Fender USA strat vs Ibanez pretige model?

em07189

• Members

HI everyone.

i'm interrested in buy a new guitar between the above models.

So what is everyone opinion for these guitars for the following topics.

-What is the most versatile guitar?

-What is the best to metal?

-droped D tuning?

-What is the best neck?

-What is the model that comes with the best pickups?

Thanks.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thats all personal preference. But if you go the Fender route for metal get one with a bucker in the bridge.

Oh and most of Ibanez's stock pickups suck donkey slot.

Not really. Low end Ibanez pups are {censored}, like everyones low end pups.

Prestige and J Custom come with Dimarzios.

...and to the original poster, don't let anybody tell you the Dimarzio IBZs in the Prestige models aren't proper Dimarzios. They're made in the Dimarzio factory in America like all the others and are basically super disortions and steve morse sig models rebranded.

• Members

Ibanez for metal. If you had said Rock, Blues rocks and SOME metal I'd be saying get the Fender. I've had both and the IB isa faster playing guitar. Fender is the better sounding guitar. I do agree with the poster who said if you go with Fender get one with a bridge humbucker. I've had a TEXMEX with a bridge humbucker and it was a pretty rowdy sounding guitar.

• Members

What other metal bands besides Iron Maiden use fender ?

Anyone ?

I've seen some metal played with a strat. I seem to recall watching a video a little while ago where some Scandinavian or European death metal band had a strat, don't remember who but they were fairly prominent. There's also one of the Quebec deathcore acts that use a strat (Beneath the Massacre? Despised Icon? I don't know).

But yeah, strats are certainly not what one would think of as a metal guitar. It's a pretty clear cut choice in this case.

• Members

With a humbucker in the strat you'll have no problem playing metal. You'll also have a much better built, more versatile, classic guitar. Ibanez guitars are built to nowhere near as high a standard as USA Fenders, prestige or not. I've owned both....

Not to mention that the resale value of the Fender is hugely better.

The sound you get (metal or not) comes down to the way you play as much as the guitar. Basswood bodied, floyd rose Ibanez that have 3 piece necks and even more pieces for the body are not the best sounding guitars. Sure you can make them sound good with loads of distortion. Try something else.

• Members

I've seen some metal played with a strat. I seem to recall watching a video a little while ago where some Scandinavian or European death metal band had a strat, don't remember who but they were fairly prominent. There's also one of the Quebec deathcore acts that use a strat (Beneath the Massacre? Despised Icon? I don't know).

But yeah, strats are certainly not what one would think of as a metal guitar. It's a pretty clear cut choice in this case.

despised icon uses a strat though a 5150. good catch

• Members

With a humbucker in the strat you'll have no problem playing metal. You'll also have a much better built, more versatile, classic guitar. Ibanez guitars are built to nowhere near as high a standard as USA Fenders, prestige or not. I've owned both....

The sound you get (metal or not) comes down to the way you play as much as the guitar. Basswood bodied, floyd rose Ibanez that have 3 piece necks and even more pieces for the body are not the best sounding guitars. Sure you can make them sound good with loads of distortion. Try something else.

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

Prestiges have 5 piece necks, which are definitely more stable than the standard fender skunkstripe. This alone tells me you have no idea what you're talking about. Basswood is also a perfectly fine wood, and as far as I know Ibanez doesn't use 5 piece bodies with a veneer over them on their top of line guitars. An HSH with the split 5 wiring is much more versatile than a strat, your comment simply doesn't make any sense there. And BTW, the quality standards on the MIJ Ibanez's are at least as good if not better than fenders

• Members

lol @ all of that. fender's quality control sucks.

oh, and 3 piece neck is not a bad thing. it has walnut pieces to help keep the neck straight. it's a lot more stable than a 1 piece neck.

as for which sounsd "better"... all depends on the pickups...

• Members

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

Prestiges have
piece necks, which are definitely more stable than the standard fender skunkstripe. This alone tells me you have no idea what you're talking about. Basswood is also a perfectly fine wood, and as far as I know Ibanez doesn't use 5 piece bodies with a veneer over them on their top of line guitars. An HSH with the split 5 wiring is much more versatile than a strat, your comment simply doesn't make any sense there. And BTW, the quality standards on the MIJ Ibanez's are at least as good if not better than fenders

My 3120 Prestige does have a 3 piece body. But the neck is made of 3 pieces as far as I can see, not 5 like you mentioned. Well, the headstock is made of 5 strips of wood, but not the neck itself. Anyway, I quite like the electronics on my guitar. The only real gripe I have is that the bridge eventually oxidizes quite badly. I've had the guitar for about 5 years now, and that bit where my hand rests during palm muting is rotting to hell.

