Those who had problems with the VOX Valvetronix, come in! (Silver-grilled models)

LaLa900

• Members

Alright, here's the deal. I think the VOX AD15VT sounds really cool. The gain is good enough for me, so I probably won't need the XL (high gain) models. I am thinking of gigging with the 50 watt (owner's reply is pending). I plan to buy it used.

Now, one thing that is pulling me back is the reliability issues I've read. Some about how the input jack is weak and can fall in. Another is how it stops working completely. These are complete no-nos for me in a gig situation. One thing's for sure, I try to keep my equipment in good shape and I baby my gear. For those who had problems, do you abuse your gear? For example, chuck it in the back of the van or whatever after a show? Or do you spill alcohol on it? Or you let it out in the cold for a few days?

If it does break down, is it easy to fix? Is it costly?

I just want to hear the reasoning behind some of these issues. Is it natural? Like you take great care of it and it still craps out for no reason? It's a pretty cool amp and I actually like the tone. I prefer the VOX over the Line 6 XT Live stuff. BUT if reliability is poor, then there's no point. No point having a good sounding amp if it doesn't have any sound coming out.

Alright, I'll let you owners chime in now.

• Members

My AD30VT died after about 2 weeks.

Got it fixed under warranty but offloaded it not long after, thought it was a good sounding little amp tho. I hear the 50watter sounds a lot better with the 12" speaker, i guess any amp can have an issue so i wouldnt let this put you off buying one.

Brad

• Members

I don't get people who say these amps break. Unless your {censored}ing throwing them around n' {censored} why the {censored} would the amp break?

If your jack is falling in then tighten the nut newbs. (not talking to anyone in this thread).

• Members

I liked the VOX AD's I tried and do plan to get the VOX AD50VT if possible. They are selling brand new for $385 CAD! The thing is, once I get this amp, I think this would be my only guitar amp. Therefore, I can't risk having an amp crap out on me as I won't have a backup.

• Members

I liked the VOX AD's I tried and do plan to get the VOX AD50VT if possible. They are selling brand new for $385 CAD! The thing is, once I get this amp, I think this would be my only guitar amp. Therefore, I can't risk having an amp crap out on me as I won't have a backup.

How many amps do you have now?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have to agree that any amp that is abused will have reliability issues. When I am looking for gear I check the reviews here before I bid, hit BIN or go looking around town. I find it funny how many Crate reviews I read that claimed they all but fall aprt if you look at them. To read these reviews you woud almost think that. I have owned atleast eight Crate Amplifiers and never had problem one with any of them. I just use that as an example that can be verified by just visiting the review section. Instead I read the reviews to see if there are specific problems or tone issues etc. When I read reviews and and the problems are so random you can't even narrow it down to a system or component...baaaaaaaaaaaah!!!! I just consider that bitching to just to be bitching. If you have heard from more than one or two sources that there is an input jack problem, you could validate that and if you like the amp, simly open it and reiforceit when the problem arises. I have had three solid state CRate amps wheer the input jackstarted "cutting out" on me. I opened them up and found the solder had given way a bit and the jack itself wiggled on the circuit board. Easy fix if you have a solder iron. Both Crate tube amps I have had have been okay concerning the inut jacks. The Stealth was a year old when I got it, and my VC5212 has to be around 6 years, and neither has a problem. That either mean that problem isn't prevailant in Crate's tube amps or I simply have not had a problem yet. If these amps (The Vox AD50VT) just quits all together, try and find out if the problems are consistant. If not, you could deduce that they are no more prone to problems than any other amp.

I just went to read the reviews and it reviewed worse than Crate amps.I didn't read any consistant problems though. More bitching about build quality than anything else

• Members

Mine has this problem were if you turn the volume knob on your guitar down to much, it starts to cut out, but other than that, it's awesome. Awesome effects. But, if your playing metal, get a EQ, i'm buying one in a few weeks. The bass tends to be a littly to flabby for metal. But i've heard the eq fixes that.

But yeah, the amp models are all great, i only use about 3 or 4, if that of them though.

I'm starting to use the flanger and rotary more, really liking the flanger right now though.

(i just bought a dl4 though so i've been messing with that alot)

• Members

Omg, i feel like an idiot, even the guys at guitar center were clueless.

Finally, i've got it fixed, thanks so much man, i've been dealing with this for around 6 months now, and went through 2 amps.

omg i'm so happy.

SO yeah, after finding that out, GO BUY A VALVETRONIX AMP. But like a said, get an eq pedal if you want metal. (ohhh, that rhymed)

• Members
Omg, i feel like an idiot, even the guys at guitar center were clueless.

Finally, i've got it fixed, thanks so much man, i've been dealing with this for around 6 months now, and went through 2 amps.

omg i'm so happy.

SO yeah, after finding that out, GO BUY A VALVETRONIX AMP. But like a said, get an eq pedal if you want metal. (ohhh, that rhymed)

It wasn't broken.:freak: The m,anual explains perfectly how to adjust the noise gate. There have been tons of posts here mentioning that the gate is a tone jkiller in those amps.

• Members

Take care of it and it should last a long time.

Everybody is using the same crappy input jacks, so it's not like buying a different amp would get you away from this problem. Learn to fix your own stuff.

I bought an AD15VT used at GC for 85 bucks the other day. I'm very happy. Mine looks like it has been down the steps a few times. Speaker was bad, replaced it with another I had laying around.

• Members
Take care of it and it should last a long time.

Everybody is using the same crappy input jacks, so it's not like buying a different amp would get you away from this problem. Learn to fix your own stuff.

I bought an AD15VT used at GC for 85 bucks the other day. I'm very happy. Mine looks like it has been down the steps a few times. Speaker was bad, replaced it with another I had laying around.

Have you figured out how to get more channels out of it yet(using a VC-4 foot controller)

• Members

Alright, here's the deal. I think the VOX AD15VT sounds really cool. The gain is good enough for me, so I probably won't need the XL (high gain) models. I am thinking of gigging with the 50 watt (owner's reply is pending). I plan to buy it used.

Now, one thing that is pulling me back is the reliability issues I've read. Some about how the input jack is weak and can fall in. Another is how it stops working completely. These are complete no-nos for me in a gig situation. One thing's for sure, I try to keep my equipment in good shape and I baby my gear. For those who had problems, do you abuse your gig? For example, chuck it in the back of the van or whatever after a show? Or do you spill alcohol on it? Or you let it out in the cold for a few days?

If it does break down, is it easy to fix? Is it costly?

I just want to hear the reasoning behind some of these issues. Is it natural? Like you take great care of it and it still craps out for no reason? It's a pretty cool amp and I actually like the tone. I prefer the VOX over the Line 6 XT Live stuff. BUT if reliability is poor, then there's no point. No point having a good sounding amp if it doesn't have any sound coming out.

Alright, I'll let you owners chime in now.

I did have my jack fall in but i sat on the cable that was still plugged in so it pushed it in. I just dug it out and glued it on. It works perfectly though. no problems with that.

Archived