noon it gives me evrything I've been looking for in a boost for a long time. Crank the knob over to about 3 o'clock and its a fire breather. Much less noise than my old ZW-44 and 1000 times better sounding. Here's a list of the boosts/OD's I've been through looking for this thing: (all set up with level full and gain "off" or barely cracked in front of a dirty amp):

Multiple SD-1's

Keeley SD-1

Multiple Bad Monkeys

ZW-44

Boss BD-2

Boss OS-2

Barber LTD Silver

Maxon OD820 Pro

Maxon OD-9

Guyatone OD-2

BBE Boosta Grande

DOD 250 Reissue

• Members

whats the difference between a clean boost and a regular boost?

My take on it is this. A clean boost is just using a signal boost (volume/clean gain) to hit the pre-amp harder and adding liquidy saturation. This would be like using an OD pedal with level full up and the gain/drive at zero. However, you still get some of the pedals tone characteristics........ so its not "clean" in reality.

A regular boost is when you actually use some of the pedals gain to add distortion to the amp.

I may be wrong though:confused:

• Members

Got my Micro Amp today and I am extremely happy. Doesn't do a thing to my tone but add saturation and a bit of top end bite. No bass loss, no "wah-like" mid hump, no "tinny" qualities at all. In front of my dirty VHT with the single knob set at high noon it gives me evrything I've been looking for in a boost for a long time. Crank the knob over to about 3 o'clock and its a fire breather. Much less noise than my old ZW-44 and 1000 times better sounding. Here's a list of the boosts/OD's I've been through looking for this thing: (all set up with level full and gain "off" or barely cracked in front of a dirty amp):

Multiple SD-1's

Keeley SD-1

Multiple Bad Monkeys

ZW-44

Boss BD-2

Boss OS-2

Barber LTD Silver

Maxon OD820 Pro

Maxon OD-9

Guyatone OD-2

BBE Boosta Grande

DOD 250 Reissue

I'm glad you like it, but I'd take my Tube Screamer over it anyday. :p

• Members

Multiple SD-1's

Keeley SD-1

Multiple Bad Monkeys

ZW-44

Boss BD-2

Boss OS-2

Barber LTD Silver

Maxon OD820 Pro

Maxon OD-9

Guyatone OD-2

BBE Boosta Grande

DOD 250 Reissue

Report back in 3 months and I bet you think it sucks as bad as all the other bazillon boosts you list.

You a boost freak????

Multiple Bad Monkeys?? Whas up wit dat?

• Members

I was all about it until I found the left side of jekyll/hyde pedal

The Green side of the J/H is the shizzle!! It has to be one of the most under-rated pedals out there. I've tried a bunch of them myself and it's the one that I always come back to....I haven't found a better one..

• Members

I have a micro amp, I was all about it until I found the left side of jekyll/hyde pedal

I've heard that is a great pedal. Almost pulled the trigger on one many times !

But keep in mind........I always leave the gain/drive "off" and only use the volume on my OD pedals. My amps have plenty gain. I leave the pedal on all the time and its nice not having to turn the bass up and the mids down on my amp when I engage the pedal. Just dial in a tone I like and then turn on the Micro Amp:thu: Maybe just a minor tweak of my amp's presence knob and I'm good to go.

• Members

You like the Micro-Amp for the same reason i didn't like it. It doesn't tighten the low end and add that bite/attack to the sound that an overdrive does... which is a big reason why i prefer overdrives to just plain clean boosts. I also like that bit of mid spike that an OD adds to the sound.

You can basically get the same results with a EQ pedal up front, actually. Fish & Chips EQ pedal set flat with the level up does pretty much the same thing as the Micro-Amp IMO.

• Members

You like the Micro-Amp for the same reason i didn't like it. It doesn't tighten the low end and add that bite/attack to the sound that an overdrive does... which is a big reason why i prefer overdrives to just plain clean boosts. I also like that bit of mid spike that an OD adds to the sound.

You can basically get the same results with a EQ pedal up front, actually. Fish & Chips EQ pedal set flat with the level up does pretty much the same thing as the Micro-Amp IMO.

All my old OD's were fine with my other amps. My VHT doesn't need the tightening of an OD. I just wanted to add some "wetness" and saturation. I understand what you mean though. I tried the BBE Boosta Grande (another "clean" boost) with my old 6505 and it mushed up too much. The SD-1 type pedals did wonders for it though.

I tried an MXR EQ up front (set as you mentioned) with my VHT and I still prefer the Micro Amp by far.

Archived