GAS Alert: Roland AX Synth vs Lucina AX09

• Members

They have a good schtick going in their videos. Not a bad guitar lead on the Ax Synth in that video (though I bet someone will disagree!)

I agree, it's good pop. But when the AX lead part got really virtuosic, the camera cuts away. Shens?

It happens in this vid, too. (But overall it's still pretty good.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI5ze9rBlpk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0">

• Members

[YOUTUBE]xTwweLJ78KE[/YOUTUBE]

but my favorite:

[YOUTUBE]bWMEzMHIkco[/YOUTUBE]

This has some hilarious one liners in it:

"I'm not sure who who St. Pancreas was, but as far as I'm concerned he must have been the Patron Saint of Massive Train? Stations."

"How did you find the gig?" "I...I came? with the others!"

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Members

I own both Rolands, the Lucina first, then I bought the Ax-Synth. I've been a keyboard player since the early 70s, jazz, rock, funk, top 40, broadway, standards, originals...that about covers it. Was a Hammond B3&C3 player..then 2 DX-100s ..left hand bass had me get the bottom DX100. With all that said...the Lucina "feels" best, its compact, you wont whack anyone's skull with it...BUT ..the keys ..when you get cookin' the keys seem to lack padding ..so you hear woodpecker sounds under the keys as they hit bottom . ANNOYING to say the least. 2nd...you only have 3 octaves..so you have to jerk around moving positions of your licks while messing with the octave buttons which are NOT in a good place. While you'd have your hand IN the rectangel hole using the ribbon and trem bar..you have to pull your hand out and use the octave buttons constantly. IMHO..That needs moving in the next *if any* evolution of the Lucina. The sounds are ok..but guitar sounds..theres only a couple that are any good far as I like. Of all the other sounds..my best evaluation is "OK" but none awesome.

Now the Ax-Synth. With the right amp...THIS is made for the serious keyboard player. You have enough octaves to play most any lick and if you DO have to do octave changes, the buttons are under the "neck" where your fingers are ANYWAY. The guitar sounds are killer. and again ...just as a guitar player has to do ...you have to mess with what the guitar sound is ...relative to the amp settings ...but at least you HAVE that to do with ...the Lucina ....eh ..sorta kinda maybe ....So ..if your serious about playing well...the AX-Synth now comes in black....and the layout will work for you as you learn to "use it" as well as working your licks to fit less than a 61 note keyboard. If your out to stand next to a guitar player thats any good....the AX-Synth will do ya proud.   The Lucina I'll keep..but use it for left hand bass on a rack ..or work on tweaking the relationship between the horns and amp ...to use it as a trumpet/sax thing...since I used to play trumpet for 30 yrs till a facial nerve with south. Bottom line to this BOOK I didnt intend to write....if you can afford it.....I HIGHLY suggest the Ax-Synth for every reason it's advertised. (oh yeah ..get a case for it ...you dont want to carry around 1200 worth of synth in anything less. Good luck man.

• Members

markproject wrote:

Now the Ax-Synth. With the right amp...THIS is made for the serious keyboard player. You have enough octaves to play most any lick and if you DO have to do octave changes, the buttons are under the "neck" where your fingers are ANYWAY. The guitar sounds are killer. and again ...just as a guitar player has to do ...you have to mess with what the guitar sound is ...relative to the amp settings ...but at least you HAVE that to do with ...the Lucina ....eh ..sorta kinda maybe ....So ..if your serious about playing well...the AX-Synth now comes in black....and the layout will work for you as you learn to "use it" as well as working your licks to fit less than a 61 note keyboard. If your out to stand next to a guitar player thats any good....the AX-Synth will do ya proud.   The Lucina I'll keep..but use it for left hand bass on a rack ..or work on tweaking the relationship between the horns and amp ...to use it as a trumpet/sax thing...since I used to play trumpet for 30 yrs till a facial nerve with south. Bottom line to this BOOK I didnt intend to write....if you can afford it.....I HIGHLY suggest the Ax-Synth for every reason it's advertised. (oh yeah ..get a case for it ...you dont want to carry around 1200 worth of synth in anything less. Good luck man.

My only bitch with the AX Synth is that - for reasons that I can only assume were deliberate - Roland designed it with several "shortcomings" that seriously handicap it's ability to be used as a controller.   For guys who'd like to use the AX Synth to trigger sounds from their "stationary" rigs (which often offer a much broader sound palatte from synth engines that are far more powerful than that contained in the AX synth) - it can be a big deal.

