I was just experimenting with my MG100DFX into other speakers...

dcooper830

• Members

So I have this MG100DFX 1x12 combo amp. I got it used for $250... I couldn't pass that up.

Tonight I was A/B-ing it with my DSL 100 into a 2x12 V30 cabinet.

Of course the DSL sounded much crisper, clearer, crunchier, more responsive and deeper.

The MG100DFX sounded like a POD set on one of it's crappy cab model settings in comparison to the DSL. Just kind of muddy and harsh at the same time.

Then I put my Boss GE-7 in the loop of it and got it to sound closer to the DSL 100... but still... not happenin'.

THEN I plugged the MG100DFX speaker out into my 2x12 V30 cab. That was it!!! It then had the crispness, fullness, throaty-ness, and clarity... even when I cranked the {censored} out of it! Seriously. That got it very close to the DSL ... although I don't know if it could still perform like the DSL in a live band setting....

But anyway... this made me realize that probably the biggest weakness of the MG100DFX 1x12 combo is the SPEAKER.

So I have a couple Eminence Swamp Thangs (16 OHM) i'm not using and I installed it in the MG.

My kids are asleep now.... so I couldn't really crank it... but a low volume test sounded good.

I can't wait to crank it up tomorrow and see what it can really do.

• Members

Id like to see an update to this thread.. I need something smaller to take to band practice. Ive always been interested in the mg series.. and it always goes back in forth in my mind everytime im at a guitar store to pick one up.

Dont bother......I am sure theres better.....how about a Randall or somehting like that instead.

MG stands for Marshall Garbage.

• Members

thanks for your opinion. Go stroke your tubes now.

Hey, just warning you......if you like crap, then go ahead, buy one.

Within a month the fan was noisy, took it back, got another, that one did the same....distortion is loose....cleans are ok but thats it.

• Members

Well... the fact that it sounded 100 times better when I plugged it into my V30 cab made me think the stock speaker is the main problem with the amp.

Why am I wasting my time frankenstiening that amp? I guess I'm just always trying to find different sounds and experiment with different stuff. I think it's worth it.

If I can get it to sound a lot better by putting in a different speaker it's definitely worth my while. It would then make a great back-up amp. :thu:

• Members

If they put in a V30 in the first place, then they wouldve added another 200 bucks to the cost of the amp......

Nice to play mad scientist with the gear every once and awhile I guess...

Well at least when he gets a nicer amp he'll have a decent speaker to put into it. :o

• Members

Well at least when he gets a nicer amp he'll have a decent speaker to put into it.
:o

Actually I have some fairly nice amps. I have a Classic 30, a Peavey Valve King 212, a Marshall DSL 401, and 2 DSL 100 heads.

Its just kinda fun seeing if I can get that MG happenin'. :D

• Members

Actually I have some fairly nice amps. I have a Classic 30, a Peavey Valve King 212, a Marshall DSL 401, and 2 DSL 100 heads.

Its just kinda fun seeing if I can get that MG happenin'.
:D

Ohhh... well fuck it, if you just want a low volume SS practice amp to screw around with... why not? :thu:

• Members

Ok... a little update cause I know everyone is on pins and needles waiting to find out about this.... :lol:

I was able to really crank it up this morning.

So I have the Eminence Swamp Thang in the MG100DFX 1x12 combo now. And when I crank it up it sounds much better than the stock speaker. It has more depth, punch, and crispness.

But it still sounds much better when I plug the amp into my 2x12 Vintage 30 cabinet.

• Members

Same for the Valvestates:

The single most expensive component (by far) is the single place they can save the most money, so is the single weakest link, so it the best value upgrade.

• Members

Do you have clips of the MG with the stock speaker and your 2x12 cab?

I'll try to make clips sometime. But it's too late to make one with the stock speaker cause it's not in there anymore.

But I'll make a clip where I go from the Swamp Thang (internal) to the 2x12 V30 cabinet.

I'm really surprised what a dramatic difference the speakers make. It's huge!!

• Members

:thu:
You know, I don't currently have one, but I was thinking along the same lines as you Snell. Funny, you dont list that amp in your sig???? LOL

lol. But I have gear thats not in my sig that I love (my Vox AD100 is awesome).

• Members

Sorry to bump this thread, but i figured i might try and play around with "frankensteining" my 30 watt Valvestate. I want to put a Celestion G10 Vintage in it.

I noticed that the current speaker, a 30-watt Celestion G10C is rated at 4 ohms, and the amp's output impedance is 4 ohms. The G10 Vintage comes in either 8 or 16 ohms only. Can i put the 8 ohm speaker in my amp? Would it work?

Has anybody ever done this modification to an old Valvestate before?

• Members

....i just dont try to make a {censored}ty amp sound good. i'll just accept that it's a {censored}ty amp, and go out and play better ones.

that said, i have a MG250DFX as my practice amp, but i dont try to make it sound any better. why? it's not worth it.

• Members

Normally, i wouldn't even bother. But i just can't afford a new, decent amp. And where i live, there aren't any decent amps anyway. Ebay is not an option for me.

Besides, i see players change tubes, speakers, and whatnot in expensive amps. Surely that can be applied to cheaper amps as well.

• Members

8 ohms will work, although you may lose a little volume.

I have a pair of G10Vs in the cabinets of my '{censored}ty' MG15MSII stack. Made a BIG difference. The MG is slightly modified, s I guess that doesn't count, but I now use those cabs with a whole lot of other amps and they sound great.

Archived