• Members

My 3120 Prestige does have a 3 piece body. But the neck is made of 3 pieces as far as I can see, not 5 like you mentioned. Well, the headstock
is
made of 5 strips of wood, but not the neck itself. Anyway, I quite like the electronics on my guitar. The only real gripe I have is that the bridge eventually oxidizes quite badly. I've had the guitar for about 5 years now, and that bit where my hand rests during palm muting is rotting to hell.

All the recent models have the 5 piece maple/walnut, although I've seen bubinga on some older ones too. The cosmo hardware is pretty annoying, Its not as bad as the gold hardware on my friends LP, but its still pretty bad

• Members

lol @ all of that. fender's quality control sucks.

oh, and 3 piece neck is not a bad thing. it has walnut pieces to help keep the neck straight. it's a lot more stable than a 1 piece neck.

as for which sounsd "better"... all depends on the pickups...

Don't be ignorant. I've not played a single bad American Standard Strat or Tele, ever, Fender is reknowned for their excellent quality control, at least these days and for the last 10/15 years. Even most new Squiers I've played have been very impressive, certainly the Mexican guitars I've played over the last few years have all been great. I think one thing you can count on is that a Fender pretty much always will be a rock.

I've played plenty of lifeless, sterile and boring sounding Ibanezes over the years. I spose if you want to coat your sound in as much heavy distortion as possible, the guitars inherent 'tone' isn't probably a big factor. And guitars such as Ibanez RGs are aimed at the kind've player who coats everything in a lot of distortion. Take that away, and what do you have? Have you ever heard an Ibanez RG that sings like a Vintage strat, a Gretsch, a good Les Paul, an old Esquire?

And as for 3 piece necks being more 'stable' than a 1 piece neck, how do you arrive at that? It a widely regarded philosophy amongst luthiers than the less composite pieces that make a neck and body, the better. Hence why you don't see Suhr or Baker or Melancon or McInturff guitars made of 5 piece bodies, irrespective or cosmetic reasons.

As for sound depending 'entirely' on the pickups, that's also a huge exaggeration. Yes, the pickups are important in the sound, but no, they're not the only contributing factor to a great sounding guitar.

• Members

HI everyone.

i'm interrested in buy a new guitar between the above models.

So what is everyone opinion for these guitars for the following topics.

-What is the most versatile guitar?

-What is the best to metal?

-droped D tuning?

-What is the best neck?

-What is the model that comes with the best pickups?

Thanks.

Versatility? Both guitars are versatile, depends on pups etc

Best to Metal? Depends a lot on pups and which kind of trem system do you want etc.

Dropped D tuning? If you're buying a floating trem Ibanez and want to be able to change the tuning fast, you want to get a tremol-no because when you tune to drop D, for example, the angle of the trem changes and the other strings go out of tune. Again, there are many different kind of Ibanezes with different non-floating bridge types.

What is the best neck? Depends what you prefer but generally speaking Fender necks are fatter than Ibanez necks. Ibanez has super thin Wizard necks which Fender doesn't have. Ibanez also has thicker necks on their RG series as Ultra necks which are 2mm thicker than the wizards etc. Not to mention the non-RG series necks.

Best pups? There are Ibanez models that come fitted with EMGs, DiMarzios, Ibanez/DiMarzios, Ibanez pups so those all cover lots of ground. When thinking about metal playing and leaning towards Fenders, you might want to check models which have a humbucker in bridge position.

Ibanez Prestiges are amazing guitars as are the high-end Fenders.

For metal, I'd take an Ibanez.:)

• Members

I love how everyone here is under the illusion that you have to subscribe to the Ibanez RG/5150 type of rig in order to play heavy music. In my opinion, raw heavy guitar sound is the antithesis of that kind've over-compressed, dynamic lacking sound that such a set up will give you.

Like I said before, playing heavy music is possible with a telecaster, stratocaster, Gretsch...anything. Look at tracks like Limo Wreck and 4th of July by Soundgarden. Telecasters.

To the original poster, I would strongly advise you get a strat over the RG. But don't listen to me, go and play a few and decide which you prefer. I'm sure you can see why one is the most popular electric guitar ever made and the other isn't. Btw, you see PLENTY of heavy bands playing strats. IIRC both Nile and Cryptopsy used Strats, as did Adam D from Killswitch (with a humbucker in the bridge).

Archived