Wood Keyboard Stand/ Would you buy one?

oceancruze1

• Members

I am a musician but also a cabinetmaker. If I were to offer and make in my cabinet shop a wood keyboard stand made out of a nice veneer cherry, maple, oak or birch plywood and then stain or paint it would anyone buy it? Would there be a market for this? Possibly something you would leave in the home and have it as a piece of furniture rather than the stupid rack we put em on!

• Members

Would you happen to have some photos or maybe more detailed descriptions?

I have my keyboards set-up in my rehearsal area, and my DAW set up in a seperate room with it's own dedicated MIDI controller, but on occassion, I will need to take a keyboard from my rehearsal room and get it to my PC (for various reasons)

It's too much of a pain in the nuts to physically have to clean off my desk, make room, and then the physical aspect of carrying the keyboard over to the room I have my PC, so I just place whatever keyboard I need on the custom wooden stand and roll it over. It's primarily used for the Oasys, but I'll use it for whatever I need at the time.

I would suspect most people have everything in one room and have no need for the way I complicate my keyboard world, but this works for me at the moment.

Here is the custom made stand I use when I need to roll a keyboard from the A-Frame stand, and get it to the PC:

The nice thing is that it has lockable wheels. The guy I bought my Oasys from made it himself using about $400 worth of materials, but I use it for whatever keyboard I need to move to the PC:

IMG_0984.jpg

• Members

Yea they love using particle board cause it cheap. Now they have OSB which is a good product but no finish on it. Plywood is heavy and so shipping would kill ya and of course you gotta keep it cheap especially in this wonderful economy we inherited from Bush!

• Members

No I have not made any just yet for myself but will most likely since it stays in the home and would look alot nicer housed in something. However I have been looking for something to build and an opportunity to make some money utilizing my skill and trade as a cabinetmaker. Maybe go into mass production if there is a market for something like this. Sides and top will be a nice veneer plywood, banded so it looks like solid wood and curved and routed so it will be a piece of furniture complementing what you allready have in the room.

• Members

There are always cheap/free pianos on craigslist... I would take one and strip it down to the cabinet, add a digital piano to it and call it a day. For those who have to spend money there's always the Slam Grand piano shells used in dueling piano bars.

• Members

No you don't understand. Veneer plywood, big difference. A cabinetmaker today uses materials other than solid hardwoods because of the high cost. Looks like solid wood after its been edge banded or you put a stip of sold wood pinned onto the edge and route it. Even solid pine is expensive now due to China buying up all our wood. A lesson in woodworking 101.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Yes I would. Not a fan of laminate -- prefer solid but can't afford it -- bottom line, you don't have any competition out there and some of us will use and appreciate it. Add a trick embellishment (preferably functional) and people will find that they need one even if they don't.

• Members

Even Hammond organs are not single pieces of solid wood, the cabinets are laminated together and covered with 1/20" walnut veneer.

Solid wood is also not as dimensionally stable as laminates, in particular plywood. I'll go for high-quality plywood with thick hardwood veneer every time.

Wes

• Members

"Yea they love using particle board cause it cheap.    Now they have OSB which is a good product but no finish on it.    Plywood is heavy and so shipping would kill ya and of course you gotta keep it cheap especially in this wonderful economy we inherited from Bush!"

Business 101: Don't offend half your potential customer base.

• 6 years later...
  • Members
On 10/4/2010 at 5:03 AM, oceancruze1 said:

I am a musician but also a cabinetmaker. If I were to offer and make in my cabinet shop a wood keyboard stand made out of a nice veneer cherry, maple, oak or birch plywood and then stain or paint it would anyone buy it? Would there be a market for this? Possibly something you would leave in the home and have it as a piece of furniture rather than the stupid rack we put em on!

Hi there!  I would like to know how much a stand like this would cost me?  I am a middle school chorus and piano teacher, and I have NO budget.  Once I know how much this is, I can work to raise the money to purchase it.  

I just received a Yamaha Digital Piano P-515 from the county, and it would be best to be able to roll it around easily.  My classroom is outside and separate from the cafeteria/performance location.  We have an upright piano, but it has issues with tuning (Possibly because they don't leave the AC on in here at night or on the weekends.) and B: one of the legs was broken very badly while it was being moved for a concert.  So, it lives in the cafeteria and has to stay there.  I also have a bad back, so it helps to be able to roll things easily.  

Thank You,

Mandy Papenbrock

• 2 weeks later...

Mandy, you're responding to a ten year old post, so there's a good chance you won't get a reply. However, Yamaha does make a stand that is designed to work with your keyboard. Here's a link to a very good dealer who sells them at a fair price:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/L515BK--yamaha-l515-piano-stand-black

It doesn't have wheels though... although I suppose you could have a couple of students lift the whole thing up and place it on a furniture dolly or two to roll it from place to place if you needed to. 

• Members
10 hours ago, Voltan said:

what a shame! i got excited thinking i might finally have stumbled. across someone that could make a quality guchin table!   fingers crossed ... lollol... 

build your own? time...

these days I'm getting stands and cases portable

I like wood

but too heavy for the move

• Members
14 hours ago, nice keetee said:

build your own? time...

these days I'm getting stands and cases portable

I like wood

but too heavy for the move

im no cabinet maker...  probably not much of a frame carpenter anymore...  these ‘ch’in tables, or stands, are made to resonate and increase the volume of a very quiet instrument.  the one i like has a rectangular hole in the top for the tassels, which are part of the tuning system...   very simple, clean lines with no carvings...  and longer than the instrument...  the new style tables are short, have no hole so they can be dual purpose...  (i have no interest in it being other than a stand for the instrument.)

and i usually have help moving my gear these days...  a table like this doesnt compare in weight to moving the subwoofers...  

16 hours ago, nice keetee said:

build your own? time...

Yeah, time... and skills. 

I'm no carpenter either. I tried making a couple of 19" equipment racks, and while they're serviceable, they're nothing special to look at. In fact, a decent carpenter would probably laugh at them. 

Archived