Using a Boss Metal Zone as an Overdrive/Boost

Introspectre

• Members

After listening to Cannibal Corpse's newest album, Kill, I decided to dig my old Metal Zone out again, since I heard that's what they used as a boost/overdrive on that album. I've been fucking around with it a bit, trying to get some sounds appropriate for a boost, and I've come across some half decent tones.

Right now, I have the level maxed, gain either all the way down or at 9 o'clock, treble at noon, bass at 3 o'clock, mid just before noon, and mid presence just after noon. Everything on my Valve King is maxed, aside from resonance which is at noon. It doesn't sound too bad, and I'm successfully avoiding the pedal's characteristic harshness/coldness/shrillness by keeping the treble lower.

If anyone else uses a Boss Metal Zone as an overdrive/boost, what are your settings? I'd really appreciate some help dialing it in. Thanks for any suggestions in advance. :thu:

• Members

The most common use is all the EQ knobs at noon, volume max, and gain at 0.

I think that really makes a lot of amps more aggressive, but I like to turn the teeny mid one back a notch, to get rid of a bit of squakiness it can bring with certain amps.

It does make a cool boost for aggressive styles, where you want a compressed aggressive tone.

• Members

I think that really makes a lot of amps more aggressive, but I like to turn the teeny mid one back a notch, to get rid of a bit of squakiness it can bring with certain amps.

It does make a cool boost for aggressive styles, where you want a compressed aggressive tone.

Thanks for the info. :thu: Yeah, I'm actually really digging the sounds I'm getting out of it. I have it right beside my TS9, so I can choose between more aggressive, compressed tones, or vintage style overdrive. I agree about keeping the mid down a bit to avoid squawkiness, too.

• Members

I use the volume at noon, and bass at 1:30 or so. everything else at noon gain zero. Works great for me, but any riff that involves the treble strings gets that nasally wah sound to it.

• Members

Using one on a high gain amp sucks.

I mean even with the distortion OFF and the level adjusted... It still has this rattling dirty weak distortion coming thorugh, Adjusting the amp doesnt help.

It sucks.

Unless you just use it like it was meant and put it through the clean channel. Then ive gotten some really nice sounds.

• Members

I mean even with the distortion OFF and the level adjusted... It still has this rattling dirty weak distortion coming thorugh, Adjusting the amp doesnt help.

It sucks.

Unless you just use it like it was meant and put it through the clean channel. Then ive gotten some really nice sounds.

Ive also got some good tones out of the metal zone on the dirt channel on my amp with the gain backed all the way off to just an almost breaking up clean tone. however, the same mt settings on the clean channel dont come close to sounding good.

• Members

It sucks.

I have to respectfully disagree with this post. I've never been able to get a tone to my liking using it as a distortion pedal. As a boost, however, I think it works famously. That's funny to me considering it's original purpose is to act as a distortion pedal.

But...to each their own. :)

• Members

It sucks.

mine is Keeley modded, but what you've described is exactly how mine has sounded.

i was pretty disappointed with mine, untill i tried it with the clean channel.

• Members

I use the Kirk Windstein (Crowbar) settings:

Level - 10

EQ section - all at noon

Dist - 0

It seems to colour the amps natural tone the least when the whole EQ section is at noon. I back off the gain on the amp a little more than i would with an ordinary boost, cause the mt-2 really kicks the front end of the amp hard, especially when the level is cranked up.

• Members

I have to respectfully disagree with this post. I've never been able to get a tone to my liking using it as a distortion pedal. As a boost, however, I think it works famously. That's funny to me considering it's original purpose is to act as a distortion pedal.

But...to each their own.
:)

+1

• Members

i use mine with my ampeg. i used to keep my gain on 10. now i keep it on about 3 with the metalzone with the level maxed, no gain and everything at 12. basically gives the same tone as maxing the gain unboosted but with a little clearer punchier more hifi feel

Hey, check out what i scored:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230167911656&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D230167911656%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

Pretty good deal IMO. I'll let you know how i think it compares to the gx130c when it arrives.

• Members

Pretty good deal IMO. I'll let you know how i think it compares to the gx130c when it arrives.

dude thats a steal! id like to hear some clips with that amp. I think that and the crate are pretty damn close. the crate might be a little smoother and have a tad less low end but thats about it.

• Members

Oh wow! You suck dude. Killer deal. I expect clips!

• Members

dude thats a steal! id like to hear some clips with that amp. I think that and the crate are pretty damn close. the crate might be a little smoother and have a tad less low end but thats about it.

Yeah, they usually sell for a bit more than that, that`s why i went for it.

Hope i can get that white paint out though.

Archived