How much should it cost for a retube?

Timmott

• Members

So how much should it cost? My tech told me the guy that does the amp repairs wants $200 to retube and rebias my amp, does that sound right?We both thought it sounded a little high. How much do you guys usually get charged for retubing your amps?

• Members

Which amp, and are you supplying tubes? If they are doing a complete retube (supplying their own tubes), $200 is still high, but not stupidly so. If you are supplying tubes, tell that guy to go f- himself, and take it to a good tech that'll charge you what's appropriate.

• Members

So how much should it cost? My tech told me the guy that does the amp repairs wants $200 to retube and rebias my amp, does that sound right?We both thought it sounded a little high. How much do you guys usually get charged for retubing your amps?

It depends pretty heavily on how many tubes your amp has.

Wes

• Members

The amp in question is my Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber and I dont have the tubes. But even so it only has 2 6L6's and 5 12AX7's, so the tubes shouldnt be that expensive. I'd like to see how much the guy charges to replace the tubes in a Duotone or Triamp :freak:.

• Members

{censored} - I totally spaced on that. A Mesa won't need a rebias - just order the tubes and pop them in yourself. If you want in converted to adjustable bias, $200 would be about right including tubes and a bias adjustment.

I need coffee....

• Members

Mesa Boogie amps cannot be re-biased! (at least not without modification) They are fixed biased. Contact Doug at Doug's Tubes, tell him that you have a Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber and he will provide you with great tubes that you will be able to swap with no problems.

He will give you tubes with in the tolerance that Mesa designs for, so re-biasing is not needed.

Expect to pay ~$100 for the tubes shipped.

• Members

$100+ for unscrewing the backplate, yanking tubes out, putting tubes in and screwing the backplate back on? You are being scammed, my friend.

But, he _might_ use official Mesa tubes, which are expensive ($15 per pre, $40 per power tube), so it might not be that bad.

If you order from Doug the tubes will probably cost around $100.

• Members

You took it to a shop, shops have overhead so you're not going to get the tubes for the price you could order them on the internet for. You'll expect a warranty on any work he does, that's not free. If he were selling you Groove Tubes 12AX7's at list you could be looking at $100 for 5 12AX7's. Add $40 or so for the 6L6's. Then add a minimum shop rate of an hour and you have $200. I'd say that's about right for a repair shop. I'd assume they'll do more than just pop in the tubes and the amp will get a complete check over, testing, and cleaning.

Jerry

• Members

Mesa Boogie amps cannot be re-biased!
(at least not without modification) They are fixed biased. Contact Doug at
Doug's Tubes
, tell him that you have a Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber and he will provide you with great tubes that you will be able to swap with no problems.

He will give you tubes with in the tolerance that Mesa designs for, so re-biasing is not needed.

Expect to pay ~$100 for the tubes shipped.

+1

mesas are "fixed" bias. just pop in the new tubes. its like changing lightbulbs.

:wave:

• Members

Oh so I just unscrew the back plate, pop the old tubes out and put new ones in? Sweet, I didnt think it was that easy. Hopefully I dont {censored} it up when I do it xD. My tech at the shop said that the guy cleans everything up and whatnot, but I dont really have the extra money to pay for that kind of stuff. Thanks for helping me out guys.

• Members

Mesa Boogie amps cannot be re-biased!
(at least not without modification) They are fixed biased. Contact Doug at
, tell him that you have a Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber and he will provide you with great tubes that you will be able to swap with no problems.

Even then it's still a good idea to check the bias to make sure they're running correctly. God I'm so sick if this bull{censored}.

• Members

Only if you get the right tubes. Read this post again CAREFULLY

Even then it's still a good idea to check the bias to make sure they're running correctly. God I'm so sick if this bull{censored}.

Well if I get the right tubes I should be okay then right? I'll contact the guy at dougstubes.com and I'm sure he can tell me what tubes I should put in it. What happens if it the amp isnt biased correctly anyway?

• Members

I have a 50 Marshal JMP. 2 Wnged EL34's 3 12AX7's. $250 price tag from my amp tech. I got the amp back and thought it was to trebbly. So I brought it back, he changed a cap, no charge, I took it home. I decided it was still to trebbly and I brought it in again... I said I need it darker, mod it... he changed some caps and resistors and tada... no extra charges, retubed, modded, biased, cleaned, and looked at by the best amp tech in Minnesota (Savage Audio, or Savage Amplifiers)... $250. Money well spent to make wure my investment was going to be able to rock as hard as I wanted it to .

• Members

If it were not rebiased properly it would just run the tubes down quicker and change the tone some. But Mesa's cannot be rebiased without moding.

Then then I should be fine just swapping the tubes without touching anything else then? Just making sure cause I dont wanna fuck up my amp :o.

• Members

I had a DC3. I put JJ's in it and the dealer I bought them from said that they are the same as the Mesa tubes. And you won't f-up your amp... this is the way theya are designed. Its in your manual. If you don't have the manual you can download it from Mesa's sight.

• Members

Thanks alot tietjen! It says not to replace the preamp tubes unless a specific problem arises, but I've had the amp for almost 2 years and havent replaced the tubes yet so I think I'll just replace all of them. I'm gonna email the guy at dougstubes.com tonight and see what he suggests to put in my amp.

• Members

Hey-- FWIW, Doug lives in Wantagh. I'm not sure if he's still cool with this, but I just went to his house to pickup tubes when I needed a new set (maybe I'll call him and head there this weekend). I'm sure if you've never changed them he'd be willing to sit down and show you how, though it's literally pull old out, push new in.

He's a great guy and has some of the best prices as well.

• Members

Yeah I noticed he had a 516 area code number on his site. I myself live in Suffolk county and a ride out to Wantagh would probably only be about an hour away. I'll try to get in touch with him and see if he's ok with me driving out there and picking some tubes up (and to get him to show me how to fix/replace everything in my amp :D). Plus I wouldnt have to wait for the tubes to ship out.

Archived