The specific "shortcomings" anybody thinking about purchasing an AX synth for use as a controller needs to be aware of are as follows:

•  The AX Synth can only store and transmit "Program #'s".   If you want/need to store and transmit MSB and/or LSB data along with Program #'s in order to access patches on whatever you're controlling with the AX synth ... fuggedaboudit.  
  •  The AX Synth does NOT transmit volume data (MIDI CC #007) via it's MIDI implementation.   If you step away from your "stationary" rig while using it as a controller - and need to turn up a little or turn down a little - it's another case of fuggedaboudit.  You'll need to use whatever pedals, knobs or sliders you use when playing your "stationary" rig to tweak your volume.   This is a HUGE issue if you've stepped away from your "stationary" rig.   

Combined - these two shortcomings put a HUGE dent in the AX Synth's suitability for use as a controller.     ...and yes, I consider them shortcoming.  Who the heck releases a product these days with a MIDI implementation that doesn't accommodate MSB/LSB data - or that can't transmit volume control data (CC #007)???  It was certainly a huge WTF! moment when I realized that was the case.

Personally, I'd recommend an AX synth - but only with a BIG Caveat Emptor warning because of these two shortcomings! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I play a Lucina from time to time. I'm pushing 60, 6 foot 5 and 260ish pounds. Who cares what I look like..!

I run the raw sounds through a tc electronics m300 for some reverb and for the guitar sounds I add in some phasing and just play it like a guitar. There's a couple of reasonable organ sounds on it and at least one reasonable pad. I've even subbed for the bass player from time to time with it.

Lately I've been experimenting with using it just as a midi controller, driving a rack unit and the m300. I program the sounds in sequential rack banks and save the corresponding lucina patch as a favorite on the lucina. Then I just need to switch favorites to switch banks on the rack.

I am also experimenting with a wireless midi setup.

Personally I like the lucina, just replace the default strap buttons with proper strap locks. I even converted a guitar stand to a stand to hold it so I can stand it up on stage when not in use.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Today I was in a local music store here in Nagano-city, JAPAN.  While paying for a guitar pedal, I turned around and saw two brand new Lucina AX-09's for $250 on Sale for New Years.  What caught my eye other than the price was the black model.  I immediately liked it.  When I posted a while back in this thread I had seen the white version and it didn't really perk my interest.  However, the sparkled black color was pretty nifty.  

I then asked why so cheap, and the sales manager said they didn't sell well and were getting rid of them.  I said even the black one?  He replied that the black one had always been in the back room.  The white one was always on display which might explain why.  He didn't say if Roland would stop making them, but he definitely said people at least in his circle were not buying.  So I bought the last black one.

I brought it home and I'm extremely happy with it.  The sounds are decent, but it's the midi out that was important to me so that I could connect to external sound modules.  The weight is perfect for me, the smaller size body is great, and having it battery powered with on board sounds makes it fun to roam the house or studio while practicing.  A lot of people don't like the USB stick gimmick but I actually think it's useful for throwing on a sampled track and jamming to it.  Or you can music minus one a track on a song you're creating and work out some solid lead lines on the go.  

Also, if you're into the loop thing with the Boss RC-300 or RC-505 for example, you can easily record tracks while quickly being able to get the Lucina on and off your shoulders.  Or you can easily set it on a stand if you have quick strap locks.

Note that I also have and use a Roland AX-7, Korg RK-100, and a Yamaha KX-5.  I don't like the weight of the KX-5 at all really and it's a bit tiny for my big hands.  The AX-7 is nice but a little big and VERY squeaky.  The plastic noise drives me nuts and it doesn't feel very solid.  The Korg RK-100 hands down is the best experience I've ever had with a keytar.  The problem is that they are ultra hard to find and expensive generally if you do, so I don't recommend it...laugh.  Oh boy, the RK-100 is great though if you find one.  I'm also a guitar player and the RK-100 is the closest to the feeling of a real guitar with the wooden body, weight, and all.  

The Lucina fits well though and I'm quite happy with it.  Sure, the newer AX synth would be cool, but due to the fact I have the other keytars, I just don't see the need.

I'd definitely recommend keeping an eye on the black Lucina.  Not that it will become a classic, but it just might become hard to get very soon.  I also think Roland could update the AX synth in the future, but I personally think they're going to leave the Lucina behind.  Get it while you can!

Archived