I was just experimenting with my MG100DFX into other speakers...

dcooper830

• Members

....i just dont try to make a {censored}ty amp sound good. i'll just accept that it's a {censored}ty amp, and go out and play better ones.

that said, i have a MG250DFX as my practice amp, but i dont try to make it sound any better. why? it's not worth it.

+1

Like putting lipstick on a pig.

• Members

8 ohms will work, although you may lose a little volume.

I have a pair of G10Vs in the cabinets of my '{censored}ty' MG15MSII stack. Made a BIG difference. The MG is slightly modified, s I guess that doesn't count, but I now use those cabs with a whole lot of other amps and they sound great.

Thanks. How was your MG modified?

• Members

Yeah all those cheapy Marshalls sound decent if you just use it with some good speakers. AVTs are the same way, mine sounded real good out of some GT75s. You just have to give them some halfway decent speakers...you know, like plenty of TUBE AMPZ

:wave:

How much of a difference would you say it made?

• Members

I'm wondering if the cabinet construction of the MG100DFX 1x12 combo has something to do with how bad it sounds.

Cause I put an Eminence Swamp Thang in there, which is a decent speaker... and it helped a little.. but still it just sounded harsh and plastic-y at high volume.

But when I plugged the amp into my 2x12 LOPOLINE closed back cabinet with Vintage 30s it sounded MUCH, MUCH better. It had more punch, crispness, and a lot less harshness at high volume.

I wonder if the MG is made out of cheapie plywood or something and that affects the tone in a bad way.

I'm thinking about taking out the chassis and building a box for it and turning it into a head.

• Members

How much of a difference would you say it made?

err...crappy vs. usable and not that bad at all

I basically left it on the clean channel and boosted it to distortion, and IMO for the price AVTs run you could get something better for at least doing that for not much more, but meh, I still liked it.

• Members

I'm wondering if the cabinet construction of the MG100DFX 1x12 combo has something to do with how bad it sounds.

Cause I put an Eminence Swamp Thang in there, which is a decent speaker... and it helped a little.. but still it just sounded harsh and plastic-y at high volume.

But when I plugged the amp into my 2x12 LOPOLINE closed back cabinet with Vintage 30s it sounded MUCH, MUCH better. It had more punch, crispness, and a lot less harshness at high volume.

I wonder if the MG is made out of cheapie plywood or something and that affects the tone in a bad way.

I'm thinking about taking out the chassis and building a box for it and turning it into a head.

I think the MGs cabs are made of particle board except maybe the baffle. Most cabs are made of plywood.

• Members

Speaker swaps make a HUGE difference in tone. It's not surprising that switching to speakers you like better would make a big difference in your tone. I say if you like the tone you get, then that is the best investment you can make.

Don't waste your time trying to convince people on a message board that it sounds great. If you like it, do it. That's what makes you happy.

For the record, I played a Marshall valvestate amp for years and years and years and no one ever knew that I wasn't playing a tube amp. You can get great tone out of anything if you have a good ear to do it. Frank Zappa got some of his sweetest, most famous tones out of an original Pignose suitcase amp. Whatever you enjoy playing is what will give you the best tones.

• Members

I don't think a lot of players realize just how important a good speaker cabinet is. Many times you can swap out cabinets with a lot of amps that are mostly deemed "crappy" only to find that they actually sound pretty decent when they are paired with a different cabinet setup. Most companies make their own "custom" designed speakers that are supposed to work best with their equipment. But, its really just an excuse to make the amp cheaper by not having to put real speakers in it.

• Members

Sorry to bump this thread, but i figured i might try and play around with "frankensteining" my 30 watt Valvestate. I want to put a Celestion G10 Vintage in it.

I noticed that the current speaker, a 30-watt Celestion G10C is rated at 4 ohms, and the amp's output impedance is 4 ohms. The G10 Vintage comes in either 8 or 16 ohms only. Can i put the 8 ohm speaker in my amp? Would it work?

Has anybody ever done this modification to an old Valvestate before?

I have a Vintage 10. It's not a speaker I particularly recommend, although it might well be an improvement over the stock speaker. Eminence make some nice 10" speakers, although there is a celestion Greenback 10 on the way that should be interesting.

• Members

I have a Vintage 10. It's not a speaker I particularly recommend, although it might well be an improvement over the stock speaker. Eminence make some nice 10" speakers, although there is a celestion Greenback 10 on the way that should be interesting.

Thanks for the input. I actually just placed an order for the Celestion a few minutes ago. I presume you're aware that the G10 Vintage is different from the Vintage 10? The G10 is supposedly closer to a Vintage 30 and seeing as how most of my favorite tones come from guys who use Vintage 30s, i decided on one of those.

What's wrong with the Vintage 10 and what amp do you have it in?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I run my zoom g9.2tt into the clean channel of my MG15MSII and get OUTSTANDING results for home practice and recording (the emulated line out into my audio buddy mic preamp into my zoom H4)....

The distortion stomp box models on the zoom g9 are VERY good and the tubes really warm it up.....I also use a vox satchurator and get fantastic results....

little known tip.....I sometimes run my zoom g9.2tt into the CD input of the Marshall using the very nice amp sims on the Zoom G9 with great results....this basically goes right into the Poweramp section (no coloration from the mg's preamp) but you get the FDD on the power amp side.....sort of like a tech21 power engine (lower power) but better sounding...2 1 x 10 closed back cabs......

the MG15MSII is very flexible and for HOME practice, Jamming with CD's (I jam alone with my stereo), and even HOME recording of demo's is really outstanding and used with a quality preamp/fx such as the zoom g9 (my fav vs. pod, boss etc....)makes a great rig

PS: What ohm speakers should you use if you change out the speakers in the Mg15MSII????

Archived