Is Peavey Classic 30 - 112 loud enough for small/medium club performance ?

vicknott

• Members

I'm planning to use it with 2 different bands: a blues/fusion project and a modern metal band.

It will be my first tube amp so I have 2 more questions:

1. 30 W tube = how much W solid state ?

2. What difference does it make the number of tubes, soundwise ? For example, this Peavey has 4 EL84/3 12AX7, Epi Valve jr. has 1/1, Mesa Rectoverb has 2/5.

Thanks.

• Members

I think that the Classic 30 112 will work great for Blues/Fusion stuff, especially in clubs (you'll be able to crank it, and get that power amp cooking).

However, I don't recommend it for modern metal stuff, since the bottom end isn't very tight, and the amp has a distinct midrange voicing that doesn't work well with modern metal tones. Plus, the clean headroom isn't great (being that it is a lower wattage amp than what many modern metal bands use). These are all reasons why this amp is good for blues though- just don't expect it to be versatile enough for both styles.

If you do want this amp still, I recommend getting a decent metal-voiced distortion pedal, like a EHX Metal Muff.

As for the volume, it is a very loud amp, regardless of the wattage. You will easily be able to use it in clubs, and it blows away almost any solid state amp, volume-wise.

I can't comment on the number of tubes question. Maybe someone else can chime in ....

• Members

Thanks.

If Peavey Classic 30 is not good for what I want, so what is a good 30W tube amp for blues and which take pedals very good (especially a distortion pedal to get a metal sound) ?

Possibly one of the little Mesas, 5:25 or F-30.

• Members

I use a nano metal muff in front of mine and it's great!

This is what I do as well.

I still don't think that it works great at the type of volume needed to play in small/medium clubs (unless you keep the amp at a fairly low volume and mic it), but it works great for lower volumes, and for recording.

• Members

By loud...if you mean to be heard over the drummer...Yes. But certainly you'd want to Mic the amp to evenly spread the sound in the room. The whole SS vs tube thing is confusing but I do know that my 50 watt Rectoverb or Crate 30 watter eats my Crate 60 watt SS amp.

The number of tubes is a correlation to wattage.

For 6L6 and El34 - 2 = 50watts, 4 = 100watts

For EL84 1 = 5watts, 2 = 15-18 watts, 4 = 30watts..(as a guideline)

I'm planning to use it with 2 different bands: a blues/fusion project and a modern metal band.

It will be my first tube amp so I have 2 more questions:

1. 30 W tube = how much W solid state ?

2. What difference does it make the number of tubes, soundwise ? For example, this Peavey has 4 EL84/3 12AX7, Epi Valve jr. has 1/1, Mesa Rectoverb has 2/5.

Thanks.

• Members

I play blues and modern hard rock I don't have any clips but I am betting

you won't be dissatified with the result Also you get a set of high gain tubes

from bob at eurotubes he does wonders for these amps I have played a couple of small venues with it cranked very solid amps!

• Members

Bump for this:

If Peavey Classic 30 is not good for what I want, so what is a good 30W tube amp for blues and which take pedals very good (especially a distortion pedal to get a metal sound) ?

You can use a pedal with the Classic 30 and get some heavy sounds, but the biggest issues is getting that low end thump from an open back 112 combo voiced for blues and rock.

I would check out the Valveking line from Peavey as well as the Mesa F-30 or express amps as mentioned earlier.

30Watts tube is plenty to gig with. If you are willing to mic the amp, which you should anyway, pretty much any amp will work for gigs. I am probably going to use a 5Watt Fender Champion 600 for gigs....

• Members

i would second the not good for metal take. not enough bottom end... not really tight enough with some pedals. the gain channel definitely won't do metal. this is a great amp though, and loud too. watts don't necess. equal volume.

That's retarded. It has TOO MUCH bass IMO. I always keep it all the way down. If you turn it up, it's completely overbearing. No one would ever be able to tell what you're playing.

I use the CLEAN channel with NO PEDALS and I play heavy stuff. I just turn it up all the way. It's plenty tight and plenty distorted with the proper guitar. I can trem pick on the low strings and do percussive palm mutes and all that crap all day long. The distortion channel has a hell of a lot more gain than I'd expect of something called a "Classic," and that's without cranking the amp up at all.

I'm not going to tell you it's a death metal amp, but the rest of that was just way off base.

I use the head with a slanted 2x12 and those Warehouse Veteran 30s, though, not the combo. I've only ever cared for the head. I think the speaker in the combo sounds like absolute {censored}. The head and any cab I've ever tried, except the actual Classic 2x12 with the same {censored} speakers, was a HUGE improvement.

• Members

Actually, it's probably as good a choice as any.... you really want two fairly disparate things... A 1x12 30W is necessarily going to be a compromise for metal in most cases... but it should cover blues to hard rock to a "T".

Since the C30 takes pedals well, too, just experiment with specific pedals until you find one that works or use a preamp into the FX loop.

It can also power an extension cab which might help some with achieving the type of bass you want when in metal mode.

As noted it's loud as hell for its size.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Bump for this:

There are tons and tons of good budget choices, of which the C30 is certainly one of them. Who said it wasn't?

• Members

Dude:

Amps are all personal preference. This amp with a nice boost pedal into it (I mainly use a digitech bad monkey, I got mine for free, but they're super cheap, comparable to a TS9 and they have Low and High vs TS9's have just "tone" which is only high) I have the Classic 50 head, as you see in my avatar. My band does more of a southern metal feel, and I can usually pull it off pretty well for that.

If you go to www.myspace.com/sonsofmourning - that is the band I most recently recorded with. Unfortunately, I can't remember which songs I did my classic dirty, but all of the cleans except for one I did with my classic, and then an Orange for the other.

Hope that helps. It all depends. I like a really heavy mids southern boosted sound (when I'm not using my H/K for teh br3tawlz) and it definitaly does teh job. Plus it's covered in fur, so you just can't go wrong.

Archived